Author Topic: Donegal Pass  (Read 98927 times)

Eileenov

Re: Donegal Pass
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 10:26:51 PM »

This is Lake street in the course of being demolished.  Must have been in the 80's
lakestreet,
Again I have to say your photos bring back so many memories of an area where I used to go with my mother shopping etc. I'm saddened to see the way the area declined, but I know by now it may have been redeveloped. I have not been around those streets for years. Do you know what it looks like now?
Thanks for all the memories
Eileenov :)

Eileenov

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2009, 10:32:49 PM »
That first photo is The Mary Magdaline Church Hall, Oh my goodness it is really run down from when I remember it. We lived just across from it in Lindsay Street, I move away when I was five but all my  Mums family still lived in the area so I was always back to see the Aunts & my Granny, names  Stewart & the McNallys all very into the horse's  and Carter & Coal people.
Irishdiva,
do you know if the shop Scott's butcher shop, was near to Bamford's bakery? It looks familiar, but I'm just trying to remember where it was located. It is so sad to see how the area has declined. iI used to be such a vibrant shopping area. It is good to see the photos though.
Eileenov

Eileenov

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2009, 10:34:29 PM »

sword,
thanks for posting these photos. They bring back childhood memories.

sword

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2009, 10:36:49 PM »
I think the church hall  was on the corner of Charlotte street.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2009, 10:37:58 PM »
Irishdiva,
do you know if the shop Scott's butcher shop, was near to Bamford's bakery? It looks familiar, but I'm just trying to remember where it was located. It is so sad to see how the area has declined. iI used to be such a vibrant shopping area. It is good to see the photos though.
Eileenov

Sorry don't know, If  Scotts was on the other side of the Pass (on the Co-op side I would not know it, my Granny always sent me to Billy Yarr's on the front of the Ormeau Road, so as I did not need to cross the Pass. But I am sure someone will get back to you.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

sword

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2009, 10:41:20 PM »
Irishdiva,
Eileenov

Yes Hughie and stanley butcher shop, then the singer shop, bamfords bakery, lyons bakery and at one time a spar type shop on the corner.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2009, 10:45:29 PM »
I think the church hall  was on the corner of Charlotte street.

Your correct it was on the corner of Charlotte Street & Rainey Street. The Belfast 1st BB used this hall as it belonged to the Church of Ireland with the same name that was on the Donegall Pass.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

Eileenov

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2009, 10:46:24 PM »
Yes Hughie and stanley butcher shop, then the singer shop, bamfords bakery, lyons bakery and at one time a spar type shop on the corner.
sword,
thanks for helping my memory. It is sad to see the way the place has gone. I just loved going there to shop with my mother, as a child. It had everything you could have wanted in terms of choice of shops.
Thanks again for the photos.

sword

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
Think it was Smith's church hall. That the big church at the bottom of the Pass near the Gas works. The clock on the gas works now keeps perfect time, never while the gasworks was open!!!lol

declan

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2009, 12:48:46 AM »
I have some old street directories and will look up Lake street tomorrow for Dumigan family.  I remember Murphy; O'Sullivan; Bacon; Southwell; Murphy; Williamson.  I think there was a Mrs Dumigan but my Dad [ who is almost 91 ] will remember.
I'll come back on this one.  Hope you like the photo's of the street taken just before it was demolished.  Jim
I CAN REMEMBER   JIM BACON MR AND MRS O'SULLIVAN TOM MURPHY

declan

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2009, 12:53:44 AM »
I CAN REMEMBER JIM BACON AND MR AND MRS O'SULLIVAN TOM MURPHY. WE LIVE AT 19 LAKE ST AND CAN ANYONE REMEMBER MR WATSON SUNDAY SCHOOL MY BROTHER AND ME WENT EVERY SUNDAY FOR YEAR

roy231

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »
the photos are great bring back alot of good times had in lake

roy231

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »
declan i was jim bacons mate last time i was home i had a few brinks with him

lakestreet

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2009, 11:27:06 PM »

Eileennov ...I will post some up to date pictures of the area.  Here's one of the Paragon and adjoining shops.  My mother used to go into the Paragon from the 1950's right up until a few years ago.

lakestreet

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2009, 11:28:54 PM »

This used to be a Pentecostal Church...Donegall Pass