Author Topic: Old Belfast ghost stories.  (Read 277259 times)

Flossie

Re: Old Belfast ghost stories.
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »
When I was growing up there always seemed to be a banshee connected to certain old buildings and not just people. The old Gallagher's building was one of these. Kids used to terrify each other with tales of the Banshee getting hold of you if you ever ventured near the building alone at night. Now that I know more about the folklore surrounding the banshee, it doesn't seem to make sense that one should be attached to a building, but the story existed nonetheless and added to the childhood experience I suppose!

Shamrock007

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »
Speeking of ghost stories number 91 beachmount has to be one of the best my step-dad read this to me when i was a kid and to say the least it scared the keek right out of me. i have never seen that book from then and have tried everything to get it dose anyone know where you could poss get this from

Flossie

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
Can't help you there Shamrock007, but I'll keep an eye out for you! There is also a really interesting ghost story that centres around the Crown Bar in Belfast, involving a 'lady of disrepute' called Amelia. Amelia died in the bar after she fell or was pushed downstairs. Apparently she still haunts the bar today. The BBC had a really interesting programme on about the history of the Crown Bar towards the end of last year and Amelia was a central character!

Flossie

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 11:51:21 AM »
Just for you Flossie,

My Mam says when she was around twelve there was a small man with a Hump who lived in their street and never gave the kids peace to play always complaining to their parents and getting them battered.

When he died the house was full of people at the wake and my Uncle Joseph and one of his friends then about fourteen cut the rope quietly that had him tied down in the coffin and in a few minutes he started to move upwards.  Sure the house was cleared in seconds except my Uncle Nataniel singing and holding on to his bottle of stout shouting "Sure it's the living ya need to be scared of not the Dead"

They never owned up and so the Ghost of the little man still roams Ballymacarret looking for his rope.

Good one Erincyprus, it's stories like that this one and characters like that that make Belfast what it is! ;)

Erincyprus

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 11:57:52 AM »
When I was a child at school the teachers took us on a trip to the country "Lurgan" we went to visit a grave of a young Mother who has on her Headstone "Died once Buried Twice" and this is true story.  There is a book and a film out there somewhere.

Anyway she was buried and her husband insisted she keep on her rings.  Later that night Grave Robbers dug her up and tried to get the rings off.  They eventually had to cut her finger to get them and [censored] Hell she woke up!!!!!!  They ran and she then walked home to her poor Husband who nearly craoked it.  Turns out she was in a coma and not dead at all.  How Bloody Scary is that?  Getting Cremated me...

She then lived for a long time and even had more children.  I swear to God this is the absolute truth.

Erin
God made Whisky to stop the Irish ruling the World

Flossie

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »
When I was a child at school the teachers took us on a trip to the country "Lurgan" we went to visit a grave of a young Mother who has on her Headstone "Died once Buried Twice" and this is true story.  There is a book and a film out there somewhere.

Anyway she was buried and her husband insisted she keep on her rings.  Later that night Grave Robbers dug her up and tried to get the rings off.  They eventually had to cut her finger to get them and [censored] Hell she woke up!!!!!!  They ran and she then walked home to her poor Husband who nearly craoked it.  Turns out she was in a coma and not dead at all.  How Bloody Scary is that?  Getting Cremated me...

She then lived for a long time and even had more children.  I swear to God this is the absolute truth.

Can you imagine how her poor husband felt? I'm surprised they didn't have to bury him after that experience! :o As for the grave robbers, well, hell slap it up them as they say here in Belfast!

Erin

Shamrock007

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
ghost stories are class the put the willys up me but class i reckon most haunted live should head over to belfast im sure they would find loads

teragram

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
Darby O'Gill put the wind up me for years after I'd seen it in the pictures. That banshee done an awful lot of damage to my imagination.  I remember a rumour went round that there was a banshee in the wee front hall of a house in Cyprus St where there was a person dead. It was just a couple of doors down from my grannys house. I was sent a message up to my grannys. I'll never forget the fear I had walking up Servia St towards the house where the banshee was supposed to be.
Turned out it was a load of crap that somebody had made up.   Problem was, I only found out yesterday, and that happened 50 years ago :D
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

teragram

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 01:42:50 PM »
Some people used to think my brother was a ghost, coz in the pub, when it was his round, he used to turn pure white. ::)

Flossie

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2009, 01:57:06 PM »
Some people used to think my brother was a ghost, coz in the pub, when it was his round, he used to turn pure white. ::)

:D

Flossie

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »
ghost stories are class the put the willys up me but class i reckon most haunted live should head over to belfast im sure they would find loads
I agree Shamrock007, don't know how many times I have said Most Haunted Live should come here, I would definitely go! If they did come to Belfast where should they investigate though? Where would you even begin?! ???

Flossie

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »
Darby O'Gill put the wind up me for years after I'd seen it in the pictures. That banshee done an awful lot of damage to my imagination.  I remember a rumour went round that there was a banshee in the wee front hall of a house in Cyprus St where there was a person dead. It was just a couple of doors down from my grannys house. I was sent a message up to my grannys. I'll never forget the fear I had walking up Servia St towards the house where the banshee was supposed to be.
Turned out it was a load of crap that somebody had made up.   Problem was, I only found out yesterday, and that happened 50 years ago :D

You're not the only person to tell me that Darby O'Gill freaked them out Teragram! It was on over the Easter break and my two boys watched it for the first time, think they were left feelng a bit disturbed, but don't know whether it was the Banshee that did it or Sean Connery's dodgy Oirish accent! :)

teragram

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »
In all seriousness Flossie, I'd say it was that bloody banshee.   >:( >:( >:(

Flossie

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2009, 02:21:26 PM »
In all seriousness Flossie, I'd say it was that bloody banshee.   >:( >:( >:(

You're probably right teragram, that banshee is pretty scary for wee minds, it was obviously very traumatic for you. ;)

Flossie

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »
Shamrock007, could I possibly be so bold as to suggest that Yvette and team could carry out an investigation at Crumlin Road jail, which, I'm led to believe, is very haunted.