Author Topic: RODEN STREET  (Read 40051 times)

colin randell

Re: RODEN STREET
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
  Hi jimboy i dont know the dowds from roden street but if you have anything on them let me know and i will try to find out for you this end of roden street was hell for swapping and changing except for the   number 1 piper or pyper you h ad the mallons and mcveighs   theses three familys were still there when we had to leave well two anyway or is this all the info that you have on them?                              regards  colin                                                                                                                                                         
Hi folks my gr granfathers sister lived in roden street number 7 her name was Elizabeth (lizzie) Dowds.  She died in June 1962 also my great granparents William and Mary Dowds where buried from roden street.  Would ant one have any infor on them as a am putting together my family tree.    thanks  jim

colin randell

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
 Hi shylock i have just relised what you said the shop in pembroke street was a chipie in my day are you saying it become a shop not a fish and chip shop                                                                                                                                                   
Hi Colin,
Nice to hear from you again, now, re Danny Farrell, I have no idea who he is and know nothing about him, but that's ok, it was interesting reading who owned Uncle Alfie's shop before him. so Hughie Kellagher owned the shop, then he sold it to Uncle Alfie back in '63 who stayed there till '73, when Uncle Alfie moved to the Donegall Road shop  - don't know what number it was but my brother pointed it out to me when I was over there 18 mths ago - not too far over the bridge if my memory serves me right - on the left hand side if that's any help. Now here's some info for you - yes Uncle Alfie was a Thompson and the C Thompson you mention would've been his oldest brother, Cecil who lived in Canada - I only ever met Uncle Cecil during the time when he came over from Canada in the early 70's for a holiday with his family.  I would have been around 13, 14, or 15 at the time and we were living in Donegall Avenue in the wee corner shop at the top of Pembroke Street, He had 3 daughters who's names all began with a C as well! Perhaps the 2 brothers formed a partnership before Uncle Cecil returned to Canada?  Uncle Cecil lived in Canada for many years and was a minister over there. He passed away relatively recently [in the last few years] after suffering a severe stroke.
P.S. I suspected the photo was of the Donegall Road shop and your comments prove that it was so - My sister was last in Belfast in '78 when she took the photo and if he moved there in '73 then that would definetly  put him in Donegall Road. I suspect he might've moved there after mid '73 as I emigrated in June of that year and my parents emigrated in April of the same year.

jimboy

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Hi colin all that i know is that my gr,granfather and gr,granmother and elizabeth where all buried from number 7. GR granparents in the late twenties to early 30's and elizabeth in june 1962.    jim

colin randell

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
Hi jimboy i was at the library today but i had no luck for you from 1920 to 1962 there was no name dowds lived in roden street well they weren,t on the register maybe they lived with someone who was registered sorry for this but it was fun looking                    regards colin                                                                                                                         
Hi colin all that i know is that my gr,granfather and gr,granmother and elizabeth where all buried from number 7. GR granparents in the late twenties to early 30's and elizabeth in june 1962.    jim

colin randell

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2012, 10:50:50 PM »
Hi shylock well i was at the library to-day and here is your info that i found out your uncle Aflie moved to the donegall road in 1974 as we said beforeThis time the  shop went under the name as Classic Shoe Repairs there was no name registered Alfie had this shop till 1984 then it become Annes Hair Stylist the number was 291 and it wasn,t next to the doctors as i though but in the same block next to a friend of mine called mcbride so thats all i can help you with but if you need  anything else give me a shout regards colin                                                                                                                                                             
Hi Colin,
Nice to hear from you again, now, re Danny Farrell, I have no idea who he is and know nothing about him, but that's ok, it was interesting reading who owned Uncle Alfie's shop before him. so Hughie Kellagher owned the shop, then he sold it to Uncle Alfie back in '63 who stayed there till '73, when Uncle Alfie moved to the Donegall Road shop  - don't know what number it was but my brother pointed it out to me when I was over there 18 mths ago - not too far over the bridge if my memory serves me right - on the left hand side if that's any help. Now here's some info for you - yes Uncle Alfie was a Thompson and the C Thompson you mention would've been his oldest brother, Cecil who lived in Canada - I only ever met Uncle Cecil during the time when he came over from Canada in the early 70's for a holiday with his family.  I would have been around 13, 14, or 15 at the time and we were living in Donegall Avenue in the wee corner shop at the top of Pembroke Street, He had 3 daughters who's names all began with a C as well! Perhaps the 2 brothers formed a partnership before Uncle Cecil returned to Canada?  Uncle Cecil lived in Canada for many years and was a minister over there. He passed away relatively recently [in the last few years] after suffering a severe stroke.
P.S. I suspected the photo was of the Donegall Road shop and your comments prove that it was so - My sister was last in Belfast in '78 when she took the photo and if he moved there in '73 then that would definetly  put him in Donegall Road. I suspect he might've moved there after mid '73 as I emigrated in June of that year and my parents emigrated in April of the same year.

