Author Topic: The Circle - Pop Group from West Belfast!  (Read 20648 times)

kieranward

The Circle - Pop Group from West Belfast!
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:48:14 AM »
Hi all!

I'm Kieran Ward and I managed the pop group from west Belfast called The Circle.  Does anone remember them?

Tell e what you remember of them!

Regards

Kieran Ward

AL CAPONE

Re: The Circle - Pop Group from West Belfast!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
What year Kieran?

gerrymac

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:24:54 PM »
I remember the Circle well Big Laim played the Guiter, one of the best bands of the 70's
Gerry Mac

gerrymac

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:26:30 PM »
Sorry Guitar
Gerry Mac

olelad

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »
Hi all!

I'm Kieran Ward and I managed the pop group from west Belfast called The Circle.  Does anone remember them?

Tell e what you remember of them!

Regards

Kieran Ward

i remember them alright bloody good group which pulled in very good crowds as they played pop songs unlike the c/w every live band back in the 70s seemed to be playing.
first time i seen them must have been in or around 73/74.

muckermcd

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 07:22:29 AM »
Hi Kieran
I remember The Circle very well .
My sister Lilian used to go out with the lead singer was it Davey ??
I have recollections of them playing a gig at St Pauls Hall in Hawthorn Street is that correct??

muckermcd

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 07:30:14 AM »
Just remembered it was Davey Hughes,
And they also did dance at Clonard.S
Was Terry Sharp im the band along with one of the L'Stranges???
or was that The Star Jets

Liz51

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
any one remember the tycoons they use to play in st pauls
the sunday hop  

old wallion

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 09:39:24 PM »
There was a band Noel and the bus stop previously fronted by Paddy and they changed to Noel and Flight who were so good i booked them for my wedding in 1983. :) :)

muckermcd

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 06:50:03 AM »
The Tycoons??
A bit before my time Rathbone :D

Liz51

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 10:40:51 PM »
THEY LIVED  ROUND SPRINGFIELD AVE THEY USED TO PRACTISE IN A WE HOUSE OPPOSITE BARNEY HUGHES BAKERY

muckermcd

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 05:05:37 AM »
they should have placed a cap outside the front door so the bakers could throw DOUGH in it lol :D

kieranward

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 12:48:25 AM »
Hi all it is Kieran Ward again!  You will be able to see that I started this thread on the 30th April 2009 at 12:48:14 am and when I looked at the thread a few days later – I couldn’t understand how ‘Al Capone’ was able to post the first comment at a time before my initial posting at 11:31:28am, but maybe that discussion is for another day.

‘Al Capone’ asked that year: I started the group with my last brother Oliver (Ward) and his friend Sean Fitzpatrick in 1967.  Sean later went on to be a founding member of the folk band ‘Blackthorn’.

‘Gerrymac‘ recalls that ‘Big Liam’ was a guitar player with the group.  Liam was I believe the third Bass Player we had and that was about 1971 when he was in the group. Liam went on to play in several other groups in the cabaret circuit.  I can’t recall the names of these bands now.

A word of thanks to ‘Olelad’ for your kind comment – we tried our very best to be good at what we done on stage.  You commented on the group not playing country and western – yes, we did but only when we played venues where country and western songs were required.  The type of country we done was what would be now called ‘new country’.

‘Muckermcd’ Yes Davy Hughes did go with a girl called Lillian at one time but unfortunately, I don’t recall much about your sister.  Davy had more girl friends that I have had hot dinners.  Can I correct one thing in your comments: in the early days of Davy’s involvement with the group c. 1970, he played keyboards, rhythm guitar and saxophone.  After the lead guitarist, John Craig left the group Davy moved to playing lead guitar and in some numbers, he also played piano.  His brother Colin who joined the group about that time became the keyboards player, he also played mandolin and I’m sure you will recall the group playing ‘Horslips’s’ ‘King of the Fairies’.  That was Colin on mandolin.

‘Muckermcd’ in your second posting you recall ‘The Star jets’ and Terry Sharpe and Liam L’Estrange. - Liam played a very short time with the Circle also.  The Star jets did have some chart success and were also known as ‘Tango Brigade’ the outfit is now known as The Adventures.  I hear some of their tracks being played on the radio these days.

‘Rathbone’ I’m sorry I don’t recall ant group playing ‘Saint Paul’s’ called The Tycoons’.  Can I take it that it is St Paul’s on Shaw’s Road you are talking about and not St Paul’s Parish Hall that was in Hawthorn Street? 

For the Tycoons to have practiced around about the Springfield area – I didn’t know them so I don’t know where they practiced.

‘Old Wallion’ the group you speak of was called ‘Paddy and the Bus Stop’ and the Paddy was Louis Small’s brother.  I think the ‘Noel’ you talk about was the bass player who worked as a ‘postman’ at one time.  I don’t recall the group being called Noel and Bus Stop but I may be wrong.  I do remember a group called ‘Flight’.

If anyone wishes to contact me directly – my email address is: [email protected]

old wallion

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 10:21:52 PM »
Hi all it is Kieran Ward again!  You will be able to see that I started this thread on the 30th April 2009 at 12:48:14 am and when I looked at the thread a few days later – I couldn’t understand how ‘Al Capone’ was able to post the first comment at a time before my initial posting at 11:31:28am, but maybe that discussion is for another day.

‘Al Capone’ asked that year: I started the group with my last brother Oliver (Ward) and his friend Sean Fitzpatrick in 1967.  Sean later went on to be a founding member of the folk band ‘Blackthorn’.

‘Gerrymac‘ recalls that ‘Big Liam’ was a guitar player with the group.  Liam was I believe the third Bass Player we had and that was about 1971 when he was in the group. Liam went on to play in several other groups in the cabaret circuit.  I can’t recall the names of these bands now.

A word of thanks to ‘Olelad’ for your kind comment – we tried our very best to be good at what we done on stage.  You commented on the group not playing country and western – yes, we did but only when we played venues where country and western songs were required.  The type of country we done was what would be now called ‘new country’.

‘Muckermcd’ Yes Davy Hughes did go with a girl called Lillian at one time but unfortunately, I don’t recall much about your sister.  Davy had more girl friends that I have had hot dinners.  Can I correct one thing in your comments: in the early days of Davy’s involvement with the group c. 1970, he played keyboards, rhythm guitar and saxophone.  After the lead guitarist, John Craig left the group Davy moved to playing lead guitar and in some numbers, he also played piano.  His brother Colin who joined the group about that time became the keyboards player, he also played mandolin and I’m sure you will recall the group playing ‘Horslips’s’ ‘King of the Fairies’.  That was Colin on mandolin.

‘Muckermcd’ in your second posting you recall ‘The Star jets’ and Terry Sharpe and Liam L’Estrange. - Liam played a very short time with the Circle also.  The Star jets did have some chart success and were also known as ‘Tango Brigade’ the outfit is now known as The Adventures.  I hear some of their tracks being played on the radio these days.

‘Rathbone’ I’m sorry I don’t recall ant group playing ‘Saint Paul’s’ called The Tycoons’.  Can I take it that it is St Paul’s on Shaw’s Road you are talking about and not St Paul’s Parish Hall that was in Hawthorn Street? 

For the Tycoons to have practiced around about the Springfield area – I didn’t know them so I don’t know where they practiced.

‘Old Wallion’ the group you speak of was called ‘Paddy and the Bus Stop’ and the Paddy was Louis Small’s brother.  I think the ‘Noel’ you talk about was the bass player who worked as a ‘postman’ at one time.  I don’t recall the group being called Noel and Bus Stop but I may be wrong.  I do remember a group called ‘Flight’.

If anyone wishes to contact me directly – my email address is: [email protected]

Noel Connelly from John Street took over from Paddy and renamed the group. I met Louis Small the other day at a Graduation and looking well for his age :) :)

cocker

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »
hi kiean remember the circle well ..they were a fantastic and brought a lot of joy to the kids faces in the 70s ....many a romance that group started so they have a lot to answer for  :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :party:  :party: