Author Topic: Crumlin Road Gaol tours  (Read 2101 times)

karinl

Re: Crumlin Road Gaol tours
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 09:13:50 PM »
my friend and her mom took it and said it was factually incorrect at times and all the cells had been stripped and painted to look the same therefore taking away the history it was famous for and talking about the suffragettes...on the whole the tour needs reconstructed

pajamo46

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 09:54:23 AM »
my friend and her mom took it and said it was factually incorrect at times and all the cells had been stripped and painted to look the same therefore taking away the history it was famous for and talking about the suffragettes...on the whole the tour needs reconstructed
I remember it from 1961, when I worked at Stewarts on the crumlin road as a messenger boy, the store manager took me to help deliver the christmas groceries, and from the little I saw ,would definately not want to pay for a tour, or even take a free one....horrible place.

justluvbeingme

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
I WOULDNT MIND GOIN TO JAIL, FROM WHAT I HEAR YOU HAVE A BRILLIANT TIME, FOOD SERVED, NO BILLS TO PAY, NO TV LICENCE, YOU CAN EVEN COME OUT WITH A DEGREE,
JUS,

ArdoynePaul

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »
 :)It's not the first time it's been open. I remember in the 70s when it was open a couple of times though not intended! There were rumours that the warden had sent round notes asking the inmates if they were staying for Christmas!

Lillikins

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 11:59:18 PM »
I went on this tour recently myself and some friends. It was fascinating, interesting, sad and creepy - all rolled into one! I heard so much about it over the years but it wasn't until I went on the tour that I heard so much more chilling things. I would highly recommend this to anyone who has an interest in the history of Belfast. You are allowed to take still photos but NO camcorders are allowed.
There is NO comparison between Crumlin Rd Jail and the so-called holiday camps that people serve their sentences in today.