Author Topic: Old Belfast ghost stories.  (Read 280972 times)

kate.o

Re: Old Belfast ghost stories.
« Reply #2115 on: April 26, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
I remember the old folk talking about the banshee's,
how they use to cry and screech to let people know
if some think was going to happen, I stayed awake
many night's thinking I could hear them. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

CMcG

« Reply #2116 on: April 27, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »

Here's a weird story told to me by a man who was doing some work for me, whose sincerity I don't doubt.  Not your classic ghost story, not Belfast, but it isn't that far away.

As I said, I was getting some work done to the outside of my house about 4 - 5 years ago by a man local to where I live, between Ballyclare and Carrickfergus.  He was recommended to me and I didn't know him very well, but he's the sort of man I would occasionally meet and greet in the street and he and the family are known round about where I live and regarded as decent ordinary folk, sound and sensible.

In a break from his work, we were talking about the usual weighty matters like football and the weather, when the conversation turned to the high house prices (do you remember those  :D    ).  I happened to mention to him that I had always had a notion for the old cottage at the bad bend just up the road from me towards Carrickfergus, no more than a mile or so away.

Looking at me strangely, he said that he and his wife had actually lived there for a while many years earlier and he started to tell me something which he said might make me think that he was mad, but that he would tell me anyway.  And with a straight eye, he told me the following story.

He and his wife moved into the cottage and for the first few months spent their time redecorating, putting in new doors and windows, a new kitchen, and so on.  During this time, events started which he described as "tricks of the mind".  For example, one or other would get up in the morning and go into the kitchen and would think that a cup left on the kitchen table the previous night had been moved.  Or would routinely find a magazine discarded on the armchair when they felt sure there hadn't been one there a while ago.  Or a kitchen cupboard door lying open when neither could remember having been in it.  Or the bathroom tap dribbling slightly when the last person using it was sure that they had double-checked it was tightly off.  And so on.

This went on for some months, and the nature of the beast with the two of them living in the cottage is that each thought that the other was responsible and it eventually became a tired joke between them.

One evening however, the sound of his wife shouting his name brought him running into the living room from the kitchen to discover her standing stationary at the doorway to the hall.  She said that as she had walked into the living room from the hall, for a split second she thought that she had seen a dark form of a man standing at the mantlepiece with his back to her.  A more detailed description she couldn't provide, it was just a fleeting image.  As as he calmed her down over the next couple of hours with a cup of tea or three, she started to wonder if she had imagined it.

That weekend, the couple returned home from doing their weekly shop and when the wife tried to get into the living room from the hall, the door oddly wouldn't give.  He arrived in the hall and pushed at the living room door and with increasing force managed to push open a gap.  He then decided to go round to the back of the house followed by his wife and entered the living room via the kitchen, only to see that the sideboard, television cabinet and two armchairs had all been carefully piled up against the door.

He checked all the doors and windows and there was no sign of entry.  He even got a step ladder and went up through the glory hole with a torch and there was no-one in the roofspace. 

At the end of his story I asked him if he called the police and he he said "do you think I'm mad?".  The house went up for sale pretty well immediately and they lived with his parents in the meantime.

If I told this man the same story, he would have thought I was bonkers and made a hasty retreat, so as I said, I don't doubt his sincerity for a moment.

Weird or what?

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

anne

« Reply #2117 on: May 04, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
You would be surprised how many people live in a Haunted house.. Its usually a past resident just wanting to make themselves known..

tumbleweed

« Reply #2118 on: May 18, 2012, 02:35:47 PM »
when i was a child about 7years old me and my ma lived with an old lady in the oldpark road my ma kept house for her it was a big old house and had a sitting room on the first floor there was a piano in there and i use to go in and play on it like kids do there was a piano stool with music books in it and one day i was in there looking at the music books when i looked up by the door there was a tall man with white hair and a long black coat looking at me  i screamed and my ma came running she showed me through the house to show me there was nobody but us in the house, stayed with me for years and many times i would feel someone was beside me use to scare the wits out of me had this feeling throughout my childhood

