Author Topic: Donegal Pass  (Read 92331 times)

Eileenov

Donegal Pass
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »
Looking at all the other threads reminds me also of another area which was a great place for shopping all those years ago.
I remember it had a dolls hospital and great toy shop, shoe repair shop owned by Mr Wright and several builders yards.  Rodgers' supermarket had a great display out on the footpath as well inside the shop. It was a great place to find a bargain!

Eleanor

Re: Donegal Pass
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:59:59 PM »
Looking at all the other threads reminds me also of another area which was a great place for shopping all those years ago.
I remember it had a dolls hospital and great toy shop, shoe repair shop owned by Mr Wright and several builders yards.  Rodgers' supermarket had a great display out on the footpath as well inside the shop. It was a great place to find a bargain!

Hello Eileenov.  There is already a Donegall Pass thread. Look back through the topics on this board. ;)
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

Eileenov

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:35:04 PM »
I was unaware of the other Thread about Donegal Pass. Someone was looking for a photo of the area. I don't have any pictures, sorry. Maybe try Google.

irishblueeyes

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »
I was unaware of the other Thread about Donegal Pass. Someone was looking for a photo of the area. I don't have any pictures, sorry. Maybe try Google.

My father bought quite a lot from the pawn shop in Donegal pass and wasn't the toy shop there, near to Shaftsbury Square, called McBride's? I recall looking in the window at things i would never own...

Eileenov

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:52:27 AM »
I used to visit the toy shop very often, mainly to dream of what I would have liked to own! I also brought some dolls to have them repaired. Don't know how they sustained so many 'accidents' :)
The Shaftesbury Square post office used to be on the corner of Donegal Pass, in a smaller building. :-\

tomcollins

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:05:05 AM »
There was also a post office at the Ormeau Road end of the Pass , beside McSORLEY the doctors and the funeral home which I can't recall the name of?
McBrides was opposite the Police.
The only pawn shop I remember was on the corner of Coyle Street and the Ormeau Road.

olelad

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »
quite afew guys from the pass went to st augustines up untill 1972.  one guy in our class came from silvergrove st. place i never knew much about.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »
There was also a post office at the Ormeau Road end of the Pass , beside McSORLEY the doctors and the funeral home which I can't recall the name of?
McBrides was opposite the Police.
The only pawn shop I remember was on the corner of Coyle Street and the Ormeau Road.
The pawn shop was called Billy Mitchell's it was down at the Ormeau Road end of the Pass next to Harkness's Chippy on the corner of Charlotte Street.
Billy also sold lot of new stuff, and my sister's remember my Mum always went with them to see Billy to get new "Gutties"(posh name - Gym Shoes) for starting back to school. And my Dad always went to him to get his new work boot.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

tomato

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 10:38:05 PM »
The pawn shop was called Billy Mitchell's it was down at the Ormeau Road end of the Pass next to Harkness's Chippy on the corner of Charlotte Street.
Billy also sold lot of new stuff, and my sister's remember my Mum always went with them to see Billy to get new "Gutties"(posh name - Gym Shoes) for starting back to school. And my Dad always went to him to get his new work boot.
is his son now in eastenders :D

Eileenov

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 12:22:36 AM »
quite afew guys from the pass went to st augustines up untill 1972.  one guy in our class came from silvergrove st. place i never knew much about.
I knew a family from Silvergrove St who more than likely had sons who went to St Augustine's, by the surname Finnegan.

olelad

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 09:55:54 AM »
I knew a family from Silvergrove St who more than likely had sons who went to St Augustine's, by the surname Finnegan.

the guys name was tommy morrisey RIP. think they moved into the lower ormo area as did plenty others from the pass.

Eileenov

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »
Olelad,
yes I think there was a sister maybe called Rosanne. I know the Finnegans went to live in Shaftesbury Avenue. Eileenov

olelad

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »
Olelad,
yes I think there was a sister maybe called Rosanne. I know the Finnegans went to live in Shaftesbury Avenue. Eileenov

there was definalty at least one sister, no sure on the name tbh.

roy231

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 08:28:51 AM »
anyone know the whitesides from the pass

there was definalty at least one sister, no sure on the name tbh.
[/quote]

roy231

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 09:00:57 AM »
is there anyone on the fourm in the pass  >:(