Author Topic: Donegal Pass  (Read 94369 times)

bittles

Re: Donegal Pass
« Reply #375 on: February 01, 2015, 08:07:29 AM »
Hi Sam G. Sorry for the absence but have had a heavy schedule over the winter months and now getting a break from the snow. Great to see that you might be able to get together with "Landrover" and visit the old neighborhood. I do look forward to seeing some photos.
I know that the intersection of Lindsay Street and Copeland Street are now gone but I have a feeling there might be just the slightest footprint of where the old shop once stood. If you know of anyone who might have some old photos (snap shots) of the old shop I would give my right arm just to see one. Sam !. I will try and catch up with you on e-mail in the near future. Take care.

Jackie Bittles. (Canada). Land of the Ice Road Truckers.

Dargan

« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »
If anyone knows whether David Murphy, who grew up in the area in the 1950s, is still alive and well, I'd be glad to know for I have lost contact with him over the last couple of years. He was living at Dunmurray the last I heard, on Seymour Hill. In the 1980s we often entered the antique shops where he would have played the piano, very competently, if one had been for sale. We now and again had a jar in the pub on the corner of Walnut Street (I think it was called). I also knew a lady called Nancy in Pakenham Street in the 1980s. She had a very rare illness which restricted the use of her face muscles. Any information about either of these people would be welcome. Regards.
Thanks for the play, Australia. Make it Radio Black Spot next time.

Rangerover

« Reply #377 on: February 01, 2015, 10:51:17 AM »
Got an idea Rangerover, let's go back. I'll will make my way down the Lisburn Road as I did so many times and I will collect you at the top of Sandy Row.  We can call with a few old friends and take a bunch of photos of places and faces who we remember.  I'm sure they will still be around somewhere if we try hard enough. I'll buy you a fish supper before we leave for home again. Sound OK?

Hi Sam,
I sent you a PM mate.... hope that you received it ?

SamG

« Reply #378 on: February 01, 2015, 12:26:32 PM »
Yes mate and I have replied.  Keep well. Sam.  :)
Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

SamG

« Reply #379 on: February 01, 2015, 06:30:51 PM »
Hi Sam G. Sorry for the absence but have had a heavy schedule over the winter months and now getting a break from the snow. Great to see that you might be able to get together with "Landrover" and visit the old neighborhood. I do look forward to seeing some photos.
I know that the intersection of Lindsay Street and Copeland Street are now gone but I have a feeling there might be just the slightest footprint of where the old shop once stood. If you know of anyone who might have some old photos (snap shots) of the old shop I would give my right arm just to see one. Sam !. I will try and catch up with you on e-mail in the near future. Take care.

Oh Jack, Rangerover and I were just dreaming.  Everything we remember has gone and we are simply lamenting spending money on girls instead of photo developing.  Just fading memories now and he is living too far away in location and time anyhow.
Good to hear from you though as I thought your keyboard had got jammed up with snow.  Believe me if I had any photos of "our" time you would be high on my list.
Check out the excellent montage posted by Rangerover.  I'm sure Debbie would appreciate it also.
Keep a stout shovel handy mate and look after yourself and Betty.
Kind regards
Sam.
Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

Rangerover

« Reply #380 on: February 02, 2015, 10:23:31 AM »

Hello Jackie,

I hope that someone, somewhere might have some photos of Lindsay Street and Copeland Street or the general area that you require, you just never know, perhaps someone might have some photos in a box that laying in a cupboard or whatever?

It seems a shame that such a vibrant area as Donegall Pass could just disappear without much more photgraphic memories being available.

But then I suppose you could say the same about many similar areas throughout Belfast.... its really a shame to lose so much history in what seems the blink onf an eye.

edrite

« Reply #381 on: March 13, 2015, 12:26:53 PM »
The Magdalene Church hall was where the 1st Boys Brigade  in Ireland was founded by Mr Mc Vicker.   It was linked to The ''Mary Magdalene '' Church
 is still in existence  & still has the name.    '' 1st Belfast B B ''  There are also still descendants of Mr Mc VICKER in business in Belfast City centre
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   edrite

Njohn2000

« Reply #382 on: July 27, 2015, 05:56:45 PM »
Hi all was wondering if u could help. I'm trying to trace Noel Armstrong he used to work at Ross's auctions in belfast, himself and his half brother Malcolm wright used to own wrights shoe shop and they later moved to pakenham street. When my grandfather passed away in 2001 he was really the only link to Noel. We have called to his address in recent and we have never been able to find him or even if he is still alive.  When we called afew years back We discovered from a neighbour that Malcolm had passed away.  If anyone know anything I would be very grateful. Thanks

Njohn2000

« Reply #383 on: July 30, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
Happy to report that we have found Noel Armstrong and have been in touch with him.  Thanks very much  :) :)

mollyritarooney

« Reply #384 on: May 13, 2019, 10:38:01 AM »
Hello does anyone know if Alec/Alex Scott was related/son of the Scott family butchers and are any of this family still in Belfast. Alec/Alex Scott knew my late Mother and Aunt Molly and Rita Rooney from Iveagh Street in 1948.

tomcollins

« Reply #385 on: May 25, 2019, 02:12:45 AM »
This is where I was born..Above the bricked up gable gateway..

This is Lake street in the course of being demolished.  Must have been in the 80's