Author Topic: RODEN STREET  (Read 40071 times)

jemmy hope

Re: RODEN STREET
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 04:08:13 PM »
I briefly worked for Mr Nelson delivering papers on the w yRy hooden St. route. I quit the job some months later and put in a word for my friend from Blackwater St. That friend was Brendan (The Dark) Hughes. He delivered papers for a couple of years for The Nelsons--funny how things work out.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

colin randell

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 06:47:04 PM »
hi farnsbarn 100% right there was a pawnshop there next door was yet an orther newsagent outside the bus stop if you remember and a printing place a wee small shop his far then the gateway and then the hardware shops which you could walk from one to the other without leaving the shops and the post office was between theses two i dont remember a undertaker up this far my undertaker was the corner of venice street owned by the mackies john i think but not sure or was that the sons name .Imust admit you still  have a good memory dont worry when i remember the name i will be right back if dawson doesnt arrive first ha ha                                                                                                 farnsbarn link=topic=20556.msg1107915#msg1107915 date=1333341384]
    Hi Colin, The sweet shop next to Fusco's was a newsagent and tobacconist, it was called Nelson's. When I was an apprentice, I painted the sign above the shop, it was just at the tram stop (no, not the horse tram) and when the tram stopped, I could feel all the faces staring at my neck, I always had to clean my brush when that happened, I could reach out and touch the tram, it was so close. My Dad asked me had a fly fallen into the paint and landed on the sign. Years later, when I was a journeyman, I went back and painted it again for nothing. About the post office, there's a picture of it in the Excise St. thread, I think it's called Grosvenor St. Post Office, it was facing Arundel St. Next door was an undertakers, and there was a young girl lived there called Valerie Cook. Wasn't there a pawnshop at the corner of McDonald St. and Grosvenor Rd.?
             Ask me another!
                Farnsbarn.

jemmy hope

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
You are right Colin, there was a pawnshop on the corner of McDonald St.  I think it was called Kanes.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

olelad

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »
the rawsons i mentioned was brian and jim. didnt know them that well but brian was in the same year as me in school. good guitarest to say the least. no idea were on the rd they lived.

andy

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:22 PM »
 anyone on here know the rankins from beit street, or their where abouts now
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

colin randell

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »
  Hi shylock first of all  danny farr is called farrell sorry about that danny who still has a shop going on the springfield road i dont know if danny is still going or died  secondly hughie was the owner of the shop before alfie his name of was hughie kellaghre lived about durham street or where abouts hope your sitting hughie sold it in 1963 after running it for about five years or more so alfie worked there from 63,64 year till 1973 hope your still sitting was alfie called thompson if not he has been in partnership with c thompson who owned the shop till 1973 then vanished i dont know where but he or she did now i work 12hour shifts so the next time im off the library is were im going to just to see what i can find out. I didnt work for alfie but if i was in the shop with lol32? and you had left shoes in to get mended and you needed them that night alfie would have asked me to deliver them if he was shutting up shop going home also your photo is of the donegall road one because the one in roden street just had the enterance door when you opened the door all you had was his counter all his gear behind it and pigeon holes were he kept all the shoes in as you can see from your photo thats why i said how did he have a pee? nothing there to pee in good neighbours maybe now im still working over the easter break but my first day of im interested find out were c thompson went would you have the number of the donegall road shop? wont matter if you havnt ill soon find out                         regards colin                                                                                                                                                                                           
Hi Farnsburn, pardon my 'butting in' to your comment to Colin - perhaps the bloke with the short leg sold/rented the shop to my Uncle Alfie when he retired? or maybe Uncle Alfie learned his trade from the Mr McGeghey you recall? Will definitely have to chase dad up for some questions, re Uncle ALfie's shoe repair business! Funny, I never remember hearing the dogs you've all mentioned! I guess that's just one of the quirks of the human mind!

colin randell

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2012, 10:42:30 PM »
 Hi farnsbarn the shop across the blackie bridge next to thompsons yard i dont know what they did in there but it belonged to thompsons of simon street the flagstone people well your shoe shop and my sweet shop was owned by muriel collins well collins anyway                  regards colin                                                                                                                                                           
   Hi Colin,
                  When I lived in Excise St., there was a shoe repair shop in the first door past the `Blackie' bridge on the left hand side of Roden St. going towards the Donegall Rd. The guy that owned it had a short leg, and wore a built-up boot to correct it. I'm almost sure that his name was McGeghey, and he was a really friendly guy, he always had a joke or a riddle for the kids when we were going past.
          Regards,
                farnsbarn.

colin randell

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
  alex with the big ringed glasses if i remember right was called the roden cash stores  the next shop down was  even better again one or two houses between them 87 i think was John   Devreux  mostly was a green grocer store but sold everything                                                                                                                                                               
ANYONE REMEMBER ALECS SHOP IN RODEN STREET .ALEC WORE THESE BIG BI-FOCAL GLASSES.

colin randell

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2012, 11:05:24 PM »
 Hi feejeeks benny lieghio might have been in partnership with the chippy but never worked in it. it was stanley malinden that run that with his wife and big benny remember him?  stanley sold bennys  icecream from a  three wheeler pushbike and if you can remember i think he pushed it more than rode it there was a woman sold icecream from a threewheeler that lived about drew street she used to bang a biscuit lid of the top                                        regards colin                                                                                                                                     o                                                                                                                                                             
what about Liggio,s fish and chip shop

Shylock

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 11:24:09 PM »
  Hi shylock first of all  danny farr is called farrell sorry about that danny who still has a shop going on the springfield road i dont know if danny is still going or died  secondly hughie was the owner of the shop before alfie his name of was hughie kellaghre lived about durham street or where abouts hope your sitting hughie sold it in 1963 after running it for about five years or more so alfie worked there from 63,64 year till 1973 hope your still sitting was alfie called thompson if not he has been in partnership with c thompson who owned the shop till 1973 then vanished i dont know where but he or she did now i work 12hour shifts so the next time im off the library is were im going to just to see what i can find out. I didnt work for alfie but if i was in the shop with lol32? and you had left shoes in to get mended and you needed them that night alfie would have asked me to deliver them if he was shutting up shop going home also your photo is of the donegall road one because the one in roden street just had the entrance door when you opened the door all you had was his counter all his gear behind it and pigeon holes were he kept all the shoes in as you can see from your photo thats why i said how did he have a pee? nothing there to pee in good neighbours maybe now im still working over the easter break but my first day of im interested find out were c thompson went would you have the number of the donegall road shop? wont matter if you havnt ill soon find out                         regards colin                                                                                                                                                                                           
Hi Colin,
Nice to hear from you again, now, re Danny Farrell, I have no idea who he is and know nothing about him, but that's ok, it was interesting reading who owned Uncle Alfie's shop before him. so Hughie Kellagher owned the shop, then he sold it to Uncle Alfie back in '63 who stayed there till '73, when Uncle Alfie moved to the Donegall Road shop  - don't know what number it was but my brother pointed it out to me when I was over there 18 mths ago - not too far over the bridge if my memory serves me right - on the left hand side if that's any help. Now here's some info for you - yes Uncle Alfie was a Thompson and the C Thompson you mention would've been his oldest brother, Cecil who lived in Canada - I only ever met Uncle Cecil during the time when he came over from Canada in the early 70's for a holiday with his family.  I would have been around 13, 14, or 15 at the time and we were living in Donegall Avenue in the wee corner shop at the top of Pembroke Street, He had 3 daughters who's names all began with a C as well! Perhaps the 2 brothers formed a partnership before Uncle Cecil returned to Canada?  Uncle Cecil lived in Canada for many years and was a minister over there. He passed away relatively recently [in the last few years] after suffering a severe stroke.
P.S. I suspected the photo was of the Donegall Road shop and your comments prove that it was so - My sister was last in Belfast in '78 when she took the photo and if he moved there in '73 then that would definetly  put him in Donegall Road. I suspect he might've moved there after mid '73 as I emigrated in June of that year and my parents emigrated in April of the same year.

colin randell

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »
 Hi shylock well im glad its all coming together for you you solved the name thompson so now i can try and get photos from the archives if there is such a thing i dont know or even if i did i still dont know how to put them on the forum i have tried before on an orther part of the forum with no luck i just ruined the photos when i scanned them they bubbled up on me so i have never tried again alfies number must be about 332to 340 donegall road but i will find out for you                     regards colin                                                                                                                                               
Hi Colin,
Nice to hear from you again, now, re Danny Farrell, I have no idea who he is and know nothing about him, but that's ok, it was interesting reading who owned Uncle Alfie's shop before him. so Hughie Kellagher owned the shop, then he sold it to Uncle Alfie back in '63 who stayed there till '73, when Uncle Alfie moved to the Donegall Road shop  - don't know what number it was but my brother pointed it out to me when I was over there 18 mths ago - not too far over the bridge if my memory serves me right - on the left hand side if that's any help. Now here's some info for you - yes Uncle Alfie was a Thompson and the C Thompson you mention would've been his oldest brother, Cecil who lived in Canada - I only ever met Uncle Cecil during the time when he came over from Canada in the early 70's for a holiday with his family.  I would have been around 13, 14, or 15 at the time and we were living in Donegall Avenue in the wee corner shop at the top of Pembroke Street, He had 3 daughters who's names all began with a C as well! Perhaps the 2 brothers formed a partnership before Uncle Cecil returned to Canada?  Uncle Cecil lived in Canada for many years and was a minister over there. He passed away relatively recently [in the last few years] after suffering a severe stroke.
P.S. I suspected the photo was of the Donegall Road shop and your comments prove that it was so - My sister was last in Belfast in '78 when she took the photo and if he moved there in '73 then that would definetly  put him in Donegall Road. I suspect he might've moved there after mid '73 as I emigrated in June of that year and my parents emigrated in April of the same year.

colin randell

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
 Hi farnsbarn again now we will try you the trams up and down the grosvenor road a person was on his push bike and his front wheel got stuck in the track he fell off and the cowcatcher caught him and his bike this was around the albert foundary near turin street people were shouting to stop the tram which the driver didnt do till the next stop when the cyclist and bike was pulled out he was only badly shaken with badly bruised now i dont know what year but would you know he name? the clue is he also had a brother who also rode and raced them and his name was called Billy  its not a trick question this did happen                                      regards colin                                                                                                                                                               
    Hi Colin, The sweet shop next to Fusco's was a newsagent and tobacconist, it was called Nelson's. When I was an apprentice, I painted the sign above the shop, it was just at the tram stop (no, not the horse tram) and when the tram stopped, I could feel all the faces staring at my neck, I always had to clean my brush when that happened, I could reach out and touch the tram, it was so close. My Dad asked me had a fly fallen into the paint and landed on the sign. Years later, when I was a journeyman, I went back and painted it again for nothing. About the post office, there's a picture of it in the Excise St. thread, I think it's called Grosvenor St. Post Office, it was facing Arundel St. Next door was an undertakers, and there was a young girl lived there called Valerie Cook. Wasn't there a pawnshop at the corner of McDonald St. and Grosvenor Rd.?
             Ask me another!
                Farnsbarn.

spot

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »
  Hi shylock first of all  danny farr is called farrell sorry about that danny who still has a shop going on the springfield road i dont know if danny is still going or died  secondly hughie was the owner of the shop before alfie his name of was hughie kellaghre lived about durham street or where abouts hope your sitting hughie sold it in 1963 after running it for about five years or more so alfie worked there from 63,64 year till 1973 hope your still sitting was alfie called thompson if not he has been in partnership with c thompson who owned the shop till 1973 then vanished i dont know where but he or she did now i work 12hour shifts so the next time im off the library is were im going to just to see what i can find out. I didnt work for alfie but if i was in the shop with lol32? and you had left shoes in to get mended and you needed them that night alfie would have asked me to deliver them if he was shutting up shop going home also your photo is of the donegall road one because the one in roden street just had the enterance door when you opened the door all you had was his counter all his gear behind it and pigeon holes were he kept all the shoes in as you can see from your photo thats why i said how did he have a pee? nothing there to pee in good neighbours maybe now im still working over the easter break but my first day of im interested find out were c thompson went would you have the number of the donegall road shop? wont matter if you havnt ill soon find out                         regards colin                                                                                                                                                                                           

Danny Farrell Died about 15 years ago his family still run the carpet shops
Spot

colin randell

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »
 Hi spot thanks for that info with me not living about the grosvenor now you just assume that people just stays the same                regards colin                                                                                                                                                                   

Danny Farrell Died about 15 years ago his family still run the carpet shops

jimboy

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »
Hi folks my gr granfathers sister lived in roden street number 7 her name was Elizabeth (lizzie) Dowds.  She died in June 1962 also my great granparents William and Mary Dowds where buried from roden street.  Would ant one have any infor on them as a am putting together my family tree.    thanks  jim