Author Topic: New Zealand Calling  (Read 78544 times)

Helens Bay

Re: New Zealand Calling
« Reply #195 on: August 26, 2010, 02:55:31 AM »
connolly,
How are you?I have just been talking to Bobby Gillespie for the past hour and we had a great old catch up.
He has been trying to get hold of you but hasn`t got your phone no and he is no longer on the computer.
Send me a personal message with the number and I will ring him with it.
Brian

kraftcheese

« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »
Hi guys!  I believe you had an earthquake today in Christchurch.  We heard you all the way here in Australia:-

"Shut - what was thet?"    :D

Just joking - hope you're all OK!  All the best.   :air_kiss:
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

sj

« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2010, 10:57:12 PM »
Hello Greyghost. .hope that everyone is well in N.Z.   aRE YOU bARNEY'S BROTHER....MUST RING YOU ON SKYPE.  The t.v. coverage coming from N.Z. doesn't look good. ;)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

greyghost

« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2010, 11:52:22 PM »
Thanks, we are all fine, we live 3 hours south of Christchurch, the quake hit at 4.30am the house shook like hell for about 1.5 minutes but Oamaru has had no damage. My dogs slept through it. Some of our friends and family in Christchurch have had minor damage photographs, vases, plates and ornaments, one friend her German Shepherd paniced and ran out into the road and was killed.
It has been a big wake up call to all of us, we are all used to small quakes  4 or 5's but this one was a surprise.
It will take many families and businesses a long time to recover but thank God no one died as a result of the quake.
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

Darcy5799

« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
Hope all our neighbours in New Zealand are safe and well  :air_kiss:

kraftcheese

« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2010, 02:01:16 AM »
Hi Greyghost, glad to hear you're fine and that no one was killed.  When I heard about the quake, I immediately thought of you.  It certainly gives you a fright.  We get smaller ones here too and it's a strange sensation.  That big one would have been very scary.  Take care.  KC  :air_kiss:

mcd

« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2010, 02:50:58 AM »
Just popped in to see how everyone is, glad you made it through the quake Greyghost sad news about your friends pet   we have been watching the TV coverage here amazing there was no loss of life  wish you all  Good Luck and Stay Safe    :air_kiss:
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

greyghost

« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2010, 03:24:11 AM »
Aftershocks are coming thick and fast, there have been over 100 so far in the region of 4.5 - 5.4. The weather is starting to close in and they are expecting heavy rain in the next couple of days. Last night we had very high coastal winds up to 120kms. Nerve racking for those in Christchurch and surrounds.
Shock is starting to set in with many people, lost power and water supplies are a difficulty for others. Today there have been cases of gastro. Hundreds of pets have gone missing. The CBD of Christchurch is still cordoned off and a curfew is in place. It will be many days before people can return to work in the city. Supermarkets today have their staff cleaning up the mess in the shopping isles.

I will post some photographs later.
www.odos-photos.com

kraftcheese

« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
Hi there.  Was just thinking that it was very lucky the quake happened on the weekend or there could have been loss of life, looking at the damage to the CBD.  Take care.  :air_kiss:

brianmckeever

« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
Spring has really come upon us here in Hawkes Bay.
The plum tree is blossoming, the navel oranges and mandarins have sweetened over Winter and are ready to pick. The magnolia tree is in full bloom as are the camelias and fresias. The daffodils still linger having been out for a few weeks. There might still be a frost or two before the end of the month so the tomato shoots might need covering. Maybe I'll dig in a few spuds tomorrow for Christmas.
It's 2 am and I've just been able to wander outside in boxer shorts for a smoke.

greyghost

« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2010, 01:16:56 AM »
Well Christchurch is still shaking, another aftershock of 5.1 this morning. Damage cost are mounting $2billion estimated at the moment.
Checkout. http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/emergency-extended-canterbury-rocked-3765524/photos
Or www.tvnz.co.nz or www.stuff.co.nz both sites have extensive coverage.
I feel so sorry for my friends and family living in Christchurch and Kaiapoi. My prayers and thoughts are with them.
www.odos-photos.com

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2010, 02:41:43 AM »
We have been getting a good bit of the coverage here in Canada, I still can not believe the damage but I thank goodness the number of people killed or hurt is very low. Another 5.1, thats very high on the scale for an aftershock.
Hope that this is the end of it and you all can start the re-build and people can start to put things back to some sort of normal.  Keep your chin up.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

kraftcheese

« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2010, 02:43:38 AM »
Hi Greyghost.  Thanks for posting these links.  I've had a look through all the articles and photos.  It's a total disaster.  All those poor animals, and they don't know what's happening.  I hope your friends and family haven't suffered big losses or severe damage.  Keep us posted.  We got good coverage of the quake on Sunday & Monday, but since then we've only been getting short items on our news bulletins about NZ, because the political situation here, plus our floods, have been dominating our news bulletins.  All the best.  KC  :(

sj

« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2010, 04:00:32 AM »
I have friends arriving in N.Z for a two week cruise.  I heard this morning that the Lion Nathan brewery in Christchurch survived the earthquake however a lot of beer in their warehouse was smashed so can one assume that there will be a beer shortage.  This is something that I would not have expected or experienced.  I have experienced the happenings in an eartquake, no water , electricity and as a consequence no banking at the A.T.M. or fuel for the car but no beer. ;) .
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

mcd

« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »
Well Christchurch is still shaking, another aftershock of 5.1 this morning. Damage cost are mounting $2billion estimated at the moment.
Checkout. http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/emergency-extended-canterbury-rocked-3765524/photos
Or www.tvnz.co.nz or www.stuff.co.nz both sites have extensive coverage.
I feel so sorry for my friends and family living in Christchurch and Kaiapoi. My prayers and thoughts are with them.
    Hi Greyghost  Just had a look at both photo sites unbelievable the damage that was done  I wish the folks in the affected areas, Good Luck and God Speed getting back to normal which i am sure wont be for quite awhile by the looks of the photos  My thoughts and prayers are with them also   Take Care
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak