Author Topic: Doormen and Doorwomen at Belfast Clubs.  (Read 37954 times)

Christopher

Doormen and Doorwomen at Belfast Clubs.
« on: January 27, 2007, 05:34:23 PM »
You're dressed in your best clothes and looking forward to a night out with your friends in one of many of the clubs in Belfast. Unfortunately many young people have found themselves in the position of being refused admission to some clubs in the city. When I say young I don't mean that they are underage. I mean young people who have a job and have money to spend. The matter was discussed on the Nolan Show the other morning and in this evening's Belfast Telegraph there's a letter from a person who found herself in this position.

Last Saturday was her friend's 24th Birthday so they decided to celebrate at the Box at the Odyssey. They queued for forty minutes prior to being herded off to one side. They were under the impression the female door staff wanted to check their IDs. They were not the only ones. When the doorperson (I can hardly call her a lady as I've never had the pleasure of meeting her and I'm not sure I would like to meet such a person) was asked what was happening she replied "You are not the type of people we want in this club".

The correspondent who wrote to the Tele understands that clubs do have the right to refuse admission but the members of her party were not drumk and disorderly and were young professionals or students. She felt that the doorstaff were operating a policy of age and size discrimination. She noticed the doorstaff allowed young slim scantily dressed eighteen year olds into the premises but not the ones who were sensibly dressed in warm winter coats. One unfortunate guy was shoved out of the queue for having the audacity to ask why he was not being allowed entry to the Box.

The correspondent quite rightly said "The Box should remember this is a club in Belfast and not Studio 54, Modiva or China White. I did not see any WAGs or footballers in the queue." 

I had to google these clubs and learnt the following ...

Studio 54 was a legendary New York City disco located at 254, West 54th Street in Manhattan. It opened on April 26, 1977 and closed in March 1986. The proprietor hedonistic Steve Rubell was known for hand selecting guests from the always huge crowds outside, mixing beautiful "nobodies" with glamorous celebrities in the same venue.

Mo'vida is a London nightclub which is strictly members and guests only. They are usually extremely well heeled people ... many are well known names and their photographs appear regularly in the media. China White falls into a similar category.

WAGs seem to be Wives and Girlfriends of well known footballers

acheux_rifleman

Re: Doormen and Doorwomen at Belfast Clubs.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 12:19:20 AM »
Yep Chris, seems to be a bit ridiculous. Where has the hospitality of the town gone? Used to be that anyone could drop by for a pint, a natter, moan and and bit of craic!!

I am glad to see the City progress forward, but seems to be at the cost of all the people who have 'kept it real' - not those who want to manufacture an image that not only tourists, but the vast majority of locals don't want??

WAG's I ask you.

Mind you, if you really do want to associate with those sorts of peer groups, you get what you ask for - take a look at those loud, ill-mannered, foul-mouthed, shapes of beings that are the 'celebrity' of Jade Goody and her cohorts???

Better off with a pint of black, some crips and a bit of banter, again, in my own 'umble opinion!!

Acheux.

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
Some doormen at a well known Belfast hostelry replied to someone who posted a review about the place.
The poster admitted he was prejudiced as he had been thrown out of the premises. I've not been thrown out of premises although on one occasion was refused a drink when I was stone cold sober, on another occasion I was refused admission to a club because I was wearing wellies (quite well dressed otherwise) ... that was in the days when I worked for a travelling circus and one St Patrick's Day I was refused a last drink just before closing time .. I'd had more than enough to sustain me at that stage anyway 8)

Here's the reply the doormen posted ...

Clint,

I'm sure there's good reason why we hassled you at the door, probably
because you were a ***, or acting like one. The door is tight, thats why
we don't get much trouble, which to most people is a benefit of a night out.

by: Fly door, 20 December 2006

Source: The WorldsBestBars.com

teap

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:09:06 PM »
Christopher what did you do at the circus?

colette.

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 07:31:31 PM »
Advance publicity, Colette. Painted the seating and ring boxes in the winter time. Helped pull down the Big Top when the show were leaving a ground.

