Author Topic: Greencastle and its surrounding area.  (Read 175640 times)

ClareKane95

Re: Greencastle and its surrounding area.
« Reply #870 on: January 03, 2018, 03:16:56 PM »
Great photos did the McCormicks live on the Mill Road -  I remember if correctly calling to visit them when I was younger = does Nellie live in Glengormley now??

Hi, my great-grandparents Vincent McCormick and Mary McCormick (nee Magill) lived on the Mill Road if that is who you are remembering. They had twins called Francis and Vincent, and then Mary (My granny), Annie, and James McCormick.  I think Nellie married Vincent's nephew, also called Vincent (son of Francis Mccormick if I am right). My mum says that Marnie McCormick was somehow related to my granny but I'm not sure how. I thought perhaps she was Vincent McCormick (the elder)'s sister but I can't find a birth record of a Marnie McCormick that is the daughter of Margaret Quinn and James Mccormick :S I'm so confused!
Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us. ~ Oscar Wilde

niall76

« Reply #871 on: January 05, 2018, 09:06:10 AM »
mum was just saying about  white abbey hospital kitchen staff reunion , and she mentioned Josie from Dandy Street, now i dont know if Josie still lives there my mum is 94 and thinks everyone is still were they used to live,lol
Hello!
Dandy Street has been gone for a long time now. The Belfast side of it is waste-ground while the Carrick side is an enclosed football pitch. The residents were moving out in 1986. My Ga and Granda, Maimie and Jack Hyland, lived in number seven - they came out here to Perth, Western Australia as did my great-aunt (Maimie's sister) Theresa Strong and my great-uncle Bobby Strong and my uncle and aunt, Mickey and Dolores McAleese, who all also lived on Dandy Street.

niall76

« Reply #872 on: January 05, 2018, 09:12:10 AM »
Sorry, a bit too big.
the woman in the middle, white coat and glasses, is the only one I know,
Mrs Conn, married to Henry, late of Bawnmore Park.
The photo was taken in St. Marys nursery school.
There windowes faced the side of St. Marys Church when it was in the revamped Lido.

m.
I remember Mrs Conn standing at her gate at the end of her path calling her grandson Liam. She lived next door to my Granny Gilmore (she was actually my great-grandmother Sarah Gilmore nee Devlin). Five year-old me was scared of Mrs Conn. 41 year-old me is looking at the sweet old lady in the picture and wondering why.

macroyal

« Reply #873 on: January 05, 2018, 10:42:31 AM »
Cheers Niall, when i have been home which is not very often, things have changed so much i see things that are new and forget to think what was there before, its not until you point it out that i think oh yea, i seem to recall that was opened area,  i see the old pictures and street plans that others post, and like my Mum, in my mind, everything is still as i remember it in my youth. i do so little now days i seem to live with the happy memories of childhood, i suppose we all cling on to the past and see it through rose tinted glasses

niall76

« Reply #874 on: January 05, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
Definitely, I've been back a lot over the last 10 years including four times in the last 20 months. As stupid as this sounds, it's taken a long time for me to accept that it will never feel the same as the Bawnmore/Dandy Street in the period 1976-1982 - the first six years of my life and a REALLY happy time for me.
When I stopped searching for that and just reminded myself to enjoy the memories, I felt a lot better.

roycraw.

« Reply #875 on: February 18, 2018, 07:28:59 AM »
Hi, my great-grandparents Vincent McCormick and Mary McCormick (nee Magill) lived on the Mill Road if that is who you are remembering. They had twins called Francis and Vincent, and then Mary (My granny), Annie, and James McCormick.  I think Nellie married Vincent's nephew, also called Vincent (son of Francis Mccormick if I am right). My mum says that Marnie McCormick was somehow related to my granny but I'm not sure how. I thought perhaps she was Vincent McCormick (the elder)'s sister but I can't find a birth record of a Marnie McCormick that is the daughter of Margaret Quinn and James Mccormick :S I'm so confused!
    hi there clarekane95,   would you by any chance be of the kane family who lived up near the boundry bar  in that row of houses that i think was called plantion row.   cheers,   roy   c.

ClareKane95

« Reply #876 on: February 19, 2018, 07:48:35 PM »
    hi there clarekane95,   would you by any chance be of the kane family who lived up near the boundry bar  in that row of houses that i think was called plantion row.   cheers,   roy   c.

Hi Roy, no sorry, not of that Kane family  :)
Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us. ~ Oscar Wilde

roycraw.

« Reply #877 on: February 20, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »
Hi Roy, no sorry, not of that Kane family  :)
   hi clare,   thats ok great to hear from you anyway,  cheers,   roy c.

Alicewatson

« Reply #878 on: March 14, 2018, 05:24:25 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone have any more photo's of the Shore Road area? I used to queue for the bus (going towards Belfast) outside Herbert Stewart's builder's yard (near the bottom of Gray's Lane at the playing fields) and there was a row of tiny cottages beside the bus-stop you could reach up and touch the rooves of. I used to think they were really pretty. I'd love to see them again if anyone has any pictures of them. But I'd be interested to see any of the Shore Road area. Thanks. Oh, does anyone remember an old, detached house on the land where that huge church is at Shore Crescent?

Alicewatson

« Reply #879 on: March 14, 2018, 05:26:13 PM »
I am sorry trying to work this sending messages

Alicewatson

« Reply #880 on: March 14, 2018, 06:33:01 PM »
My mother lived in the little homes where you could touch the roof

Natalie_doc_xo

« Reply #881 on: September 18, 2018, 12:40:15 AM »
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me..
My grandad William (Liam) Doherty played for Wolfe tones gaa club.
 He passed away 2 weeks ago and i was wondering if anyone had any old photos of him or his club.
He would have played in the 50/60ís. He was originally from Longlands he moved to the Lower White-Well were he remanded on till his death.
Or of anyone has any information on him that wouls be great thank you

Natalie_doc_xo

« Reply #882 on: September 18, 2018, 02:26:05 AM »
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me..
My grandad William (Liam) Doherty played for Wolfe tones gaa club.
 He passed away 2 weeks ago and i was wondering if anyone had any old photos of him or his club.
He would have played in the 50/60ís. He was originally from Longlands he moved to the Lower White-Well were he remanded on till his death.
Or of anyone has any information on

cabbagepat

« Reply #883 on: September 19, 2018, 10:44:02 AM »
There is a (blurry!) picture of the Tones gaelic football team  on this page of the forum taken from the Tram Cars & Jam Jars book. Liam Doherty is shown.

I played for them once when they were short.

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,21604.225.html

It's on page 16 of the Tram Cars & Jam Jars thread posted by "M"

Natalie_doc_xo

« Reply #884 on: September 23, 2018, 03:23:15 AM »
So sorry for the late reply i cant find the photo of him so i cant.. iíll have another look again.

You did, did u enjoy playing dor them my grandad played for a while so he did i think 3 years