Author Topic: Donegal Pass  (Read 97239 times)

SamG

Re: Donegal Pass
« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2012, 08:48:23 PM »
To take the Pic in Howard St South looking to Ormeau Rd.You must have been standing
 just outside Geordie Bests house
                                                 edrite
That is quite interesting edrite because although 43 years ago and failing memory I remember the Bests house was across the street from where the blue Transit van was parked.  The last terrace before the Pub - but I could be wrong so forgive me.
Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #241 on: August 27, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »

I think I took that photo in about 1994 on one of my many visits "home".  Did you never see it like that before it was all pulled down IRISHDIVA?

The last time I was home this is what was now on that corner, the red door would be right about the same place as the gable.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

SamG

« Reply #242 on: August 27, 2012, 09:04:58 PM »
Yes IRISHDIVA alas you are correct and that is what it looks like now.  There was a gap at that time between visits home for me and I remember being appalled when I rounded the corner and saw so much was gone.  It looked like it had always been that way but I knew it hadn't.  Going further down the street I saw the fire station for the first time.  Where did that come from?
Angus House was still standing though (on its own) and I took a few photos and even one with my wife at the main door because that is where we met and worked together.  Then a while later I was on the BF and saw that it was being knocked down so those few photos are priceless to us although meaningless to others.

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »
Don't know if anyone is interested, but I have this old Belfast street map. I have scanned it at 600 bpi so it should be clear. If you download it you should be able to enlarge it to see the streets your interested in etc. This map was from before the started knocked it all down.

edrite

« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2012, 06:30:21 AM »
Hello SAM G
                  You are probably right. as you say , the memory is not what it
                   used to be, However ,Keep up the Good Work, You''re doing a good job
                                                                                                  edrite

SamG

« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2012, 07:24:30 AM »

bigt1957

« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »
Your spot on re the church hall. We lived just across from it, and the shop just a few doors down from it on the other corner of Lindsay Street & Charlotte St was a Dairy shop but everyone just called it, Sadie in the Dairy, Sadie had a son call John Alexander, he had a car when not many people had cars in the area.

My goodness its great to hear these things. I remember sadie in the diary. i was born and reared in rainey st.  i remember those house you lived in and the corner one wast turned into a workshop for batteries or somethings like that. nice
Sometimes the most difficult choices are the very ones that can bring us the greatest rewards.

bigt1957

« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »

The corner of Pine Street and that business was acrss the road frm ld mcdowells hideout bar. the shop in the picture became a co-op then in and around the 80,s was given over for community use as meeting hall etc nice pic
Sometimes the most difficult choices are the very ones that can bring us the greatest rewards.

bigt1957

« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2012, 09:34:26 AM »

posnett st from botanic ave

SamG

« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »
The corner of Pine Street and that business was acrss the road frm ld mcdowells hideout bar. the shop in the picture became a co-op then in and around the 80,s was given over for community use as meeting hall etc nice pic
I took that photo from the front of W.H.Connelly's garage in the late 60's.  I only remember the shop across the road as a Co-op but it had a butchers attached and he made the most fantastic meat pies and kept them hot in an oven.  When I stopped working in that area and moved to England in 1978 I felt there were going to be a lot of changes around there but they were the best days of my life in my first job.

Eileenov

« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2012, 11:22:49 PM »
I have really enjoyed seeing the recent photographs of Donegal Pass. It is slowly helping me to remember the place I knew so well as a child. I would be interested to know if anyone has any photographs of Rodger's Food Shop, facing Donegal Pass Police Station and McBride's Toy shop.
I am also trying to recall the names of a Hardware/Building supplies shop, just along past The Paragon, going towards the Ormeau Road.
Thanks for any help:)

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2012, 10:00:14 PM »
OK. I made it down to the basement, this was an old Cityweek cutting that my Mum  had. I must be related to about 50% of these people, I see Mum and Aunts and Cousins in every row. Can anyone else find a Mum or Granny Aunt or Cousin in this photo. Was taken around 1967

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »
This photo taken in The Park Avenue Hotal around 1967. It was a dinner for Ballynafeigh Junior LOL 43. That's what is written on the back of the photo.
Front row Left to right:
Lily Crawford (My Aunt) Lindsay Street
Don't know name of next lady
I think the lady in the middle was called Beggs ( I think the girl far right back row was her Daughter.
Next My Mum Maggie Fletcher (Former Lindsay Street)
Nellie McCadden ( I called her Aunt but she was not related) Lived in Howard Street South across the street from Argus House.

SamG

« Reply #253 on: September 01, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »
"Lived in Howard Street South across the street from Argus House."
IRISHDIVA you are spending too much time shopping  :)  - It was Angus house and I worked in there and could wave over at Nellie and the neighbours when fully kitted up in my protective gear, gas mask and all.   Happy days.  O0

bigt1957

« Reply #254 on: September 03, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »
I have really enjoyed seeing the recent photographs of Donegal Pass. It is slowly helping me to remember the place I knew so well as a child. I would be interested to know if anyone has any photographs of Rodger's Food Shop, facing Donegal Pass Police Station and McBride's Toy shop.
I am also trying to recall the names of a Hardware/Building supplies shop, just along past The Paragon, going towards the Ormeau Road.
Thanks for any help:)

eileen the name of the shop was McIlroys this was hard work but i got there hahahahahah