Author Topic: Donegal Pass  (Read 97242 times)

IRISHDIVA

Re: Donegal Pass
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »

What else do you know about it?  About them?  Do you remember a man called Wesley? What was the wee shop called??

Lammy150. I have answered your email. The shop was called Lyttle's, Think that is the right spelling as I just looked it up online in a old Street directory, and yes Wesley was Lizzie's Son or Nephew, not sure. He was disabled (as was Lizzie) but he raced motor bikes. I think they had some kind of genetic inherited problem. I hated to go into it as was so dark and smelled.,and Lizzie was very crotchety. But my Granny always told me the only thing she would buy from it  was a bottle of milk. lol
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

SamG

« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2012, 06:05:32 AM »
SamG, Geordie Crawford was my Uncle, his wife Lily was my Mum's sister they lived next door to each other in Lindsay St. before we moved away. My Mum was one of the Stewarts from the Gasworks.

IRISHDIVA We all knew George Crawford as a splendid bloke and also his son George but I lost touch when we moved away in 78.     I know I should remember where Lindsay St was but memories are fading. They were just a cluster of terrace streets which were my second home really.  I do remember a house which was converted into a sort of takeaway and was a source of terrific homemade dinners for us at lunch time, not only a chippy but providing proper dinners at lunch time.
I remember another small corner shop ran by a chap with a disability, just a sweet shop but quite handy for Howard St South and the businesses there.
Mr Wallace was a joiner and had a shop fronting on the Ormeau Road and the back was in Howard St South.  There was really so much happening in that area at the time and now that I am back I see it looks so deserted with all life seemingly gone.   The fire station looks like it has been there forever but I know it hasn't!

Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

SamG

« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »

SamG

« Reply #213 on: August 26, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »

SamG

« Reply #214 on: August 26, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »

lammy150

« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »
Fantastic SamG.  Thanks for the photos of Howard Street South.  As I said recently, my family were born and rared here in this very street.  I am trying to research the area, the people, and all about it.  Around 20 years ago me and my cousin would visit Sands' bar (The Ivy) every Saturday for a couple of pints and a catch up with some of the Donegall Pass characters. 

SamG

« Reply #216 on: August 27, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »

This was at the corner from Donegall Pass and turning right into Howard St South.     I wish I had 50p for every time I made that turn in the 60's and 70's leading me to my work in Angus House (opposite Mrs Best as I recall).     I also can't believe that we all have digital cameras now which can hold 1000+ photos and storable for nothing, when back in those days every photo had to be thought about carefully because of the developing cost.     I am furious with myself because I never took enough photos even though I have always been so interested in photography, but I just couldn't afford it and run my motorbike as well!
So simple and na´ve at 18 to think that this part of my life would always be there and therefore no need to capture it.  How I wish I had known what I do now.  I'm sorry Lammy150 but I don't have many photos of that area but as 15 years of my life was spent in and around there I really wish I have done more to capture it forever.
SamG, with lots of regrets.

edrite

« Reply #217 on: August 27, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »
 Wesley Lyttle
       was severely handicapped  but that did not stop him racing Motor bikes .also he was   
       a very accomplished Photographer ,he had his own Dark Room with all mod cons for processing , and was a Member of the ''Y M C A '' Camera Club  His circumstances did not hold him back in these matters
                                                         edrite

bigt1957

« Reply #218 on: August 27, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
george crawford and lizzie and wesley little were legends hahahahaha. i was born and bred in rainey st, still live with my grown up family but on other side f the pass due to redevelopment. i have some phots but if lammy goes into donegallpass community forums site lots of pics in the gallery. i knew the bests well and the youngs next door and the beggs and the graceys lol
Sometimes the most difficult choices are the very ones that can bring us the greatest rewards.

SamG

« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »
bigt1957.  Do you remember the terrace house converted into a takeaway further up Howard St South which did proper dinners as well as chips at lunchtime?  I have spoken to a few and not many remember it.

lammy150

« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
I remember a wee chippy that sat on the corner opposites Sands' bar.  The passnot?  My mum used to take me into it on my frequent visits to the hospital.  edrite,  what sort of motorbike racing did Wesley Lyttle do?  I have tried to find out about him in motorcycling circles, but have found nothing.  As well as researching the Donegall Pass I also have a keen interest in local motorcycle racing.

lammy150

« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »
i knew the bests well and the youngs next door and the beggs and the graceys lol

I am Eileen Best eldest son

bigt1957

« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »
tried a pic
Sometimes the most difficult choices are the very ones that can bring us the greatest rewards.

SamG

« Reply #223 on: August 27, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »

This was at the corner from Donegall Pass and turning right into Howard St South. I wish I had 50p for every time I made that turn in the 60's and 70's leading me to my work in Angus House (opposite Mrs Best as I recall). I also can't believe that we all have digital cameras now which can hold 1000+ photos and storable for nothing, when back in those days every photo had to be thought about carefully because of the developing cost. I am furious with myself because I never took enough photos even though I have always been so interested in photography, but I just couldn't afford it and run my motorbike as well!
 So simple and na´ve at 18 to think that this part of my life would always be there and therefore no need to capture it. How I wish I had known what I do now. I'm sorry Lammy150 but I don't have many photos of that area but as 15 years of my life was spent in and around there I really wish I have done more to capture it forever.
 SamG, with lots of regrets.

SamG

« Reply #224 on: August 27, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »
Sorry I don't know why some of these are disappearing and then reappearing from my original posts on page 15.