Author Topic: RODEN STREET  (Read 39448 times)

colin randell

Re: RODEN STREET
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2012, 10:34:03 PM »
 Hi olelad the grosvenor road was mostly protestant some people might differ with this but it was there was one catholic primary school near the grosvenor road which was Slate street and there was no chapels on it either  this is going to be hard to explain to someone who doesnt know the road well here goes what i can remember the nearest catholic school was St ROSES girls school at beechmont  at one end and a boys school at the orther end (name ? ) next was st thomas boys school  whiterock road next was the( brown bombers ) St louises girls school there also is a collage facing broadway im sorry i just dont know the names of catholic schools wether you know or not these schools are on the falls road or near abouts and by the way protestants churchs and schools was on the falls road also it also was a mixed area at one time                                             regards colin                                                                                                                                                                 

ta colin . maybe im on the wrong thread here ! but what ps and sec did catholics around the grosvenor rd go to ? and was there a rc church on the rd ?

colin randell

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2012, 10:40:13 PM »
   Hi olelad again you can go onto excise street it will give you photos all from about the grosvenor road district             regards colin                                                                                                                                                               

are these schools primary ? did that area come under the catchment area for st thomas,s ?

olelad

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »
Hi olelad the grosvenor road was mostly protestant some people might differ with this but it was there was one catholic primary school near the grosvenor road which was Slate street and there was no chapels on it either  this is going to be hard to explain to someone who doesnt know the road well here goes what i can remember the nearest catholic school was St ROSES girls school at beechmont  at one end and a boys school at the orther end (name ? ) next was st thomas boys school  whiterock road next was the( brown bombers ) St louises girls school there also is a collage facing broadway im sorry i just dont know the names of catholic schools wether you know or not these schools are on the falls road or near abouts and by the way protestants churchs and schools was on the falls road also it also was a mixed area at one time                                             regards colin                                                                                                                                                                 

thanks colin didnt really know that. knew afew catholics who came from the grosvenor rd area but never knew of what schools was about for them to attend.

henry irwin

« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2012, 06:59:53 PM »
 did roy curray have a sister named francis who died very young , sad day ,they lived  on  soudan st  faceing gibsons bakery  roy i think had red hair .

Dawson

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
what schools was the catchment for govenor rd
olelad - primary schools for the Grosvenor Road boys was Queen Victoria PS, Donegall Road PS, St Comgalls (Divis Street) and Slate Street (St Josephs???).
Secondary schools were Kelvin & St Thomas's. I knew Ken Davis (Excise Street) and Joe Devine (Burnaby Street) who went to St Thomas's on the Whiterock Road

olelad

« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »
olelad - primary schools for the Grosvenor Road boys was Queen Victoria PS, Donegall Road PS, St Comgalls (Divis Street) and Slate Street (St Josephs???).
Secondary schools were Kelvin & St Thomas's. I knew Ken Davis (Excise Street) and Joe Devine (Burnaby Street) who went to St Thomas's on the Whiterock Road

cheers guys. think that sums that one up. 
the grosvenor  rd is a place i knew very little about. the one place id love to have seen was distillerys ground. sadly i dont remember it at all. now one place i do remember from around the bottom of the rd was a wee sports shop ? if im right it was on the right hand side going up from the centre of town. my dad brought me there and he got me a football top. anyone know what shop it might have been. around 70/71?

colin randell

« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »
  Hi farnsbarn i was doing abit of reserch in the library last week and i can tell you your old grey cells are still very much alive when grosvenor street was built there was a number 187 rented by melvilla & co funeral undertakers when it became the grosvenor road in 1904 it became number 245 melvilla & co funeral undertakers and between 1904 and 1962 it added a car hire to its collection the pawnshop at the corner of mcdonell st was know as alex tougher next door was a laundry run by harrison macbride owned the printers &stationers the two shops which i said you could walk in one door and out the orther but not the same shop was called beatties draper and hardware shops then the post office now if you remember jemmy hope said danny farrell owned two shops and so he did 237 and 273 i still only remember one plus roden street also i said john mackie owned the funeral parlour at venice street he owned the newsagent shop the orther side of venice street before lappins took it over in 1974 so john mackie worked for wilton funeral parlour i also done an orther piece of reserch from 1933 to 1958 number 214 was the maypole which was in the same spot all them years next door to cowan bros bakery and the orther side was mckinleys wool shop i hope still will settle a load of arguments i didnt waste my hour in the library                                         regards colin                                                                                                                                                               
    Hi Colin, The sweet shop next to Fusco's was a newsagent and tobacconist, it was called Nelson's. When I was an apprentice, I painted the sign above the shop, it was just at the tram stop (no, not the horse tram) and when the tram stopped, I could feel all the faces staring at my neck, I always had to clean my brush when that happened, I could reach out and touch the tram, it was so close. My Dad asked me had a fly fallen into the paint and landed on the sign. Years later, when I was a journeyman, I went back and painted it again for nothing. About the post office, there's a picture of it in the Excise St. thread, I think it's called Grosvenor St. Post Office, it was facing Arundel St. Next door was an undertakers, and there was a young girl lived there called Valerie Cook. Wasn't there a pawnshop at the corner of McDonald St. and Grosvenor Rd.?
             Ask me another!
                Farnsbarn.

