Author Topic: QFT cinema rocks!!!!  (Read 5698 times)

DJ

QFT cinema rocks!!!!
« on: February 03, 2007, 01:19:44 AM »
Have recently frequented the coolest little cinema in Belfast, QFT. It's an absolute gem and has a bar too. Nice atmosphere, cool vibes on the stereo before a cool movie. Moviehouse my ass!!!!!!

pentio

Re: QFT cinema rocks!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:29:35 AM »
What time does the QFT open  ..

Seany

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:25:50 AM »
Yeah mate QFT is ultra funky cool. It has early evening screenings at 6pm and then usually movies at 8 or 9. It has late nighters at the weekends. See usual press ads for their listings. Also see www.queensfilmtheatre.com for full movie info.
What I like about it is the people who who go there. Cool with a capital C. I'm a movie buff so am in good company at QFT. Beats moviehouse and Odessey hands down for funkyness - no bubblegum cinema for me mate!
If you havent been to QFT its at 20 University Square beside QUB, it gets good crowds so get there early!

Seany

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 12:16:43 PM »
I have added a poll so we can see what all the forum members think!
For movies, ambiance and their cool wee movie guide it's QFT all the way for me but lets see what all the dudes think.
Over and out

giannineo

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:11:36 PM »
Seany,the last time I was in the QFT was forty years ago and saw the Saragossa Manuscripts in black and white.It was a great wee film theatre then too.

Seany

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 11:01:18 PM »
Mate, they have just re-opened the new 2 screen cinema, the entrance is now at the front and not up the back alley where it used to be. You gotta check it out. They have fantastic movies too.

giannineo

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 11:18:14 PM »
Cheers Seany,you never know,one time when I am 'home' I would love to check out such places.A week home  by myslef would give me time to see old haunts  such as the Botanic Gardens and the Botanic Inn, the wee lanes between High Street and Ann Street and so much more.
     Thanks for your reply,G.

Bogeyman

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 02:45:28 PM »
I first went to the QFT 39 years ago in 1968 when it opened. Over the following years it showed many films we would never have had the chance to see in Belfast in days before the communication revolution. Showing controversial films at time but mostly catering for the offbeat and obscure types it had a growing customer base many of whom like myself still go along when something catches the interest..The QFT is a cinema we should all be proud to have in our city.
If it was'nt for venetian blinds it would be curtains for everybody!

giannineo

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 03:06:47 PM »
Bogey, that was about the time I would go.People said,"what you want to go there for,they show wierd stuff"... I thought that these people didn't know whst they were missing..As you say,there were films we would otherwise not have seen,and it was cheap too.Great spot,and glad to hear it is flourishing.

giannineo

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
Saturday 8th.,February 1969.....went to Club Bar and then to QFT for the Saragossa Manuscripts.It was snowing.Knew I had it in a diary somewhere.

Bogeyman

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »
Saturday 8th.,February 1969.....went to Club Bar and then to QFT for the Saragossa Manuscripts.It was snowing.Knew I had it in a diary somewhere.

Ah yes, the old Club bar. Tried to reinvent itself a few times since being blown up in the seventies.  Was handy for a pint then a dander down  Mount Charles toward the QFT. I used it a lot when I worked in Queens in the seventies.

giannineo

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 06:13:21 PM »
Bogey,the Club Bar was one of the in places in the late sixties.I knew a guy who was badly injured in the bomb blast.
         Entry near Club Bar for a quarter bottle of Bush,then into the Club for a couple of pints,then to Queen's Union for the 'hop' or Fountainville Avenue for a bop.Baked potato in the Hobbit and then home on the 'last bus show' to the Ormeau Road( aye,'last bus show',everybody knew everybody and the craic was great)....a grand night out.The Club Bar would be heaving and you would need to get there before seven to get a seat.

Bogeyman

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 06:26:47 PM »
Bogey,the Club Bar was one of the in places in the late sixties.I knew a guy who was badly injured in the bomb blast.

I lost a friend , Davey Robinson in that blast. He was up from Larne to visit a friend that day. Such a waste. The place was never the same since.

Seany

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »
Nice to read your comments lads! I was only a twinkle in my Dads eye at that time but yeah QFT really is a gem. It is doing better than ever at the moment. Yeah you still get comments like - sure QFT only shows mad movies for obscure tastes. That's a myth but it doesnt follow the bubblegum agenda that the big tacky multiplexes do and long may that continue.

SEE THE FOLLOWING POST - VOST FOR THE COOLEST CINEMA IN BELFAST!  8)

Seany

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 06:42:06 PM »
Nice to read your comments lads! I was only a twinkle in my Dads eye at that time but yeah QFT really is a gem. It is doing better than ever at the moment. Yeah you still get comments like - sure QFT only shows mad movies for obscure tastes. That's a myth but it doesnt follow the bubblegum agenda that the big tacky multiplexes do and long may that continue.

SEE THE FOLLOWING POST - VOTE FOR THE COOLEST CINEMA IN BELFAST!  8)