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:36:38 PM »
I've just been reading about a person who visited a restaurant in Manchester for an evening out with a friend. They had a pleasant meal and then went across the road for a drink in a pub. This turned out to be a bad idea. A girl came over to their table and said to the friend of the person who posted the message .."What's your problem? Why have you been looking at me?" She then proceeded to punch her in the face. The writer rang the police and left her friend with the doorman for two minutes while she used the phone inside the pub to phone her huband to collect them. The doorman hadn't a clue. He allowed the girls to drag her friend on to the floor and have her head kicked a few times. Matters were made worse when the landlord overheard the woman on the phone saying the police were coming. He started to grapple the phone off her, slammed it down and chucked her out without her coat and cash, etc. He left the attackers inside the bar. Her friend reported the matter to the police but the bouncers are denying all knowledge of the incident.

This is vaguely similar to the bouncers at the Box at the Odyssey. Who the heck do these guys think they are that people should be treated in such a manner? I wonder whether all clubs and pubs actually do employ registered Door Supervisors. It's not a job for unskilled people. They should do a recognised course as well as being vetted by either the local council or the police. The council or police should check all establishments to check that registered Door Supervisors are being employed and if not they should be closed down until they comply with the law. There are Govermant based training courses which prospective candidates can attend to learn the basics of Door Supervision, which is then followed by the Council's exam. Perhaps they do not apply here ... if not then why not?

MAgeeka

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:43:41 AM »
In the US there are schools for bouncers, doormen etc and because of highi nsurance cost hotels are using these trained folk,  Incidentally what we need is for these trigger happy bouncers to have high cost insurance policies.  I remember going to a dance in the King George hall in Belfast and was appalled to see an ex- con from my Belfast road ,acting as a bouncer

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 07:50:21 AM »
Would they be called Security staff, M? If they are then they should be trained in Health & Safety, Fire Awareness, First Aid and Security. The ones I met at the Clarendon Dock last year when I attended the
Belfast Maritime Festival and Rockabilly Roots were efficient. I got the impression some were ex Army,
ex Police and ex Prison Officers.

TheShakyShamrock

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 03:26:16 AM »
This campaign, which is a partnership made up of many agencies promotes good practice in relation to doorman's training I think although I can't find it mentioned on the website:

http://www.shandwickdesign.com/belfast/gethomesafe/index.html
No man is an island...unless his name is Madagascar

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 03:51:52 AM »
The Box at the Odyssey is not the only Belfast bar to turn people away. I've been reading reviews about the Potthouse - Sugar Room, Hill Street where the same thing has been happening. A secondary school teacher, who had been in the premises before, was told at the door "regulars only" while a group behind her were admitted. She was horrified when she noticed that one of the girls in her Lower Sixth form class (underage) who appeared to have had a lot to drink was a member of the group that was admitted. Naturally the teacher and her friends turned away and went to a different club.

If anyone hears of other Belfast bars where this is happening please post on this thread.

TheShakyShamrock

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 04:16:28 AM »
I was turned away from the Northern Whig one night and was told it was because the bar was full.  I was meeting friends inside and eventually my mate negotiated with the door staff to let me in.  I was stone cold sober and while they kept me outside about 7 other people were allowed to go in.  I blame it on the furry boots I had on.

If I'm gonne be turned away I'd at least expect the doormen to say why rather than pan me off with some feeble excuse.
No man is an island...unless his name is Madagascar

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 04:31:06 AM »
I don't understand it. People are being insulted "You are not the type of people we want in this club", underage drinkers are allowed in and now you weren't allowed in because you were wearing furry boots. What's up with doorstaff and do the management of the places know what is happening?

Belfastard

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »
The Kremlin doormen/women as just as bad.

I remember when I first "came out", ready for my first offical night @ The Kremlin on my 18th Birthday and I was refused entry. Apparently it was "regulars only"? Considering a few of my friends were inside the venue, and that was their first time...

So, I enquired as to how to became a "regular" and the doorwomen replied: "You have to be gay (obviously) and known to me.". I was totally confused. How could I be known to her/get into The Kremlin, if I am a gay man looking to experience the gay scene in Belfast and I have very few gay friends who have not been to The Kremlin either, for the first time?

I enquired further and she also informed me that I could get into The Kremlin if I was with another regular. 2 guests per regular, apparently.

I could tell she was making this up as every question I asked, she was pausing and thinking of a suitable answer.

I ended up in Mynt and had a rubbish night.

???
"Remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people"

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 04:02:22 AM »
Regulars only ??? What a plonker. How can a person become a regular if they are turned away ???

Wendl

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 09:37:40 AM »
Regulars only ??? What a plonker. How can a person become a regular if they are turned away ???

If at first you don't succeed, try try again....
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu