Author Topic: Donegal Pass  (Read 97830 times)

Eileenov

Re: Donegal Pass
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2012, 07:19:45 PM »
Thank you so much. I would never, ever have guessed that name!!! I think that there was a shop which sold mirrors and glass nearby. Perhaps it was the same shop???
I spent so much time spending pocket money in the shops buying gifts for my mother, then messages and buying bread from Bamfords Home Bakery and taking shoes to be repaired by Mr Wright. Great days and a really vibrant shopping area. I wish we had thought of taking photographs back in tose days! Eileenov

SamG

« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »
I wish we had thought of taking photographs back in those days! Eileenov

I am endlessly dismayed that even with my interest in photography from early 60's days I always had to consider the cost of developing my roll of 8 snaps at a time.  Now we have the ability to take thousands for next to nothing and store them easily.  If only I had this equipment back in those days to record the past. 
My wife used to be a travel agent and I pestered her for a weekend return ticket to 1965.  8)
Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

edrite

« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »
  Hello Folks
               The Glass & Mirror Man  nearly facing Pine St was Rodney Cambell.
               I still have one of his Mirrors my Mother bought from him in 1955
                it is still  a brilliant piece of work.
                                                                   edrite

Eileenov

« Reply #258 on: September 03, 2012, 11:42:08 PM »
SamG and edrite,

Thank you both for your interest....
I remember the cost of leaving a roll of film into the chemist to be developed, especially as there were many mistakes!!

Thank you for remembering another name edrite, I can now remember the inside of the shop quite well. My mother bought several mirrors from there as well.
It is sad that so many individual shops have gone and forgotten by so many. Eileenov

Johnny Carson

« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2012, 04:32:16 AM »
this is the Havelock end of old Vernon St....

Ulster1922

« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2012, 07:35:58 AM »
I am still looking for information on Buntings Fancy Box makers. They were on Donegal Pass just before Ormeau RD., & was on the right side of the street. It was real close to the Waterworks/Gasworks terminus.
My mum worked there until 1952 & lost her sight there, Would love to find a photo or some info on what happened to it.
I went to McQuiston & my brother went to Porters until 1952.
Thank's

Billy Scott
No matter where I roam, Belfast will always be my home.

Mills and Boon

« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »
I remmember the mirror shop well. On Saturday mornings as we made our way home after a swim in the Ormeau  Baths we stopped to do a "Harry Worth"(remember him?) against the mirrors at the front of the shop.It was harmless enough but the manager/owner never saw the funny side and chased . Needless to say the everytime we passed the shop we preformed a "HW" and we got chased. He never had a chance of catching us . Mind you for a wee fat man he could move,

bigt1957

« Reply #262 on: September 09, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
  Hello Folks
               The Glass & Mirror Man  nearly facing Pine St was Rodney Cambell.
               I still have one of his Mirrors my Mother bought from him in 1955
                it is still  a brilliant piece of work.
                                                                   edrite
Yes he was next to chambers and beside harry the pawn shop hahahahah a thriving thoroughfare was donegall pass with great transport links via ormeau, botanic, shaftesbury sq and of course the 77 bus to waterworks. lol now there is very little and its sad to witness daily its demise but the govt wanted change

terry
Sometimes the most difficult choices are the very ones that can bring us the greatest rewards.

liamo1

« Reply #263 on: September 09, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »

I lived in Vernon Street in the 1950s..up to 1961...?  Name is Liam Byrne...I was in 59 Vernon Street. What number you..? Donegal Pass in those days was "ALIVE"..hustle bustle....shoppers etc..especially on a Saturday. Last time I drove down it last year when I was in Belfast/...it was like a Ghost Town. Eeeerie.  Would LOVE if anybody had any old photos from the 1940s 04 50s or 60s of Donegal Pass or Vernon Street..or any of the Streets around there like...Conduit St, Elm St, Beech St, Silvergrove St, Auburn St, Virginia St, Posnett St, etc. Cheers

i lived in vernon st, in the 60,s went to porters primary.

liamo1

« Reply #264 on: September 09, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »

Wasn't it Coyle Place..? Ryan O'Gorman lived there..????

COYLE STREET DONEGALL PASS,know anyone who lived there??

sammy a

« Reply #265 on: November 01, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »
grew up in the pass,mostly played in rainey street,collected for the boney, got spuds off the back of strayhorns lorry. and made chips in ashwoods house.went to the Thlifeboys then the  35TH bb...family moved to suffolk about 1970.brother lived apsley street. and i used to come back to see all my mates.
hi jambo, are you the clever git who passed his 11 plus and went to grosvenor just after you tried to set our house on fire with a burning chip pan?

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #266 on: January 09, 2013, 05:36:52 PM »
Just bumping this thread up for to help a new member find it.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

george moore

« Reply #267 on: January 09, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
Does anyone remember Cradman's Chemist in the Pass. He once had a notice in the window for condoms "Buy me and stop one" Says a lot for my mind!!!

d.stewart

« Reply #268 on: January 09, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »
hi folks,iam trying to find anybody who remembers my dads family from the pass. billy stewart who is now 65 and his parents were bobby and jean stewart and his sisiter is jean. they lived charlotte st, lynsey st. his dads family and the mcanleys were in in the coal and horse business. would love to hear from anybody that knowes him,thanks.

bigt1957

« Reply #269 on: January 09, 2013, 08:24:20 PM »
hi folks,iam trying to find anybody who remembers my dads family from the pass. billy stewart who is now 65 and his parents were bobby and jean stewart and his sisiter is jean. they lived charlotte st, lynsey st. his dads family and the mcanleys were in in the coal and horse business. would love to hear from anybody that knowes him,thanks.

Hiya

I knew all the stewarts and the relatives including auld bobby and jean im one of the watsons from rainey st born and reared in d pass ;)
Sometimes the most difficult choices are the very ones that can bring us the greatest rewards.