Author Topic: New Zealand Calling  (Read 83774 times)

Jack Casement

Re: New Zealand Calling
« Reply #495 on: February 23, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »
In February 2011 my wife and I were about to celebrate our Golden Wedding anniversary, and we wanted to do something special.  As time was marching on, we took the bull by the horns and went to New Zealand for a month.  Now over the past 50 years or so,we have visited most countries in the world and been impressed.  But we both agree that if we were to re-visit anywhere again it would be New Zealand (if it just wasn't so bloody far).  We fell in love with the place and came home with so many lovely memories.  Sadly, a few months later we were heartbroken when we heard about the earthquake that destroyed Christchurch.  A beautiful city flattened.  And there was an extra sadness for me.  Every country I go to, I always make a point of going to the sports grounds that I have only seen on television.  In Christchurch it was the AMI stadium (don't know if it is still called that) where the next Rugby World Cup was to be played in a few months.  They were so proud of it and even provided me with a personal guide to explain the history.  Afterwards when I saw what the quake had done to it I could have cried.  I know they did their best to repair it, hopefully in time for the World Cup.  Unfortunately the damage was so severe it wasn't possible.  Christchurch will always have a place in my heart.

don blair

« Reply #496 on: February 24, 2016, 01:25:09 AM »
Hi Jack, certainly agree with you on N.Z. being one of the most beautiful countries in the world. But as you said, "just too far away from the U.K.  We moved to Toronto, Canada, flat as a pancake but a good city for work and a 6 hour flight to the U.K.  Still miss those friendly Kiwis and Wellington Harbour is just a picture from the surrounding hills.
Take care,  Don.
DGB

sj

« Reply #497 on: February 24, 2016, 03:55:13 AM »

Jack it is a sad story indeed.
[size=78%]Personally there are few places to beat the Queensland Wet Tropics.   It is so lush with many rainforests and exotic birds , plants, and crocodiles and fantastic snakes.  It is completely different and rarely cold.  Winter lasts for about two weeks when the highest temperature wouls be about 25c.  If the heat and Summer humidity gets too much then a trip for the day to the mountains is a treat but you become aclimatised after a bit.  The history of the place is very diverse and the people are very down to earth and it is about 8 hours to Asia for an exotic holiday.[/size] ;)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

brianmckeever

« Reply #498 on: March 17, 2016, 03:32:02 AM »
I've just been into town with my 19 years old grandson in an attempt to celebrate St Pat's day.
We ordered two pints of Guinness at the only bar in town which serves the stuff.
The grandson was asked for ID and without it we were refused service.
Fair enough, because 5 premises in the town were caught in a police sting last month, serving alcohol to minors.
Maybe I'll sneak out by myself later tonight.

McNamee

« Reply #499 on: March 17, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »
Bet you are mad they didn't ask you Brian.  ;) ;)

sj

« Reply #500 on: March 17, 2016, 10:26:16 AM »
 He did wish :D  Happy St Patrick's Day to you both

RosieG

« Reply #501 on: March 17, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »
My son has lived in New Zealand for the past eleven years. I went to visit him twice, once for his wedding and then to see the new granddaughter! It is a great country, but the journey is so long! Like one of the other members of the forum, I was so sad about Christchurch and the earthquake. We had been there and the cathedral was just beautiful but completely destroyed. It was heartbreaking to see it on the television. The scenery in the South Island is awesome! Love to go back but a bit too long a journey!!

sj

« Reply #502 on: March 18, 2016, 01:21:58 AM »
 Rosie,

The journey from the Southern hemisphere is very long and sometimes people in Ireland don't appreciate that it is a long journey.   I have never been to N.Z. but hopefully I will fix that nex year :)

don blair

« Reply #503 on: March 19, 2016, 12:23:29 AM »
Good idea S.J. that visit to N.Z., you are going to find one beautiful country and wonderful friendly people who make a stranger feel at home. 
Don B.
DGB

sj

« Reply #504 on: March 19, 2016, 03:23:48 AM »
 Thanks Don. .when is your home free??? :D

don blair

« Reply #505 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:09 AM »
Hi S.J. my home is Toronto, a good working city but can't match the beauty of Wellington N.Z., which used to be home.
Don.
DGB

sj

« Reply #506 on: March 20, 2016, 08:00:07 AM »
 Don that is an amazing chamge. .I have been to Oshawa near Toronto.   The main highway from Oshawa to Toronto airport was nose to tail at 6.00 am and was full of trucks?   I would prefer N.Z. :D

RosieG

« Reply #507 on: March 20, 2016, 07:18:24 PM »
Don, my son lives in Wellington - Lower Hutt then Newlands. Lovely city. He was married in Featherstone and we visited a little town nearby - Arrowtown - very quaint. We stayed in Rotarua on the way down from Auckland. Beautiful scenery all around. The South Island is beautiful, the glaciers and Dunedin but Christchurch sticks with me - pity the earthquake destroyed it, especially the Cathedral.

don blair

« Reply #508 on: March 21, 2016, 12:24:33 AM »
Yeah S.J. you are right about the main HWY 401 through Toronto, according to the specs the HWY401 through Toronto and the LA Freeway through L.A. are the two busiest highways in the world, both handling over 4 million vehicles per day, a to be back on the Hwy from Wellington to Lower Hut once again. though no doubt it would also have increased in volume since I lived there.

DGB

don blair

« Reply #509 on: March 21, 2016, 12:42:03 AM »
Yeah Rosie, you have said it all about N.Z. one beautiful country and wonderful friendly people the Kiwies , but just a little too far away from the U.K.  Toronto is just a 6 hour flight to the U.K. and we do still have most of our relatives there.
 You take care.
  Don.
DGB