Author Topic: Has anyone got school photos of Crumlin Road Convent  (Read 76773 times)

Rosiejoe

Re: Has anyone got school photos of Crumlin Road Convent
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »
Geraldine and I have been friends since around 1978.

What is your connection with her?

Marie

She was my best friend at school, St Monicas, and we've always kept in touch.  Worked with Luise (her sister in law who died recently) in Newsletter.  Couldn't make funeral I was on holiday.  Do you know Geraldine from Milk Marketing Board?  Small world isn't it - thought I recognised your pic.  Rosie

just sixty

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2009, 10:27:57 AM »
Marie
Great photo.  I only remember Lily Courtney.  Why was there so many girls in the photo and I noticed not in uniform?  How did you manage to put it on site as I have a photo for Geraldine you might also be interested in.

just sixty

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2009, 10:38:22 AM »
I remember Gemma Burns she went to school with us.  I met her recently and she is still a bubbly as ever.

mariedohertywallace

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »
The photo was taken the year after I had left, around 1962.  Sister Carmel wanted the "Old Girls" back for a get together and I remember that we were not happy with the term "Old Girls".  I think there are several classes in the photo as I don't remember many of them.
Marie from Glenbree

Geraldine

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 12:02:46 AM »
Marie
Great photo.  I only remember Lily Courtney.  Why was there so many girls in the photo and I noticed not in uniform?  How did you manage to put it on site as I have a photo for Geraldine you might also be interested in.
I also could only identify Lily Courtney.
Lily used to work in Hunters at the corner of Elmgrove and Cliftonville Road,
Is there any way I can Zoom the pic so as to see the girls up close.?
I must know more than one out of the whole lot.!!
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

just sixty

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »
Geraldine  the last time I saw Lily was a year or two ago and she was heading down to bingo at Yorkgate  Where does your son live in Glengormley?  I live at the zoo.

mariedohertywallace

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »
Geraldine - I have emailed you a copy of the pic directly to your email address.

Marie
Marie from Glenbree

Geraldine

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 09:57:21 PM »
Geraldine  the last time I saw Lily was a year or two ago and she was heading down to bingo at Yorkgate  Where does your son live in Glengormley?  I live at the zoo.

So it looks like she is still going strong then!!
Marian, GLenn lives in Harmin Crescent.Glengormley.
That's a nice area to live in near the Zoo.
I'm sure it has changed since I last was in Belfast in 1995.
  :)
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

Geraldine

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »
Geraldine - I have emailed you a copy of the pic directly to your email address.

Marie
Thanks very much Marie,
I got it and have been looking at it but what happens when I zoom it, all the faces blur.
I have a magnifying glass somewhere.  I will try that.
I remember you Marie .but would like to see all the faces clearly
Maybe some one of the restorers could give the photo a face lift!!!
Thanks Geraldine

Geraldine

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2009, 11:57:45 PM »
Marie, where did you live?
Are you still in Belfast?
I remember the road our school was in was called Ballysillan Road.
Am I mistaken?
Someone called it Bilston Road.

Geraldine

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 12:02:54 AM »
So it looks like she is still going strong then!!
Marian, GLenn lives in Harmin Crescent.Glengormley.
That's a nice area to live in near the Zoo.
I'm sure it has changed since I last was in Belfast in 1995.
  :)
Miriam,I called you Marian,sorry,my thoughts are all over the show!!

Geraldine

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2009, 12:06:32 AM »
The photo was taken the year after I had left, around 1962.  Sister Carmel wanted the "Old Girls" back for a get together and I remember that we were not happy with the term "Old Girls".  I think there are several classes in the photo as I don't remember many of them.
Marie,which schools did you go to before you went to BALLYSILLAN?

mariedohertywallace

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2009, 12:23:33 PM »
Hi Geraldine

Primary School at Greencastle.  I still have a photo taken when I was about 6.  Then went to Fortwilliam Kindergarden, then to Crumlin Rd primary about  1957 and stayed there until Ballysillan.  We went straight from Crumlin Road to Ballysillan and were the first pupils.
Marie from Glenbree

Geraldine

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2009, 09:08:55 PM »
Hi Geraldine

Primary School at Greencastle.  I still have a photo taken when I was about 6.  Then went to Fortwilliam Kindergarden, then to Crumlin Rd primary about  1957 and stayed there until Ballysillan.  We went straight from Crumlin Road to Ballysillan and were the first pupils.

From Crumlin Rd I went straight to Form 4A Ballysillan. Did you go to Form 3 or 4?
I notice you are 62 and I am 63.

just sixty

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2009, 12:03:33 AM »
Hi Geraldine
I live facing the Zoo.  We often have stray animals and have to phone the zoo but lately the animals are moved further up the mountain and we are not bothered as much.  Anne was surprised to hear we were in contact and sends you her best wishes.  Same for Marie.  You must have been all in the same class.  I didn't get married untill I was 40 and then had a lovely girl  when I was 42 and a son when I was 44.  They are a great blessing now.  My husband originally came from the  Shankill and is a keen fisherman.