colin randell

« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2012, 10:47:16 PM »
     Hi dawson what about st marys divis street and christian bros in barrack street where jerry adams went to there also is yet an orther one round cyprus street .                              colin                                                                                                                                                           

colin randell

« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »
  Hi olelad there was a sports shop just pass the ritz picture house facing the grosvenor hall it become a bridle shop on the orther side of the street was value cabs taxi office                               regards colin coli                                                                                                                                                             

cheers guys. think that sums that one up. 
the grosvenor  rd is a place i knew very little about. the one place id love to have seen was distillerys ground. sadly i dont remember it at all. now one place i do remember from around the bottom of the rd was a wee sports shop ? if im right it was on the right hand side going up from the centre of town. my dad brought me there and he got me a football top. anyone know what shop it might have been. around 70/71?

colin randell

« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »
Hi farnsbarn i forget to tell you and everbody less who used fuscos it is no more even the one facing stockmans lane is also closed the only thing that i know they still have going is there ice cream palour beside casement park sorry to be a bearer of bad news                                regards colin                                                                                                                                                                     
    Hi Colin, The sweet shop next to Fusco's was a newsagent and tobacconist, it was called Nelson's. When I was an apprentice, I painted the sign above the shop, it was just at the tram stop (no, not the horse tram) and when the tram stopped, I could feel all the faces staring at my neck, I always had to clean my brush when that happened, I could reach out and touch the tram, it was so close. My Dad asked me had a fly fallen into the paint and landed on the sign. Years later, when I was a journeyman, I went back and painted it again for nothing. About the post office, there's a picture of it in the Excise St. thread, I think it's called Grosvenor St. Post Office, it was facing Arundel St. Next door was an undertakers, and there was a young girl lived there called Valerie Cook. Wasn't there a pawnshop at the corner of McDonald St. and Grosvenor Rd.?
             Ask me another!
                Farnsbarn.

kate.o

« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2012, 04:34:54 AM »
  Hi olelad there was a sports shop just pass the ritz picture house facing the grosvenor hall it become a bridle shop on the orther side of the street was value cabs taxi office                               regards colin coli                                                                                                                                                             
hi colin, I remember the picture house,was it allways called the ritz?,
there was a car place on the same side,I thought it was car sale's.

cannon

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
     Hi dawson what about st marys divis street and christian bros in barrack street where jerry adams went to there also is yet an orther one round cyprus street .                              colin                                                                                                                                                           
Hi Colin, some other catholic primary schools which were used by kids of the  Grosvenor Road area   St.Peter's Raglan St. (boys &girls),  St.Catherine's Cavendish St. (girls), St.Vincent's Dunlewey St.(girls), St.Finian's(boys) Falls Road and St.Pauls Cavendish Square(boys).
  I also remember another one on Getty St./Leeson St. corner.   I   think most of these were active until the 1980's,  when there was some restructuring.
                                                                              Cannon     

buzz lighthead

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
There was also a school in balkan street

cannon

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2012, 02:42:39 PM »
There was also a school in balkan street
Thanks buzz, couldn't think of the street at the time, I almost typed  Sultan Street but wasn't sure so I left it out.    Cannon

olelad

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »

that would mean it was on the left side coming up from town centre ? that being the case my memory isnt as good as i first thought. the shop in question was small and i remember the guy digging through afew boxs b4 pulling out an everton top which back in those days was ablue top with white collar and cuffs. which covered any team in blue :D  any idea on the name of the shop and how long it was there ? also was it the only sports shop on the rd ?