Author Topic: RODEN STREET  (Read 39443 times)

SIXTYNINER

Re: RODEN STREET
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »
I lived in Roden Street, near Iverna Street, in 50's 60's when it really WAS a street between Donegall Road and Grosvenor Road. Happy days. Many memories - Alexander's shop (loved their home made buns, iced with glazed cherry on the top, Mrs Adair's shop,  Latimers, the buses lined along the street on a Saturday when the match was on in the football grounds, the bridge over the "Blackie," Dans Bar, the City Mission Hall (lovely Mr and Mrs Orr)  Liggios (is that how it was spelt!) yummy ice-cream, the big chimney, police barracks and the telephone box at the top of the street! I had such good friends - the Tate's, Hardie's, Whitten's, Moore's, Dalzell's and many others. We went to Tintop which was the nickname for Donegall Road Primary school. Are any of you out there? Would love to be in touch. I remember Alfie's shoe repair shop. Knew him well. He was such a lovely man. Sad that Roden Street is so changed, all those streets and houses away.
hi phyl, welcome to the forum.. and i feel like you when i see old photos with people in them and wonder where they are today.. old sts gone but you're hoping  the people have moved to newer houses and better living..you know, indoor plumbing.. :D  even then i think there was more comradeship as everyone was in the same boat..sorry for sounding so maudling.. :-*
sixtyniner

muckles

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »
Worked with a Jimmy Coleman from Roden Street, he drove for Harkness Heavy Haulage.
Hi Brown Low"
Did you know a guy called Wilson.  He drove for Harkness too.
Muvkles
It's not enough that we do our best;
sometimes we have to do what's required.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat is do chasán cóngaír

Brown low

« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Knuckles was he in the heavy haulage end, I worked only with them on heavy lift jobs in the 70s.

muckles

« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2014, 03:30:53 AM »
Knuckles was he in the heavy haulage end, I worked only with them on heavy lift jobs in the 70s.
Hi Brown low"
He may have been.  He lived in Soudan St  I was a buddy to his son in the 60's
It's not enough that we do our best;
sometimes we have to do what's required.
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat is do chasán cóngaír

Giannineo

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
Did anyoine know the Aikens? -George was a Policeman and became Station Sergeant at Ballynafeigh Barracks.

Nick Keene

« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2014, 05:26:34 AM »
I lived in Roden Street, near Iverna Street, in 50's 60's when it really WAS a street between Donegall Road and Grosvenor Road. Happy days. Many memories - Alexander's shop (loved their home made buns, iced with glazed cherry on the top, Mrs Adair's shop,  Latimers, the buses lined along the street on a Saturday when the match was on in the football grounds, the bridge over the "Blackie," Dans Bar, the City Mission Hall (lovely Mr and Mrs Orr)  Liggios (is that how it was spelt!) yummy ice-cream, the big chimney, police barracks and the telephone box at the top of the street! I had such good friends - the Tate's, Hardie's, Whitten's, Moore's, Dalzell's and many others. We went to Tintop which was the nickname for Donegall Road Primary school. Are any of you out there? Would love to be in touch. I remember Alfie's shoe repair shop. Knew him well. He was such a lovely man. Sad that Roden Street is so changed, all those streets and houses away.

Although maybe a tad younger than some contributors here I have fond memories of days after school playing in the streets and alleyways around Roden St. The Whittens to whom you refer are my mothers side of the family and sadly now of those that once lived there, only the children and their children live on. My mother is coming 86 and she lived in Symons Street with her Mum and Dad Lily and Herbie Whitten. Fond memories indeed and until now having seen it confirmed I knew there was a barracks on Roden St for grandad was a B man and many times set me up on the counter, lol, I knew it.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2014, 02:18:18 PM »

Although maybe a tad younger than some contributors here I have fond memories of days after school playing in the streets and alleyways around Roden St. The Whittens to whom you refer are my mothers side of the family and sadly now of those that once lived there, only the children and their children live on. My mother is coming 86 and she lived in Symons Street with her Mum and Dad Lily and Herbie Whitten. Fond memories indeed and until now having seen it confirmed I knew there was a barracks on Roden St for grandad was a B man and many times set me up on the counter, lol, I knew it.
hi nick, welcome to the forum..there's always something going on here and someone or something to remember..i don't think age comes into it..well not really..you could have been a small lad/lass and still remember stuff..that's what people want to hear..i didn't live down there but i worked down the donnie and went home down roden st most nights..i don't think my factory is there any more.. like you said it's sad that so many places have gone or moved...liz :)
sixtyniner

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2014, 06:21:07 PM »
Hi farnsbarn, I've just joined the forum and have been enjoying reading through the posts re Roden Street. In one of them you mention my father (how nice to see that!)  Bobby Megahey owned the shoe repair shop in Roden Street just up from the Blackie bridge, beside Thompsons yard. We lived on up the street, no 164. You describe him well. He wore a caliper on one leg and walked with two walking sticks. He loved to tell jokes and was a great person. He passed away in 1997 in his 80's. So thank you for that post - made my day. What a great memory you have! If I can ever work out how to I will post a few Roden St photos.
Hi Phyl 164, Did your daddy ever work for anyone else? My daddy had a shoe repair/ shoe makers shop on the Grosvenor Road and used to have a guy with a caliper working for him, could it have been your dad?

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
Nick there was also a b specials hut in distillery st where they had a shooting range. I think there is a photo on the donegall rd thread and the excise street thread of the b men at the hut. Maybe your grandad is in it.

chink

« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2014, 03:37:45 PM »
Hi Phyl 164, Did your daddy ever work for anyone else? My daddy had a shoe repair/ shoe makers shop on the Grosvenor Road and used to have a guy with a caliper working for him, could it have been your dad?
was his name fitzpatrick do you know

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2014, 06:32:41 PM »
was his name fitzpatrick do you know
I will have to ask my sister, she is older than me so might remember but it is unusual to have two shoe repairers with calipers, don't you think. Especially in the same area.

chink

« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2014, 11:23:12 AM »
i remeber a wee man was a shoemaker think he always came down from that part of the road  he was related to my father in law 

DHAMILL

« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »
Anyone remember Roden Recreation club from the late 40s/50s?
Den Hamill

Nick Keene

« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2014, 04:35:47 AM »
Nick there was also a b specials hut in distillery st where they had a shooting range. I think there is a photo on the donegall rd thread and the excise street thread of the b men at the hut. Maybe your grandad is in it.

Jimmy funny you say shooting as I have a few B Specials shooting medals from the 40/50's my grandfather won lol. Was at my mothers too over weekend and she produced a black and white photo of my grandfather and two of his bothers with three others in their uniforms, I will get it scanned and fired on here as well.

Funny talk about the religious breakdown in the area, my father was a Broadway Presbyterian and as a family we attended right up until the unfortunate demise of the church as the troubles worsened. He and his six brothers and twin sisters were raised in Thames St, between Broadway and the RVH childrens hospital.

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »
Nick one of my best friends john duckett lived in Thames st.he was in the 46th bb also another old mate andy kerr lived in Coates st. I remember me and my mum and my sister standing on broadway watching the Orangemen going to the church service in Broadway prespreterian church.i think the old minister was called reverend scott we used to love getting him on religous instruction day at tintop and kelvin.