Author Topic: Any YHA members ever stay in Learmount Castle?  (Read 5671 times)

FatherJack

Any YHA members ever stay in Learmount Castle?
« on: May 09, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »
One of the most interesting and remote youth hostels in Northern Ireland was Learmount Castle in the Sperrin Mountains near the village of Park  (Co. Londonderry / Derry)
I was a keen YHA member in the early 1960's and along with three mates we stayed overnight in Learmount Castle.  One wing of Learmount was bricked up and had the reputation of being haunted. 

Did you ever stay in Learmount Castle and if so, did you experience anything of a spooky nature?

We did !!

FJ
Father Jack Hackett    (Drink .. Girls .. [censored] .. Knickers .. Fe**)
Parochial House
Craggy Island
Ireland

SeanP

Re: Any YHA members ever stay in Learmount Castle?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:10:40 PM »
Stayed several times in the late 60s always remember it was cold, damp,  and bloody dark  :skull: :skull: :skull:

FatherJack

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
Stayed several times in the late 60s always remember it was cold, damp,  and bloody dark  :skull: :skull: :skull:
Hi SeanP ... yes it was a tad foreboding, especially after dark !!  Did you experience anything spooky?

One of my students Father had a ghostly experience while staying in Learmount, so did we. :skull: :skull:

FJ
Parochial House
Craggy Island
Ireland

Dan London

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »
Hi there Father Jack, was doing an internet search on Learmount Castle out of curiosity and came across this post.

The reason for my curiosity is that my father grew up at Learmount Castle in the 50's and 60's as his parents ran the youth hostel. He moved to London in the late 60's but my grandparents continued to run the hostel until the early 80's when they both died. I beleive the castle has been empty ever since.

I visited a couple of times in the early 80's when I was a child and definately experienced something of a spooky nature! Would be interested to know what you experienced!

Ballaghboy

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »
I stayed several times at the Castle with the scouts and Duke of Ed.  WE were told stories about Harry the Mad Monk who haunted the place - there was even a large portrait of him in the front room.  One guy who was too afraid to go to the toilet decided to pee the bed as the rest of us slept soundly.  A great place - so sad it is in such a poor state and no longer used.

FatherJack

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
I stayed several times at the Castle with the scouts and Duke of Ed.  WE were told stories about Harry the Mad Monk who haunted the place - there was even a large portrait of him in the front room.  One guy who was too afraid to go to the toilet decided to pee the bed as the rest of us slept soundly.  A great place - so sad it is in such a poor state and no longer used.
Hi Ballaghboy,
Yes it's in a terrible state, or at least it was when I was there about 3 years ago. 

I have lots of photos of how it was a few years ago, but unfortunately none when it was used as a YHA hostel.

Very spooky place.

FJ
Parochial House
Craggy Island
Ireland

mgallagher

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
i spent many a week-end in learmount castle in the late 1960's with a group simply known as the 'crowd, we hostelled all year through winter and summer. we had great laughs at the castle and walks into park village where we went for a few beers before we had to return and be in bed before ten. It was spooky and we sat round the fire telling ghost stories. there was doreen, spencer, trevor, ken, sam, shirley and  fred to name but a few. i especially remember the dark ravens lurking in the trees. very happy memories and of course the cold

Aussie-Nige

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 12:17:28 PM »
Sad to hear that Learmount has fallen into disrepair I stayed there in 79 and have often thought of the place as it was magical didn't realise until I googled it tonight that it's been vacant since the eighties, I left Ireland in 91.  Would be a great story to restore the place. Does anyone know what the future is for the place??

Bobbie54

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 10:30:29 AM »
I youth hosteled with female friends when we were all about 16. We hitch hiked everywhere and stayed in Learmount Castle for 2 nights. We knew about the haunted story and were absolutely terrified at night. We pushed the bunk beds tight together, kept the gas lights on all night and went to the toilet in 4s! Every little noise or creak and we were all awake! Still have fond memories of the place and remember it if anyone mentions Park or Feeny