tumbleweed

« Reply #2119 on: May 18, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »
my daughter and her husband went to live in wales in the 80s one night I had a dream that my ma was sat on my bed telling me that my daughter was having a baby girl everything would be ok and iwas not to worry everything would be ok when i told my husband I said it seem so real as if it had realy happened we both left for work and on my return my other daughter opened the front and said hello granma eighht months later my first granchild arrived yes a beautiful girl. years later my daughter was talking about this and I said i wonder what she ment when she said not to worry everything would be ok she told well at the time I dident want to worry you they thought at first the baby was in the tube

tumbleweed

« Reply #2120 on: May 18, 2012, 03:04:54 PM »
when my mother died I was taking my girls to the park with my husband and as we crossed the road I told him we had to go home as my mother had just died he dident know what to say my ma was 66 and in good health we had not long got into the house when my aunt was on the phone to say she had died from a heart attack

ger

« Reply #2121 on: May 19, 2012, 02:12:49 AM »
Tumbleweed, although i am something of a sceptic i have known people who have had repeated experiences like yourself which leads me to wonder are there some people who have a gift ? or whatever it may be called. Have to admit there are some things which are beyond explanation. Food for thought.

tumbleweed

« Reply #2122 on: May 19, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
Hi ger I can understand people not believing things like this. all i know is they happened to me and as a child it scared the wits out of me, and to this day I still have moments when I feel someone near, and heres the thing a few years ago I went to a house I dident know the person and she had never met me before as I went in she said you have a man standing beside you and when I asked what he looked like she said yes you guessed white hair wearing a long black coat

tumbleweed

« Reply #2123 on: May 19, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »
someone long ago told me the story he was driving down the M1 late one night it was raining heavy when he noticed a women standing on the hard shoulder he pulled in , noticed she was dressed as a nurse she got into the back of his car never said a word ,he said he though it  strange but drove on when he looked in his mirror she was nowhere to be seen a few days later he saw in a local paper a young nurse had been killed early that week

BeakerRingo

« Reply #2124 on: May 28, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »
great posts should be started up again

Have to agree with Jemmifer!  Even though I'm sat here in work with the sun still splitting the trees, I'm scaring myself silly reading through these! 

My granda used to always tell us about the time he heard a banshee (thought he also claimed he didn't believe in ghosts.  Go figure).  Anyway, he was from Servia Street off the Falls Road and a relative who lived close by was seriously ill.  They were told that she had hours to live.  The family were all called and there were quite a few of them crammed in to the small house to be with their mother/sister/aunt as she prepared to breathe her last. 

My granda said he and his sister were playing outside but he got bored and decided to go back into the house.  As he stepped into the doorway, he felt a light breeze at the right side of his temple as though something had passed by him though nothing or no one had.

As the breeze went past him, it turned into a wail that got louder as it exited to the street.  He tried to follow where the noise went.  He told us the wailing noise seemed to dip into the street then rose slowly and pass right over the house.  As he walked into the living room his mother, who was at his aunt's bedside looked up at those in the room and said, "That's it.   She's gone".  I have a few more I'll try to post when I can!
I could dance with you til the cows came home.  On second thoughts, I'd rather dance with the cows til YOU came home.

CMcG

« Reply #2125 on: June 02, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »

Here's a post I previously made to another thread on this forum and which I've cut and pasted here.  The incident for me remains totally inexplicable to this day. Ballycastle rather than Belfast, but I hope you'll forgive the 50 miles. The memory of it is as vivid and clear as yesterday's dinner.

Theories as to what it was are welcome.  Anyway, here's my previous post:

"When I was a kid, we spent a week or so of our summer holidays in Ballycastle.  In the early 1970s I was just into secondary school, which heralded a loosening of the parental chains and I was pretty well allowed to do my own thing during the day.  A long standing port of call was Bonamargey Abbey, Ballycastle, reason being that it lay slap bang in the crossfire of some of Ballycastle Golf Club's fairways and one could find lots of lost golf balls to sell on again for pocket money.  Anyway, that's the context.