jimboy

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »
Hi colin thanks for looking on weather they lived with someone i dont know but on the their city cemetery record thats where thier last place of residents was.   jim

olelad

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »
what schools was the catchment for govenor rd

colin randell

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
    Hi jimboy the reason why i asked that question is would you know a walker or mary kane these two names kept coming up for 7 roden street also know away the name dowds is as common as muck the most times it was registered was in 1920 and that was ten times up to 1962 no more than 5 times and this is for the whole of st.annes and an orther thing i found out about roden there was no number13                                                                                                                                                                         
Hi colin thanks for looking on weather they lived with someone i dont know but on the their city cemetery record thats where thier last place of residents was.   jim

colin randell

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
   Hi olelad there only was three schools queen victoria in durham street next was slate street and the third was kelvin secondary   is this a trick question?                          regards colin                                                                                                                                                         e
what schools was the catchment for govenor rd

olelad

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »
   Hi olelad there only was three schools queen victoria in durham street next was slate street and the third was kelvin secondary   is this a trick question?                          regards colin                                                                                                                                                         e

are these schools primary ? did that area come under the catchment area for st thomas,s ?

jimboy

« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »
Hi colin yes the name walker is in my family. Elizabeth dowds sister was Mary Ann (minnie) and she married a Samuel walker in 1900. samuel died very young and only married for 5/6 years.  Mary ann died in 1968 and was buried from 16 Eblana street and her daugther jane walker also buried from this address in 1971. All three are buried together in the city cemetery.  On my mothers side of the family there is kane's as thats my mothers maiden name and the came from bakers street.   jim

colin randell

« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2012, 11:49:47 PM »
 Hi olelad   st.thomas was a boys school  facing the belfast city cemetery miles away from the grosvenor road it closed down years ago and become rupbert standley collage its between falls road and springfield road i know only one person from roden street to go there (name withheld )  who be come a priest                                                                                                                                                                   

are these schools primary ? did that area come under the catchment area for st thomas,s ?

colin randell

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2012, 11:56:36 PM »
  Hi jimboy so all my work wasnt in vain im glad the only thing im sorry for i didnt take the different dates down between the names now i can see that the people who lived there was all related                        regards colin                                                                                                                                                                 
Hi colin yes the name walker is in my family. Elizabeth dowds sister was Mary Ann (minnie) and she married a Samuel walker in 1900. samuel died very young and only married for 5/6 years.  Mary ann died in 1968 and was buried from 16 Eblana street and her daugther jane walker also buried from this address in 1971. All three are buried together in the city cemetery.  On my mothers side of the family there is kane's as thats my mothers maiden name and the came from bakers street.   jim

colin randell

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:29 AM »
Hi feejeeks i though bennys song was three d a pokie o  benny wouldnt have been there charging  sixpence  when i was down there bennys 99 might have been 6d   remember a daddies wages was under 15pound a week not unless you were a boss. o by the way my mum though i had a permanent bed in that bloody cop shop there was one person in there (name with held ) hated me playing football court speeding on a push bike court his best was when i was about seventeen got me for beening drunk so he though i beat the bullocks out of him the best ten minutes i ever remember in that barracks o by the way i was left alone after his                 regards colin                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Spent a memorable night in Roden St, barracks many moons ago.
Also remember
Oh Benny Liggio
He sold ice creamio
Sixpence a pokio
Oh Benny Liggio

olelad

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2012, 06:17:05 PM »
Hi olelad   st.thomas was a boys school  facing the belfast city cemetery miles away from the grosvenor road it closed down years ago and become rupbert standley collage its between falls road and springfield road i know only one person from roden street to go there (name withheld )  who be come a priest                                                                                                                                                                   

ta colin . maybe im on the wrong thread here ! but what ps and sec did catholics around the grosvenor rd go to ? and was there a rc church on the rd ?