Author Topic: Old Belfast ghost stories.  (Read 279966 times)

gingercat

Re: Old Belfast ghost stories.
« Reply #2130 on: July 10, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
It certainly does make you think!

tumbleweed

« Reply #2131 on: July 10, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
I agree gingercat in a paper not so long ago there was a story about a hospice cat that would sit on the bed of a patient and  stay there they always died within 24 hours then he would just go out again.

the great cornholio

« Reply #2132 on: July 11, 2012, 02:03:51 AM »
i get a fright and shiver with fear everytime i get a bill does that count  :) :)

road hog

« Reply #2133 on: July 13, 2012, 07:08:31 PM »
When I was a child at school the teachers took us on a trip to the country "Lurgan" we went to visit a grave of a young Mother who has on her Headstone "Died once Buried Twice" and this is true story.  There is a book and a film out there somewhere.

Anyway she was buried and her husband insisted she keep on her rings.  Later that night Grave Robbers dug her up and tried to get the rings off.  They eventually had to cut her finger to get them and [censored] Hell she woke up!!!!!!  They ran and she then walked home to her poor Husband who nearly craoked it.  Turns out she was in a coma and not dead at all.  How Bloody Scary is that?  Getting Cremated me...

She then lived for a long time and even had more children.  I swear to God this is the absolute truth.

Erin
Majorie Mc Caw was her name. I live in Lurgan, have seen her grave, and I dont believe a word of it.
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

johnnymac

« Reply #2134 on: July 13, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »
Wasn't this story featured this week on 'Lesser Spotted Ulster?' It sounds very implausible.

road hog

« Reply #2135 on: July 13, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Its a load of dung, jonny

JM BOY

« Reply #2136 on: July 14, 2012, 10:18:16 PM »
Hi all, mine's more a "spirit" than a "ghost" story and it's personal. I was born in 1948 and only weighed 2lbs. My weight continued to drop to 1 and a half pounds. Obviously not a lot of hope for anyone in that position in those days, so my parents, being Catholics, decided that I would need to be baptised there and then. As it was the feast of Michael the Archangel in the church callendar, Michael was the name that was chosen at such short notice. Following that, the hospital allowed my parents to say goodbye to me and exlpained that it would just be a matter of time. We lived in a predominantly Protestant area and for that reason in itself, my parents would have "kept themselves to themselves" as we say. We lived in a two up two down semi detached and our next door neighbour was one of these wee women who would hold seances quite often. My mum used to tell me how that neighbour and two other neighbours would get together for seances and occasionally you could hear the furniture moving (the days of lino - not much money about for carpet). About a day after my parents were home and waiting for word from the hospital, the neighbour came to our door and said that they had had a seance and had been told to call and tell my mum that "Wee Michael was on his way back". My parents hadn't even discussed the situation with anyone outside the family, never mind say what they had named me. Sure enough, the following day a telegram came from the hospital to tell my parents that there had been a vast improvement in my condition and to get the cot ready for my coming home soon. My mum didn't tell me this until I was in  my teens. Strangely enough, I was constantly in that neighbour's house, while growing up. She was like an "auntie" to me. I would be in with my homeworks, my school pictures and all the usual stuff that kids loved to show off. I've always believed that we are spirits and that we have to spend time here before going on to the next stage of things as spirits again. I was almost at the next stage, but was sent back for something. But there ye go, that's my tuppence worth.

road hog

« Reply #2137 on: July 15, 2012, 07:25:49 AM »
Brilliant story jm

squash

« Reply #2138 on: July 22, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »
Has anybody heard about the headless man who used to ride on his horse up and down Grays Lane on the Whitewell Road :o

tumbleweed

« Reply #2139 on: July 25, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
squash think he moved round the city hall

welder01

« Reply #2140 on: November 21, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »

Did the hospice cat have a disease  ???
If not now when?

ShannonH

« Reply #2141 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »
Reviving an old topic I know but I've spent the last few hours here lapping it up. Unfortunately I don't have a Belfast/NI ghost strory to share but I do have one from an American Friend he once told me.

I've contacted him through FB and he posted me to an account already posted online and with his permission, I've pasted it on here:

This happened two years ago when I was 18 and me and a group of friends went exploring in the abandoned parts of what used to be a mental asylum at Connecticut Valley Hospital. There was seven of us (guys and girls) and we were all skeptics.

Like almost any abandoned building, the place was super creepy but upon entering I instantly got this inexplicable feeling of despair or fear or something I can't really describe. We explored and although everyone was seemingly brave it was obvious everyone was at least a little creeped out. After about half an hour I volunteered to stay by myself in what we thought was a patients old room. My friends had been gone about five minutes when I got another inexplicable sensation. I felt nauseous and apprehensive. Suddenly the room started spinning and I fainted.At almost the exact same time two of my friends (one guy, one girl) swear they some sort of shadow or shilouete that suddenly disappeared. They claim, it was like the shape of a human but apparently saw no features. Freaked out, they decided to come find me and leave.

