Author Topic: RODEN STREET  (Read 40075 times)

Farnsbarn

Re: RODEN STREET
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
There was also a school in balkan street
   Hi buzz,
       Check out Balkan St. thread started by mmckay, also black and white pictures, started by boxer.
                    Regards,
                       farnsbarn.

Dawson

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »
     Hi dawson what about st marys divis street and christian bros in barrack street where jerry adams went to there also is yet an orther one round cyprus street .                              colin                                                                                                                                                         
Divis Street and Barrack Street was too far for the Grosvenor Road ones.

tommybeef

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »
dawson-a couple of the kids from round our area went to barrack st.-i always wanted to go to slate st because they played football on the roof.

colin randell

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 08:52:47 PM »
    peter are you trying to tell me if i dont live in an area you can go to that school well i came from roden street and had two lollpopmen to get me across the grosvenor and durham street to get me to school and where is barrack street like walking from your house in excise street to less than barton street dont be talking a load of cowpat its in the area and anybody could use it and farther more protestants lived in divis street girls model was in divis street what boys bridge came from albert street for by the 4th ? go and read your history books                                                                                                                                                           

colin randell

« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »
   Hi kate o your right the ritz then as you walked up a factory cant remember want was in it then you had Belfast hire cars which took you up to a sweetie shop and a barbers shop then durham street across the road was the Coliseum picture house which did become john ireland car sales i used belfast hire cars many a time my mum isnt here any more to shout we would chip in and send the oldest in to hire a car then we headed of to bangor not all the time but most for dance halls pubs darts girls and many a time left to walk home as well                       regards colin                                                                                                                                                               
hi colin, I remember the picture house,was it allways called the ritz?,
there was a car place on the same side,I thought it was car sale's.

colin randell

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »
   High cannon thanks for that great i was awere of schools around the area but not that many so everton can read this for himself thanks again cannon                                regards colin                                                                                                                                                         
Hi Colin, some other catholic primary schools which were used by kids of the  Grosvenor Road area   St.Peter's Raglan St. (boys &girls),  St.Catherine's Cavendish St. (girls), St.Vincent's Dunlewey St.(girls), St.Finian's(boys) Falls Road and St.Pauls Cavendish Square(boys).
  I also remember another one on Getty St./Leeson St. corner.   I   think most of these were active until the 1980's,  when there was some restructuring.
                                                                              Cannon     

olelad

« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
the rawsons i mentioned was brian and jim. didnt know them that well but brian was in the same year as me in school. good guitarest to say the least. no idea were on the rd they lived.

no one remember the rawsons ? again i only knew them to see. but the name cropped up the other night and brian it seems played back up to eric clapton and is on the live dvd . lives in the good old usa these days.

colin randell

« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
  Hi rollie the person who owned it looked after his mother hughie was his name he lived about durham street,john street  about there some were                         regards colin                                                                                                                                                     
HEY THINGS COLIN,
 I DON'T REMEMBER THAT SHOP IN BURNABY ST WHERE THE LEE'S LIVED EVER BEEN OPEN

Dawson

« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
dawson-a couple of the kids from round our area went to barrack st.-i always wanted to go to slate st because they played football on the roof.

tommybeef - I remember the playground on the roof very well. A very good idea because the school was well surrounded by the streets and there was very few play areas around for the chidren.
I was up at the RVH the other day and was walking down the Grosvenor after my appointment. The boys and girls from St Josephs were all out in the playground playing away together. I think I read somewhere that the Slate Street school had different floors for the boys and girls and I don't believe they played together in the playground on the roof.
Someone will probably inform us soon if that's correct.

olelad

« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »
  jamesie mcanally from balmoral street now lives in craigavon the last time i seen him was about 4 or 5years ago my brother should be able to tell you more about him didnt live to far from each orther till the junkies took over then my brother denis moved to portadown maybe get him to answer on jamesie                                                                                                                                                       

was talking to jamesie earlier on today. told me hed went to st pauls ps when he lived up there. never got talking long to him unfortunalty

colin randell

« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
  i now know his name it is  patchey doyle they say hes a legend why i dont know maybe because he drunk wine from an early age and still at it i dont know maybe somebody else can answer that one               regards colin                                                                                                                                                           
paddys was know for his COMAT red wine blow the head of you they came from all over to bye it there was a gang came from the looney cant remember his name but he wore a patch over an eye                                               

boxer1949

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »
  i now know his name it is  patchey doyle they say hes a legend why i dont know maybe because he drunk wine from an early age and still at it i dont know maybe somebody else can answer that one               regards colin                                                                                                                                                           
Heres the guy here Seamie Doyle was his name he was a legend ok was no mug not a bully but a nice guy he died a few years ago

chink

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »

tommybeef - I remember the playground on the roof very well. A very good idea because the school was well surrounded by the streets and there was very few play areas around for the chidren.
I was up at the RVH the other day and was walking down the Grosvenor after my appointment. The boys and girls from St Josephs were all out in the playground playing away together. I think I read somewhere that the Slate Street school had different floors for the boys and girls and I don't believe they played together in the playground on the roof.
Someone will probably inform us soon if that's correct.
when i went to slate st it was only girls attended it but before boys used one door and girls used another i played on the roof and p e was held there too most of the schools now are boys and girls  st josephs is the NEW slate st a very good school with high exam passes

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
when i went to slate st it was only girls attended it but before boys used one door and girls used another i played on the roof and p e was held there too most of the schools now are boys and girls  st josephs is the NEW slate st a very good school with high exam passes
hi chink, my dad came from slate st..if that is the one down the falls.. :)
sixtyniner

chink

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2014, 02:14:01 PM »
it is sixtyniner  loved that wee school  i moved up the road in 71