Author Topic: St Catherine's Primary School - demolition - a few pictures  (Read 5949 times)

tomelty

Last week I noticed they were sadly demolishing St Catherines on the Falls and took a few photo's with my very low-res camera phone. I thought I might share them. This was my mum's old school and she cried when she saw them:

I went back the following day with a better camera but they'd covered the front of the building with a tarpaulin. I wonder if they saw me taking pics the day before. There really should have been a public protest against this act of vandalism.

charles w

Re: St Catherine's Primary School - demolition - a few pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »
This school had six sets of twins attending at the same time. 

Lucybella

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:46:41 PM »
Thanks for the photo's.  They bring back such memories to me.  I walked through that door for the first time with my late mother, and it brings it back to me so clearly.  I joined primary six, and the most wonderful teacher in the world, Sister Mary Majella.  There were twins in my class, Jean and Maura, (cannot remember their surname).
I left Belfast in the late 70's
Thanks again
Lucy

Roller skates

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 10:40:38 PM »
Hi Tomelty

I'm totally distressed at your photos, but thank you. This was my Primary School and the only time that I ever truely loved and enjoyed life.  I loved this School so much, especially Sister Barbara.  I will have to go down tomorrow, to really believe that the School is gone.  So grateful for the photos. B.
A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction!!

Lillikins

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:21:59 PM »
Tomelty, I noticed this in the past number of days also. I never attended St. Catherines but it is very sad to see yet another piece of our local history being demolished. What is the 'thinking' behind these decisions to remove these much loved buildings from the Road I wonder? It should never have been allowed. People seem to just sit back and watch as those in positions of 'power' regarding some of our local schools etc can make decisions and with the stroke of a pen they can practically rub out a part of our history!  :(
Thanks for posting the pics Tomelty.

deirdre

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 02:07:19 PM »
omg! my first school!  on my first day i remember crying and the nun sticking a sweet in my mouth....the wee play shop with the wooden bar of chocolate and singing ...do you know the muffin man.....lol.  :D ah well another wee part of my life gone :(

pj.s.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »
This was my first primary school and I loved it. I went there until the middle of P5 - two of the best teachers were Mrs Nugent and Mrs Ramsden. I can't remember the name of my P2 teacher but another favourite. Lillikens it was in the local paper a while ago that this would be happening. The nuns decided to demolish the school and build a new Convent as the one they are currently in is too big. Am really sad to see it go.

tomelty

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:53:14 PM »
Hello everyone, thanks for your replies. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to get any more photographs, the tarpaulin stayed up and the remainder was gone by the following Monday.

Lillikins, yes, I agree absolutely, there is a line to be drawn between regeneration and the preservation of our cultural heritage, but some recent and not so recent demolitions have demonstrated that those making the decisions do not take any form of our heritage into account. With regards to St Catherine's I really believe there should have been some form of public consultation because it was a school and held so many memories for so many people. Even if they had preserved the facade while knocking down the main part of the building it might have been something - in other cities across Europe these arrangements are made all the time.

Just a few weeks ago I noticed parts of Winetavern and Gresham street are now gone, the old pet shop demolished and gone. It's only a matter of time before they move across North street and begin knocking down those old buildings around the central library - those building are beautiful if you look closely but have been allowed to fall into disrepair.

There are also plans to demolish large parts of the Village - the authorities in Belfast have obviously learned none of the lessons from the demolition of the old Markets. We have tourists taking photographs of Joy St and Hamilton St - imagine the buzz if they had preserved Allums and the Gasworks and Belfast's epic alternative city centre - Cromac Square.

I'm always hoping a pressure group might spring up - the anti-demolition coalition.  :)

Roller skates

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
tomelty, I will sign on!  I hear, maybe incorrectly, that a lot of Lower North st.  is to be demolished?
Do you know if this is true?

Thanks RS
A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction!!

tomelty

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 05:17:10 PM »
tomelty, I will sign on!  I hear, maybe incorrectly, that a lot of Lower North st.  is to be demolished?
Do you know if this is true?

Thanks RS

Hi RS,

I'm haven't heard of anything definite but wouldn't be at all surprised. Lower Garfield Street appears ripe for redevelopment, however, as you know, that usually means pulling those buildings down rather than renovating and restoring them. Some restoration work done to Donegal St has turned out very well - it would be nice to see them take that very sensible approach. The mysterious fire in North St Arcade a few years back suggests to me they have different and very destructive ideas for North St.

There's a book called The Rape And Plunder of the Shankill by Ron Wiener which details exactly the kind of process which leads to the destruction of a city - chaos, confusion, back-handers, vested interests - it's all in there and is a very sad read if you can find a copy. I'd like to maybe produce a similar book on the destruction of the Markets/Lower Falls/Grosvenor Road area but it would really just be more of the same. Wiener's book could easily be kicked up an order of magnitude to city-wide.

I'll report back if I get any info.

floral

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the photo's.  They bring back such memories to me.  I walked through that door for the first time with my late mother, and it brings it back to me so clearly.  I joined primary six, and the most wonderful teacher in the world, Sister Mary Majella.  There were twins in my class, Jean and Maura, (cannot remember their surname).
I left Belfast in the late 70's
Thanks again
Lucy

I had second cousins Jean and Maura Nartin who lived at the time at the bottom of Springfield Rd.

floral

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »
I had second cousins Jean and Maura Martin who lived at the time at the bottom of Springfield Rd.

jj

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 01:28:04 AM »
sad to see this very good school go i remember being sent up reluctantly to collect me wee sis good memories  :)

Belle Fast

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 03:03:21 AM »
St Catherine's was such a lovely building both my nieces went to it. You just need to come to a place like Australia to see there is such a lack of old stone builings like this wee school.  :)

109er

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »
Sad to see. My 2 girls went there in the late 80s