Author Topic: Old Belfast ghost stories.  (Read 280253 times)

chimneyghost

Re: Old Belfast ghost stories.
« Reply #2145 on: November 13, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »
Don't know, haven't been on that street since I moved, so thankful I did

Dargan

« Reply #2146 on: November 13, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
Thank you for giving us your account, chimneyghost. I'd just like to mention that some of what you said would tick boxes in forms given out by paranormal groups in connection with alien abduction -- such as visitations by black figures in bedrooms, odd noises and doors being found open in the morning. I do not necessarily believe in alien abduction (however I approach these things with an open mind) but I know that these days a lot of consideration is being given to the possibility that aliens and ghosts are part and parcel of the same phenomenon.

I hope you experience nothing more of this kind.

Regards,
Dargan
Cryptic clue time: who wrote 1001 uses of vinegar but forgot chips? It's a war of attrition folks, make no mistake. Keep your thread alive. TF.

welder01

« Reply #2147 on: November 15, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »

Further to my posting about my in laws home recently.
I invited my brother round to their house.The contents were to be sold in auction.
I said to him if you see anything you want or need take it.
I had expected him to take the refrigerator or the gas cooker or the dish washer.
He was very quite in the house and picked up some plates.Let's be off he said.

As I was driving him home he asked me,who was the man in the corridor?
There was only my brother and I in the house.

If not now when?

eamo

« Reply #2148 on: November 16, 2013, 06:23:46 PM »
Here are some names or stories that I have heard mentioned, would love to hear details from anyone out there. Galloper Thompson, Scotty Shoe (linked to the Grand Central Hotel, now Castle Court), the infamous Banshee of Gallaghers, Lucifer's match factory etc.
if you google "rushlight" you will find some stories on that site

boneill22

« Reply #2149 on: November 20, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »
I would love to get the book Number 91, A Belfast Ghost Story by John Skillen. Is anyone selling one?

Belfastloon

« Reply #2150 on: November 21, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
When I was a baby my parents lived in a large house in tennant street it had I think been made into flats.
My mother said I was ill and the both her and myself had fallen asleep, when she awoke in the living room the curtains
looked like they were being held open as if someone was pulling them apart to look in or out. She said she was so scared
she could not even scream.

Somewhere else on this board someone else mentioned a haunted house on Tennant Street.

Does anyone know anything about this?

ias

« Reply #2151 on: December 18, 2013, 12:19:19 AM »
The house in Tennant St I'm not sure about, but there was a house around the Crumlin Road around Snuggville St I believe or one of the streets around there (I cant recall the actual street as this was near 20 years ago) that was haunted by a man who had fallen down the stairs and lay there dead for a number of days before he was found. When I was working in the area for the NIHE (sub contractor) we had a lot of people through this one house, people didn't want stay in it for it long and there where stories though I had never talked to anyone who had lived in the house bar those had just moved in. One day we doing a change of tenancy test in a house somewhere in Woodvale, where we came across one of the people who had lived in the house for a short time, we got talking to him and mentioned that we had done the test for him in the house in question a few months before. So over a cuppa he told me and the lad I was working with about strange noises in the house during the night, the final straw for him was when one night he came down the stairs in the middle of the night to see the image of a man sprawled out on the floor at the bottom of the stairs, he was still pretty shock up about it and this was a few weeks after he had moved out.

ULSTERMIST45

« Reply #2152 on: June 13, 2014, 08:14:39 PM »
Ref the ghost in crumlin rd gaol flossie, i was the unfortunate man there
Although the story has been changed by the sounds of it thru constant telling lol

thatshandy86

« Reply #2153 on: July 09, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »
Hi all,
I came across this thread/forum from reading up on local ghost occurrences, and it was a Google search result, returned from searching '55 Rockview Park, Moneymore'.

There are some great personal recollections in here, and I'd love to see the thread kept alive with more.  My own experiences, and a couple from family and friends that have stuck in my mind, I will share with you all later this evening when I get home from work.

I've spent the past few days reading this thread from start to finish, and I must confess, I favour poster's personal experiences, over the (also enjoyable) 'legends'... I can't help but wonder, for those of you who have experienced a paranormal event in their home and have since moved to a new house, how many have ever kept tabs on or have actually went back to their previous home to find out if the activity still present.
Also, for those of you who haven't, but would go back to the house, what would you say to the current occupier? How would you bring about such a topic without upsetting the person(s) or sounding like you had a screw loose?

Interested to hear your thoughts/replies!

Andy

ias

« Reply #2154 on: July 11, 2014, 09:10:54 PM »
About 10 years ago when I first started courting my other half, she had came over from London to spend a weekend with me, I had to work on the Saturday. At the time I was working in Queens Medical Library in the RVH, which was based in the Mulhouse Building. That over the years had been a mill an army base and was where the robbery scene in Odd Man Out was filmed. Now she claims to be able to feel things but has no idea how or why.
I took of a tour of the building and took her into one of the offices, to where she said to me, there's children in this room, which really freaked me out, as this had been the store room where they had stored the organs of children. I took her up to the 1st floor as there is some really nice wooden panelling from when the building was a mil, she got so far down the corridor and wouldn't go any further as she said there was a bad presence. Now at the end of this corridor there was a stair well and when I was working late at nights I would get freaked out when you passed the doors at the bottom, as if someone was watching you, other members of staff reported this as well. So I took her down to that door and she said the same thing. Legend has it that a solider is said to have hung himself in that stairwell, I've no idea if this is true or not but it freaked me out big time.

One a lighter note, I was working lates one night, I was standing on the Falls waiting for a bus or a taxi, when this wee old man, walked up to me and asked for a smoke, I handed him one and then he started to talk to me.
Him 'I was murdered on this road son'
Me 'Oh is that right' thinking to myself we've got a live one here.
Him 'Aye son, it was the IRA, They cut my throat from here to here' He runs his finger across his throat, pulling his shirt down a bit so I can see a pretty ugly scar
Me 'That's terrible mate'
Him, now shouting at the top of his voice 'It was the [censored] 'ra, they murdered me, so they did, killed me son, [censored] [censored]'
Now I'm starting to feel a wee bit worried now not only for him as he's getting the beady eye from a group of boys outside the cab depo on McQuillan St and there's me a prod with some bloke shouting abuse about the 'Ra on the Falls, bloody black cab couldn't come quick enough...I left him there shouting his head off, surreal.

Joe Soap

« Reply #2155 on: August 13, 2014, 11:00:34 AM »
Maybe not a Ghost Story but freaky goings-on along the Comber Greenway.  

Saw this on Saturday after trying to retrieve a lost ball from the high hedges at Billy Neill!!
Its tied about 10 / 12 feet up in a hawthorn bush that would be near impossible to climb up.
Apparently there are a few more further along the greenway.

Morton McDonald

« Reply #2156 on: December 17, 2014, 03:13:08 AM »
Does anyone know an Alfie Dean that lives on this street???

Marshmallow

« Reply #2157 on: December 31, 2014, 07:22:28 AM »
When I was a child of about 10 years of age, my family lived in a house with an interior yard accessible from an iron fire escape ladder which led to the rear if the first floor. I would often go from upstairs down to the kitchen that was next to the yard by way of the fire escape as it was a shorter route.
One evening when it was pretty late and dark, I went out to the top of the fire escape to make my way down. Looking down into the yard I saw the head of a woman looking up at me from a cardboard box which was sitting on the coal bunker down below. It was wearing a pink scarf and was looking straight at me with an expressionless look, full face towards me. It scared the bejabbers out of me because the yard was pitch dark and this face glowed with a light emanating from it, enough for me to see it very clearly.
Well, I screamed loudly and ran back into the house, not stopping till I reached the downstairs kitchen the long way. Terrified, I told my parents what I had just seen. My dad put on the outside light and opened the yard door, bringing in the cardboard box. Inside it were newspapers etc. and on top was an old a Woman's Own magazine with a laughing girl side face with long flowing curly blonde hair. This was NOT the face I saw and I told them. They laughed it off which I can understand but to this day, 50 years or so on, I clearly recall the face I saw.
Some of us are here!

greyghost

« Reply #2158 on: April 03, 2015, 07:19:19 AM »
I haven't been around for a while, things here in New Zealand have been kinda hectic. My husband Paul has been very ill and for those of you who know me I have congestive heart failure. But I still pop in form time to time and check on the ghost stories. Where is FLossie I don't see her around. The ghost stories have certainly slowed up, but then there are only so many to tell.
Will post some details on new web - site shortly with lots of Irish ghosties.
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

eros

« Reply #2159 on: April 03, 2015, 07:57:30 AM »
I have an ecopy of 91 Beechmount Ave I was lucky to get a copy from a member I would be happy to post a copy to anyone who wants a copy
Two members asked me for a copy and I posted out two flashpens so that they could download onto their PC and return the fkashpens to me  I have never heÓrd from them  again maybe they did post them ?but I didn't receive the pens back

And for some reason I cannot just email my copy to anyone that would like a copy 
Eros :)
Lest we Forget