Author Topic: Has anyone got school photos of Crumlin Road Convent  (Read 76212 times)

Geraldine

Has anyone got school photos of Crumlin Road Convent
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:14:23 PM »
I would be absolutely delighted if anyone out there has photos of anyone attending the Crumlin Road Convent school   
I was one of the last pupils to leave there and move on to BIGGER AND BETTER PLACES. LOL :) :)
I  moved to our new school  'Our Lady of mercy Secondary School"  Ballysillan , the very first pupils to move in with our "Star of the Sea' school.  Any photos from there?.
Is the school still there in Ballysillan?? :) ??? ???,
   Geraldine :)
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

tboy

Re: Has anyone got school photos of Crumlin Road Convent
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:40:38 PM »
geradine, did you know a gemma burns ? she was one of the first at ballysillan and later married a guy from heathfield. :)

Geraldine

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:53:55 AM »
 :) :)  Hi tboy,the name is familiar!
I was in Form 4 ,the last class, in those days and Gemma was probably in one of the other classes.
I cant recall a face to the name.
Where did she come from?
In my class we had a Geraldine Burns,though.
Who did she marry from Heathfield.
I will ask my sister and brother.Sometimes it just takes a wee thing to get the ball rolling and then lots of memories come flooding out! :) :)

Geraldine
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

Geraldine

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
  tboy, I meant which school did Gemma come from when she moved to Ballysillan.
We had girls from Star of the Sea and Crumlin Rd. Convent and a few from other areas.
                Geraldine

tboy

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »
i think gemma would have moved up from the recently built girls primary in the bone. i can't think of the heathfield lads name :) might have been 'lyttle'

Geraldine

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:05 AM »
 :)So far no photos have pitched up.
What about past pupils??
Are any of you out there?
Surely to God there must be at least one or two?? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  Geraldine

Geraldine

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:24:26 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  I DONT BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!! ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
   Geraldine

tboy

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:44:22 PM »
do you mean the one beside the mater hospital?

Geraldine

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »
  Yes tboy.  First there was the hospital, then the convent itself,then our old school and then the nurses home.
Do you know what is there now?
Thanks   Geraldine

tboy

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »
  Yes tboy.  First there was the hospital, then the convent itself,then our old school and then the nurses home.
Do you know what is there now?
Thanks   Geraldine
yes geraldine, the mater was transfered into a major general hospital and it swallowed up all around it , it must be said for the good. :)

pastybap

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 11:46:19 PM »
Hi Geraldine,
My mum Claire McLarnon went to the Mercy convent on the Crumlin Rd.  Also my aunt Patricia Bogue was one of the first ones into Or Lady of Mercy at Ballycillan in the 1960's.
No photos I'm afraid, but if you ever want a trip down memory lane go into Benedicts Bar at Bradbury Place, South Belfast. It is built out of the nuns old chapel from Crumlin Road Convent of Mercy!!  When the old convent was getting demolished about ten years ago, the interior design team involved in building Benedicts Hotel snapped up the fixtures and fittings for the downstairs bar.
You can see parts of the alter behind the bar and the arched doorways and windows inside.  :)
Catch yerself on! ;)

Geraldine

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »
 :) :) Hi there Pastybap, thank you very much for the info.
OMG, that's amazing about Benedict's bar.
 When I get to Belfast I will surely go there and see what you have desribed.
It's hard to take in, a convent chapel in a bar, LOL.  My old nuns would turn over in their graves.  LOL
It just goes to show you that we shouldn't take anything seriously. We are a long time dead and things change whether we like it or not!!!! :) :)
Geraldine

Geraldine

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 11:19:06 PM »
    PASTYBAP,I had actually sent tboy a post asking him if he knew if the convent itself was still standing and the post disappeared.
And I did not get around to it again and lo and behold you send me the info I needed, Thank you
  Geraldine

Geraldine

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 11:23:38 PM »
 Have you an approximate age for Claire and Patricia,  Pastybap?

just sixty

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
Hi Geraldine

I have a photo of a class I was in   I started the year it opened 1960 and came from crumlin road convent  My sister Anne went for her final year in 1960