Author Topic: Donegal Pass  (Read 98428 times)

SamG

Re: Donegal Pass
« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2012, 12:44:18 PM »
This one keeps vanishing and returning as well!!

Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

bigt1957

« Reply #226 on: August 27, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »
Sometimes the most difficult choices are the very ones that can bring us the greatest rewards.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2012, 04:49:33 PM »
bigt1957.  Do you remember the terrace house converted into a takeaway further up Howard St South which did proper dinners as well as chips at lunchtime?  I have spoken to a few and not many remember it.

I think your talking about the chippy, it was called Harry Dornan's, it was in a converted house in Howard Street South just up after you crossed over Charlotta Street. That was a long time ago, I don't know if it was still open passed the mid the seventies.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

edrite

« Reply #228 on: August 27, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
The '' Wee Chippy '' in Howard St South was ''Harry Dornans '' He was also the Captain of
 the 2O th B B, In the Methodist Church at Mc Clure St corner. Wesley was to the best of my
 knowledge connected to a Motor Bike Club in Shorts Aircraft where he worked at one time.
                                                                                                      edrite

edrite

« Reply #229 on: August 27, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
 Me Again.
              The Old Church Hall In the Pic has a real tradition behind it . This is where
              Mr Mc Vicar ,formed the 1st Boys Brigade in Ireland; connected to the Magdalene
               C O I in the Donegall Pass.
                                                        edrite

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #230 on: August 27, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
Me Again.
              The Old Church Hall In the Pic has a real tradition behind it . This is where
              Mr Mc Vicar ,formed the 1st Boys Brigade in Ireland; connected to the Magdalene
               C O I in the Donegall Pass.
                                                        edrite

Your spot on re the church hall. We lived just across from it, and the shop just a few doors down from it on the other corner of Lindsay Street & Charlotte St was a Dairy shop but everyone just called it, Sadie in the Dairy, Sadie had a son call John Alexander, he had a car when not many people had cars in the area. 

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #231 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:37 PM »

Samg, That's so sad, That is my Garnny Stewarts house right on the corner all bricked up. She only lived in it in her later years, The family that lived in it for years before that was called Allen.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #232 on: August 27, 2012, 06:28:59 PM »
This is a link to another thread on the Belfast Forum, Think it's photo's of Argus House being pulled down. When it opens up just scroll up, my Nephew posted them so as I could see how much the area is changing.

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,28267.msg591107.html#msg591107

SamG

« Reply #233 on: August 27, 2012, 07:39:04 PM »
I think your talking about the chippy, it was called Harry Dornan's, it was in a converted house in Howard Street South just up after you crossed over Charlotta Street. That was a long time ago, I don't know if it was still open passed the mid the seventies.

Excellent, thank you both. I was beginning to think I dreamt it being there.  It was actually very good in the mid 60's and early 70's when we needed something to look forward to after a morning ingesting clouds of brake asbestos dust (pre H&S regs of course) to be able to wander up the street and get a decent dinner. It was always packed out to the street at lunchtimes but we never wondered how it managed to be legal nor indeed did we care.

SamG

« Reply #234 on: August 27, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »

I think I took that photo in about 1994 on one of my many visits "home".  Did you never see it like that before it was all pulled down IRISHDIVA?

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2012, 07:48:45 PM »
I remember a wee chippy that sat on the corner opposites Sands' bar.  The passnot?  My mum used to take me into it on my frequent visits to the hospital.  edrite,  what sort of motorbike racing did Wesley Lyttle do?  I have tried to find out about him in motorcycling circles, but have found nothing.  As well as researching the Donegall Pass I also have a keen interest in local motorcycle racing.

This chippy was known as Greasy Edie's, owned by Edie Harkness, she fried the meat pies. My father in law loved them.

SamG

« Reply #236 on: August 27, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
Does anyone know why a few photos I posted have been removed?  I never removed them but I have posted them all again and hope they remain this time.  :not_i:

SamG

« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »

SamG

« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2012, 07:55:45 PM »

edrite

« Reply #239 on: August 27, 2012, 08:38:41 PM »
To take the Pic in Howard St South looking to Ormeau Rd.You must have been standing
 just outside Geordie Bests house
                                                 edrite