Author Topic: Hugh Whiteside WW1  (Read 3271 times)

Chicago

Hugh Whiteside WW1
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »
Does anyone out there know during WW1 did you have to be a Canadian to serve in its army.

Also can anyone help me find a Hugh Whiteside (WW1 Casualty) in the Canadian Army.

- Thank you,
   Jen
We must all hang together, else we shall all hang separately....BENJAMIN FRANKELIN

gingercat

Re: Hugh Whiteside WW1
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »
Hi Chicago

Could this be him?

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2850035

if not, there are other h. whitesides there, check them out.

Ginger

Chicago

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:07:22 PM »
Thanks for your help GC that could be him.

However I am still wondering why he was in the Canadian army.

- Jen
We must all hang together, else we shall all hang separately....BENJAMIN FRANKELIN

gingercat

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »
Hi Chicago

Could be that he emigrated- my grandmother's aunt Nellie did the same thing in 1908- she went over to Vancouver and stayed there for good, while the rest of the family stayed in Belfast. I think Ancestry have immigration records for Canada.

Ginger

Wendl

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:13:23 PM »
hi there....

try this site you can search for people from WW1 in Canada...if you find your party you can then order their records.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php

hope this helps

When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

palmal

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:21:51 PM »
Chicago,
              There are 3 H. Whitesides who died in WW1 only one of them was in the Canadian Army
WHITESIDE .H.    Rank Driver    No747
Date of Death 30th October 1917    Age Unknowm     Natonality Canadian
Regiment    Canadian Field Artillery

Palmal

Same CWGC site  as the lady mentioned previous ,WW1 and not WW11

Wendl

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:34:58 PM »
1. WHITESIDE, HUGH 07/06/1888   747 RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 10317 - 46

the above is from the Canada collections site...looks to be the same fellow as the CWGC...

Chicago....if this is your fellow, definitely send for the attestation file....they have lots of interesting information in them   I sent for my grt grandfather's a couple years ago, cost about $25 canadian. (the website link will explain how to order)

all the best
Wendy
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

palmal

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »
Wendl,
           Very good site.I found if you double click on the name the Attestation Papers appear
Evidently Fred Kelly is alias Hugh Whiteside his mother is Eliza Whiteside from Ireland

Palmal

Wendl

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 08:56:44 PM »
Hi Palmal....

I know...it's great the amount of info you get for free....the actual file is amazing, with my own grt grandfather James Thompson, he immigrated from Londonderry/Derry in 1913 enlisted in 1915.  Hopefully this will be the fellow Chicago is looking for. .and will help in her search...

All the Best
Wendy
Lao-Tzu

Chicago

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:55:25 PM »
Palmal/Wendl.....You found him, yes his mother was Eliza Jane Whiteside, my Great Grandmother.

Thank you both

-Jen

Wendl

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 11:43:47 PM »
Jen....

If you check findmypast.com....looks like your Hugh immigrated to Canada in 1912...that would explain why he was in the Canadian forces...departed Belfast and landed in Montreal....it's a pay site, but not that expensive...will tell you the ship and the dates he immigrated.....unfortunately I don't have a membership to it.....just did the free look up...

All the best
Wendy

Lao-Tzu

Chicago

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 03:12:07 AM »

Wendy,

I will certainly look up the site you suggested. I am very grateful to you for finding Hugh. You did it so quickly.  Once again thank you. - Jen

palmal

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 08:55:42 AM »
Chicago,
               Are your Whitesides at 18 Daisyfield St on the 1901 census and 35 Ballymoney St on the 1911 census ?
Hugh would be the son of Hugh Whiteside and Eliza Ann Wilkinson ?

Regards

Palmal

palmal

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »
Chicago,
            Sorry, My mistake I see I have the name wrong Eliza Jane and Eliza Ann

Palmal

Chicago

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
the son of Hugh Whiteside and Eliza Ann Wilkinson

Hi Palmal,

Thank you for going a step farther.

Hugh was the son of William Gilbert Whiteside and Eliza Jane Bailie (sp).
By 1904 Eliza Jane had remarried to a Frank Neil. Assume William was dead.

I now have an interesting question....why would Hugh have an alias any thoughts?

-Jen