Author Topic: Donegal Pass  (Read 96942 times)

sting1793

Re: Donegal Pass
« Reply #345 on: September 15, 2013, 12:13:14 AM »
Don't remember it being that far down.  I lived closer to Shaftesbury Square but my husband came from Erin st, and in my memories, Pine st was facing Apsley st, as it still is.
    East it is Oak street that is facing Apsley street. Walnut street is directly facing Charlotte street with the remnants of Pine street to the right of it  :)

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #346 on: September 15, 2013, 01:07:46 AM »
Ye, I know. I posted a map 1st September, showing the streets mentioned. Forgot about Oak street.

SamG

« Reply #347 on: September 15, 2013, 08:13:21 AM »
Sorry, I think it was me who started all the confusion.  I had made contact with an ex- Pass resident now in Canada and we were discussing the streets in that area.  Eventually I had to go down to refresh my memory but the changes in shops had me confused from what I remember.  However the streets haven't moved!!  :)

Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

jaysteele 48

« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2014, 09:03:37 PM »
anyone know the whitesides from the pass
are they from copeland st?

Dougie Massey

« Reply #349 on: March 15, 2014, 08:56:26 PM »
Good pic of St Mary Magdalene Choir I know 5 boys starting from the left lol Can anyone name them all?

T
David Rogers, Gary McCullough, William Rogers, Bill Rothwell, Hugh Linear, not sure next one, Brain Mc Carroll

Dougie Massey

« Reply #350 on: March 15, 2014, 09:03:10 PM »
there is a good photo of us in p3 on donegall pass memories I am probably very late with this as I have just found out about this forum Dougie Massey

jaysteele 48

« Reply #351 on: March 16, 2014, 09:23:10 PM »
cassidys was always cassidys. the rams head was further down towards the ormeau road end on the block before the end. bookies on same side on other end of block called "" DUFFS ""....BROTHER USED TO WORK THERE. I LIVED 2 DOORS FROM CASSIDYS PUB. manys a pork pie i had for my tea. they used to bottle there own stout round the side door in apsley street.used to get the tintops from JOHN ,,,one of the workers and nail them along our guiders....good memmories....
ram's head was on the corner of bankmore street and ormeau road ,gas dep't showroom on the opposite corner!

lammy150

« Reply #352 on: August 10, 2014, 09:39:51 AM »
The lady in the centre of the photo I believe is my Granny, May Best. The woman standing to mans left just behind her is my mummy Eileen Best. Thanks for posting this photo I love seeing old photos and being able to make a connection with them.

lammy150

« Reply #353 on: August 10, 2014, 03:28:12 PM »

The lady sitting in the centre is I believe my granny, May Best of Howard Street South.  The girl back row far right, to the mans left is definitely my mum, Eileen Best of Howard st South.  Don't know who the gent is but thanks for posting this photo!!!

"Lived in Howard Street South across the street from Argus House."
IRISHDIVA you are spending too much time shopping  :)  - It was Angus house and I worked in there and could wave over at Nellie and the neighbours when fully kitted up in my protective gear, gas mask and all.   Happy days.  O0

lammy150

« Reply #354 on: August 10, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »
I was unaware of the other Thread about Donegal Pass. Someone was looking for a photo of the area. I don't have any pictures, sorry. Maybe try Google.

Can you point me in the direction of this page please?

lammy150

« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »
Hello Eileenov.  There is already a Donegall Pass thread. Look back through the topics on this board. ;)

Wrong quote used in the last post.  Can you please point me in the direction of the other Donegall Pass thread?

tute the time lord

« Reply #356 on: August 11, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »
great motorcycle shopping area , jonny venus tattos shop , ed coulters custom bike shop , the pig station too , and the citroen garage at the other end ,

SamG

« Reply #357 on: August 11, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »
Motorbike shops were Terry Boyd and opposite Maurice Russell then W.J.Chambers further down and another which I can't remember.  The Citroen garage was Connelly's.  Opposite Chambers was the Co-op with the best meat pies in their butchery section. 

SamG

« Reply #358 on: August 11, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »
The lady in the centre of the photo I believe is my Granny, May Best. The woman standing to mans left just behind her is my mummy Eileen Best.
I worked in Angus House from 1965 - 1978 and I knew Mrs Best but I don't know which one she would have been.  Although I only worked there I felt a part of the community who lived there.

bittles

« Reply #359 on: October 12, 2014, 02:07:49 AM »
I remember a wee chippy that sat on the corner opposites Sands' bar.  The passnot?  My mum used to take me into it on my frequent visits to the hospital.  edrite,  what sort of motorbike racing did Wesley Lyttle do?  I have tried to find out about him in motorcycling circles, but have found nothing.  As well as researching the Donegall Pass I also have a keen interest in local motorcycle racing.

Lammy150. I lived at 14 Lindsay St from the age of 3 years until I joined the Irish Guards in 1961. Your Mother and I were childhood friends along with Albert Gracey and Tommy Boyd. My uncle Wesley raced at the Temple 100 and won. His bike was a James Cadet 122 which he revamped to a 125cc. This bike was rated (at the time) to be the fastest 125cc in the country.
I remember your family well. Your aunt Nora the eldest girl was a real looker (very pretty) just like your Mum. BigT. probably remembers me as wee Jackie.