The day in question was around the Oul Lammas Fair, dry, cloudy, cool and quite blustery.  After lunch, I remember walking out along the beach, then cutting across and going down the lane to the Abbey and feeling around as usual in the long unkempt grass surrounding the old gravestones for golf balls.  I got bored and went into the ruins of the Abbey itself.  I literally haven't visited the Abbey since then so this is from memory, but I remember that day going into a part of the stone ruins which was obviously once a building but now had no roof and was open to the elements.  Where the floor should be, was set out in lawn, but the one thing I remember most of all was that there were what looked like gravestones at the sides of the walls, which I remember to this day as being strange to find inside (what was presumably originally) an internal room.

Anyway, the wind still buffeting, I remember getting to about the centre of the roofless room, the centre of the lawn if you like, and the ambient noise in my ears, comprising mainly the wind buffeting, was in an instant gone like an "on/off" switch and replaced with total silence, except for someone very loudly whispering for several seconds into my right ear.  To this day I can't identify the language.  I remember standing rigid in terror as this happened.  As the years pass, the more it sounds akin to the whispering equivalent of mock conversation (rhubarb rhubarb) - in other words, someone was standing with their mouth directly at my right ear lug and whispering "wish wash wish wash" for several seconds - that's the noise I remember now, all I know is that it was not a language I recognised.

Needless to say, I turned tail and ran. I can't articulate this any better, all I know is that time stood still for this to happen and that I can't come close to explaining it.

I don't want to create an issue here, all I'm saying is that as a middle aged cynic, I can't reconcile what I experienced to any explanation."

Looking back on that post, I wouldn't change a word of it, that's exactly how it happened. It just sounds so corny, yet I can't express it any other way.  Even since that post, I still haven't visited  Bonamargey Abbey, even though I've been in Ballycastle a couple of times...

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

gingercat

« Reply #2126 on: July 10, 2012, 01:01:57 PM »
I would believe that.  I was in Ballycastle during the last fine weather we had (end of may, I believe). We went to the old Friary. I didnt feel spooked out in the building itself with no roof that you mention, but just off this there is an enclosed entrance. I just HAD to get out of that as it creeped the life out of me!

There is definetly a "vibe" of spookiness to that place though. One thing I noticed was there are so many birds.... they act very differently from normal birds. Like just standing in the path in front of you with no fear of humans at all. I thought that was quite strange!

johnnymac

« Reply #2127 on: July 10, 2012, 02:29:37 PM »
Gingercat, I have been to Bonamargy many times over the years and I do agree that it does have a certain atmosphere.
 I once visited an old native American cemetery in Cape Cod which really did scare the life out of me. I felt as if many eyes were watching me. I didn't hang about there for very long. 
Glad you mentioned birds. Last week, totally out of the blue, a crow came down and perched on my brother's shoulder. It stayed with him for several days and allowed him to hold it and it fed from his hand. His wife has pictures of this on her Facebook page. Yesterday my brother suffered a heart attack caused by a clot. Thankfully he has responded to treatment and should be out of hospital by Friday.   

gingercat

« Reply #2128 on: July 10, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
Yikes that native American Cemetery sounds really spooky!

I firmly believe that birds and animals can sense the spirit world around us. They do indeed have a sixth sense that we lack. I am very glad to hear that your brother is responding to treatment and I wish him all the best for a speedy recovery. Maybe the crow was a good angel? A similar thing happened to us about 10 years ago. A family member was very ill at the time and a stray starving cat appeared at our door. We took pity on it and took it in. 10 years on and both are doing well!

johnnymac

« Reply #2129 on: July 10, 2012, 06:58:56 PM »
Yesterday in the RVH whilst visiting my brother I was discussing the significance of omens with other members of my family. The bird omen is a very common one. The general opinion of spiritually-minded people is that its portents are good. It seems to crop up a lot in native American spirituality/folklore.
I once had a budgie who died in the middle of the night. This bird rarely made any 'singing' sounds. That night I was dozing in an armchair near the bird. Suddenly I was awakened by the loveliest birdsong I have ever heard. This lasted about a minute. Shortly after daybreak I found it dead in its cage. Makes you think.