Author Topic: Donegal Pass  (Read 94428 times)

bittles

Re: Donegal Pass
« Reply #360 on: October 12, 2014, 07:04:42 AM »
This photo taken in The Park Avenue Hotal around 1967. It was a dinner for Ballynafeigh Junior LOL 43. That's what is written on the back of the photo.
Front row Left to right:
Lily Crawford (My Aunt) Lindsay Street
Don't know name of next lady
I think the lady in the middle was called Beggs ( I think the girl far right back row was her Daughter.
Next My Mum Maggie Fletcher (Former Lindsay Street)
Nellie McCadden ( I called her Aunt but she was not related) Lived in Howard Street South across the street from Argus House.

IRISHDIVA I was raised at 14 Lindsay St between 1946 and 1961 when I left to Join the Irish Guards. I would swear that the pretty lady standing in the back row and to the right is my old friend Eillen Best from Howard St South. Jackie Bittles.

bittles

« Reply #361 on: October 14, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
Anybody remember any of the following people who lived off the Pass during the 50's and 60's. Albert Gracie (Howard St.South). Eileen Best (Howard St.South.) Thomas Boyd (Bankmore St.) Bertie Winters (Howard St.South.) Stewart Kirkwood (Rainey St) Morris Coats (Copeland St) ?
I lived is the wee shop (Lizzie Lyttle's) 14 Lindsay St and attended McQuiston and Porters schools. Finished up attending Ashfield. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me. Now living in British Columbia Canada and enjoying retirement.

Jackie Bittles.

flojo

« Reply #362 on: November 17, 2014, 08:44:16 PM »
I was born and lived in Vernon street until 1971 I went to mcquistons then porters my grandparents lived in conduit St and great grandparents lived in auburn St  so as you can see I am Donegal pass through and through  my name us Florence .

bittles

« Reply #363 on: November 24, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »
Hi Flojo, Great to hear from you. I have not been back to Belfast since 1969 after being posted there for a short time when serving with the Irish Guards.
There are a couple of guy's I used to hang around with from the street behind McQuiston's. Dessie Thorburn and Dermott (Dee-Dee) McIlroy. Another character was Freddie Sherrgold. Ever heard of them.  :)

liamo1

« Reply #364 on: November 25, 2014, 12:07:23 AM »
I was born and lived on Vernon Street until 1961..(Number 59). I remember Dee Dee McIlroy....Lived in Beech Street I think. He had an older Brother Jim McIlroy...redhaired with glasses and sang like Elvis Presley...also they had a little sister..I think she was a spastic child. ??? Wonder whatever happened to the McIlroys..?...Other names from around Vernon Street at that time..Stanley McCrum, Noel and Leslie  Glendinning, Drew Jordan, Billy Livingstone, The Hunter Brothers (Auburn Street)..John and Leslie.....Ruth Baird, Margaret O'Boyle (also lived on Beech Street), Sammy Gregg, ...anybody remember any of those and any update on what happened to them all..?

Liam Byrne

bittles

« Reply #365 on: November 25, 2014, 12:48:52 AM »
Hello Liam1, I remember a number of the names you mention although only knew them on a casual basis. There are faces that I picture but fail to put a name to them. Guess that what getting old does to us.
Dee-Dee McIlroy and I served in the Irish Guards and he used to take a lot of heat about his red hair. You have to admit though, it was flame red and probably the best head of hair possible. Another name that comes to mind is Robert Turner a fantastic little football player.
Are you still living on the Pass ? I spent 14 years in the Guards then moved to Canada at the end of 1974. Forty years goes fast, when you're enjoying yourself.  :) .

Jen43

« Reply #366 on: December 28, 2014, 01:18:26 AM »
Does anyone remember the name of the Chinese Restaurant opposite the Police Statiin, Donegal Pass, in the 1980's and 2000's?

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #367 on: December 28, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »
It was originally called The Manor House, then became Sun Kee

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #368 on: December 28, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
The Manor House/Sun Kee was at the corner of Posnett st.

I remember a restaurant further up but I don't think it was a Chinese restaurant.

Although I passed it most days, I can't remember it's name.

Jen43

« Reply #369 on: December 28, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »
Thanks EastBelfastBabe. The Manor House it was. A great place to eat. Lots of memories of family birthday celebrations spent there. Moved away from the area now but glad to find the name as I've to let family know once I discovered the name.

eastbelfastbabe

« Reply #370 on: December 28, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
Glad I was able to help.

I was never in the restaurant but I used to get served takeaways at the back entrance :D

The staff were very friendly.

One in particular, Andrew fell in love with my 2 year old son.

When we had a party on 11th night, they always gave us food and drinks.

Some of them even gave us presents at Christmas.

Rangerover

Donegal Pass... Past and Present (video)
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2015, 07:26:48 PM »
Hello All,
Recently I've been looking at quite a few old photos of the Donegall Pass area and decided that I would try to put a little video/slideshow together.

So I sincerely hope that all of you who are from that area will aprove of my humble efforts.

What I found sad was the fact that there were so few photos available showing the old Donegall Pass as it was in its heyday.

I guess we only realise these things when its too late.  ENJOY

Here is the Youtube link  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgC_23AyV0&feature=youtu.be

SamG

« Reply #372 on: January 31, 2015, 02:05:19 PM »
Excellent Rangerover and pleased to see a couple in there from the 60's which I took.  When I think back to my 15 years working there I can only remember thinking how much developing and printing cost and this curtailed my exploits with a camera.  Now I just want to go back to that time and of course take my digital camera with me but that is just being greedy.
Thanks for jogging my memory.
Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

Rangerover

« Reply #373 on: January 31, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
Excellent Rangerover and pleased to see a couple in there from the 60's which I took.  When I think back to my 15 years working there I can only remember thinking how much developing and printing cost and this curtailed my exploits with a camera.  Now I just want to go back to that time and of course take my digital camera with me but that is just being greedy.
Thanks for jogging my memory.

Hello Sam,

I worked in the Pass for 13 years, so I knew the area well and had lots of fond memories  of the people and the area in general
Yes I know that feeling of wanting to go back in time with your digital camera... and yes the costs of printing of photos in those day was expensive.... plus a good camera cost an arm and a leg.

Its one of my deepest regrets that I did not take some photos of my old area of Sandy Row.... and before you realise it the wrecking ball has been in and cleared everything.

SamG

« Reply #374 on: January 31, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
Got an idea Rangerover, let's go back. I'll will make my way down the Lisburn Road as I did so many times and I will collect you at the top of Sandy Row.  We can call with a few old friends and take a bunch of photos of places and faces who we remember.  I'm sure they will still be around somewhere if we try hard enough. I'll buy you a fish supper before we leave for home again. Sound OK?
Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.