Author Topic: RODEN STREET  (Read 39446 times)

SIXTYNINER

Re: RODEN STREET
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2014, 05:03:14 PM »
it is sixtyniner  loved that wee school  i moved up the road in 71
hi chink..i remember my granny telling us stories about living in slate st..#8..i think i even have an old photo of my dad when he was young, standing with his arms folded on the corner of slate st..that was many moons ago..is slate st even standing today.. :)
sixtyniner

chink

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »
no sixtyniner all demolished as is alot of the old streets in the falls

but alot of the old families still live around the area that has been built up

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2014, 06:39:04 PM »
no sixtyniner all demolished as is alot of the old streets in the falls

but alot of the old families still live around the area that has been built up
chink i love it when people post old photos..it's so sad as many, like slate st, are gone just like most of the people.. :(
sixtyniner

Brown low

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2014, 07:11:16 PM »
Worked with a Jimmy Coleman from Roden Street, he drove for Harkness Heavy Haulage.

boxer1949

« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2014, 08:08:43 PM »
SLATE ST SCHOOL

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2014, 10:39:41 PM »
SLATE ST SCHOOL
boxer, what a great photo.. how long ago would this have been taken.. do you think he's still alive..imagine coming on here and seeing himself... :-*
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2014, 05:53:29 AM »
is anyone else having problems with the forum tonight/morning..i know i answered the last post but it does not show it till i come on to reply.. same with a few other threads i've been on...liz
sixtyniner

jean79

« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2014, 06:23:04 AM »
yes I have not been able to get on until now keptoming up as an error

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:36 PM »
hi jean, just came on so i hope things are back to normal.... :)
sixtyniner

Phyl164

« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2014, 11:54:45 PM »
I lived in Roden Street, near Iverna Street, in 50's 60's when it really WAS a street between Donegall Road and Grosvenor Road. Happy days. Many memories - Alexander's shop (loved their home made buns, iced with glazed cherry on the top, Mrs Adair's shop,  Latimers, the buses lined along the street on a Saturday when the match was on in the football grounds, the bridge over the "Blackie," Dans Bar, the City Mission Hall (lovely Mr and Mrs Orr)  Liggios (is that how it was spelt!) yummy ice-cream, the big chimney, police barracks and the telephone box at the top of the street! I had such good friends - the Tate's, Hardie's, Whitten's, Moore's, Dalzell's and many others. We went to Tintop which was the nickname for Donegall Road Primary school. Are any of you out there? Would love to be in touch. I remember Alfie's shoe repair shop. Knew him well. He was such a lovely man. Sad that Roden Street is so changed, all those streets and houses away.

Phyl164

« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2014, 12:38:42 AM »
Hi farnsbarn, I've just joined the forum and have been enjoying reading through the posts re Roden Street. In one of them you mention my father (how nice to see that!)  Bobby Megahey owned the shoe repair shop in Roden Street just up from the Blackie bridge, beside Thompsons yard. We lived on up the street, no 164. You describe him well. He wore a caliper on one leg and walked with two walking sticks. He loved to tell jokes and was a great person. He passed away in 1997 in his 80's. So thank you for that post - made my day. What a great memory you have! If I can ever work out how to I will post a few Roden St photos.

DJ

« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2014, 12:50:16 AM »
Hi Phyl welcome to the forum. I've sent you a PM.

Dommo

« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2014, 12:51:07 AM »
Yes yesterday there were some issues.
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Shylock

« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2014, 02:38:09 AM »
Hi Phyll, was just reading how you knew my Uncle Alfie, the shoe repairer in Roden Street long ago -  I have a foto of him working in his shop which my sister took back around '75/'76 - Alfie's wee brother David is my father - just celebrated his 86th b'day on new year's day!  My parents used to have the wee shop on the corner of Donegall Avenue and and Pembroke Street - no longer a shop, but now a house!
we're all in Oz. living in Central Victoria,
I lived in Roden Street, near Iverna Street, in 50's 60's when it really WAS a street between Donegall Road and Grosvenor Road. Happy days. Many memories - Alexander's shop (loved their home made buns, iced with glazed cherry on the top, Mrs Adair's shop,  Latimers, the buses lined along the street on a Saturday when the match was on in the football grounds, the bridge over the "Blackie," Dans Bar, the City Mission Hall (lovely Mr and Mrs Orr)  Liggios (is that how it was spelt!) yummy ice-cream, the big chimney, police barracks and the telephone box at the top of the street! I had such good friends - the Tate's, Hardie's, Whitten's, Moore's, Dalzell's and many others. We went to Tintop which was the nickname for Donegall Road Primary school. Are any of you out there? Would love to be in touch. I remember Alfie's shoe repair shop. Knew him well. He was such a lovely man. Sad that Roden Street is so changed, all those streets and houses away.

Shylock

« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2014, 07:34:23 AM »
Hi Phyll, was just reading how you knew my Uncle Alfie, the shoe repairer in Roden Street long ago -  I have a foto of him working in his shop which my sister took back around '75/'76 - Alfie's wee brother David is my father - just celebrated his 86th b'day on new year's day!  My parents used to have the wee shop on the corner of Donegall Avenue and and Pembroke Street - no longer a shop, but now a house!
we're all in Oz. living in Central Victoria,

here's the foto I was talking about, tho I know its not real good quality, but you'll be ble to recognise him I think :)