Unsurprisingly their fear only increased when they rushed back to the room and found me laid out unconscious on the floor. Apparently without wasting any time one of the guys grabbed me, threw me over his shoulder and followed everyone else out.I came to once we were outside and was able to walk back to the car.Once we were driving home I happened to glance at my watch. It's a genuine Rolex Daytona, a gift from my grandfather. It had frozen, at what more or less must have been the time when I collapsed and my friends saw the figures.

I should clarify some points that have been raised previously:

This was to primarily explore the abandoned Connecticut Valley Mental Hospital, it was not a ghost hunt, although we had heard some stories about the place which no one believed.

I've never before or since fainted in my life.

The watch wasn't broken from the fall. It had stopped but was working again soon afterward. It winds automatically and shouldn't have stopped at all. Also, the watch isn't old and is in good condition.

I 100% believe my friends saw something. The two couldn't lie that well.

welder01

« Reply #2142 on: November 12, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »

When my FIL died in tragic circumstances in his bathroom (my wife had to identify him for the police) his wife,my MIL was put in a care home as she had rhumatoid arthritis.

On a couple of occasions I was alone in their house preparing for the removal of furniture (the house was being sold).

On one occasion I was aware of a large dark shape descending the stairs.I left the house in a hurry.On the other occasion I was seated on the hearth of their empty living room and I swear I heard a full grown man sobbing from the direction where his arm chair used to be.

On a different occasion my wife and I stayed over night after staying late. We slept down stairs.We both heard foot steps walking across back and forward above our heads where their bed room was.The house was empty the bed room door upstairs was shut and the house was detatched so we we not hearing the foot steps from the house next door.

After FIL's cremation my wife took his ashes all around his house,especially the bath room.Then she went to his back garden to put his ashes amomg his flowers.

I watched this from the kitchen window allowing her privacy.She crouched for a while then stood up and turned.There was a look of astonishment on her face and she talked to some one for 5 minutes.She came in and I asked what was that about?She said,and I believe her,that she had seen her Father looking well and 20 years younger
If not now when?

chimneyghost

« Reply #2143 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »
109 Edinburgh Street - haunting
I lived at this property until October 2011, and never truly felt at ease in the house. On moving in, I noticed the house was always unusually cold, even during warmer months. There was a strong smell which I could not remove, despite my best efforts - this gave the house a distinctive odour and which clung to my clothes and hair. During the first week I noticed a lot of noise came from the house next door; low voices talking and people running up and down the stairs. I passed no remarks but became increasingly alarmed when I learned the house was not occupied. I reported it to my landlord who dismissed it as young people underage drinking, and thought no more about it. My bedroom was upstairs in the middle of the house, and I often had trouble sleeping; sometimes waking up disoriented in the middle of the night, or having the sensation that my foot was being slowly dragged across my bed while I was half-asleep. Cupboards in the kitchen would often be open when I came down for breakfast in the morning, however my partner insisted to think nothing of it. One morning I noticed the back-door was ajar despite the fact I had made sure to lock it the night before. My partner finally  became slightly worried and installed barb wire along our wall, and a bolt on the door. Four months passed without much incidence, and I happened to meet a neighbour on the street who stopped to talk to me while walking her dogs. An elderly lady, she inquired what I thought of the house and jokingly remarked how it was haunted. I didn't take much heed, and she proceeded to tell me how a child had died in the house. I admit I became quite nervous, and asked her about it. According to her, a young family had lived in the house, though it was common knowledge that the parents did not have a good relationship. One night they had a violent argument in the upstairs hallway, waking their child who came out to see what was happening. In the heat of things, the father is said to have pushed the child down the stairs, killing him. We found no evidence online of this murder, however that night I woke up to my partner mumbling to a dark figure at the end of our bed. I screamed and the figure vanished, while my partner woke up, entirely disoriented. The following night I came home to the empty house and saw a dark shadow at the top of the stairs. Hurriedly turning on the light, I caught a glimpse of what looked like a young boy. Terrified, I left to go to a friend's house in Stranmillis, and caught another sighting of the figure as I glanced back at the house. I stayed only one more night in the house, and experienced what I can only describe as the most terrifying night of my life - the paranoia and fear were unbearable, and every noise triggered my imagination. Eventually I drifted off to sleep, to be woken up by a soft whimpering outside my door. Frozen in fear, I woke my partner who, for the first time, was forced to acknowledge that something was very wrong in the house. The whimpering rose to a harrowing wailing, and my partner, despite my protests opened the door. There was nothing there, and the howling stopped instantly, however we could not shake the horrific feeling. We ended our contract and moved out the following week, staying in a friends house in the meantime. I believe the house has since been renovated, but nothing could convince me to step foot in that place again.

chink

« Reply #2144 on: November 13, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »
would love to know if anyone that moved into the house  experienced anything  wouldn't have lived there myself for too long though