Author Topic: O'Connor school of Irish Dancing  (Read 6686 times)

Darcy5799

O'Connor school of Irish Dancing
« on: July 04, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »
Hi

Did any forum members attend the above school of dancing it was based in Rosemary St.

lilybo

Re: O'Connor school of Irish Dancing
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:51:27 PM »
yes, was at a dancing lesson the night JFK was assinated !!
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.

floral

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:26:57 PM »
Hi

Did any forum members attend the above school of dancing it was based in Rosemary St.

Hi did not attend O Connors but went to Johnstons. Do you recall Maureen Hall, June Betts my mind has gone blank sorry.

Darcy5799

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:15:35 PM »
Hi

No sorry can't recall the names ,only remember my dancing partner was called Kenneth Hughes :-* I think he was from East Belfast , we used to dance inSt Marys Hall in Bank Street for the competitions

floral

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
Hi

No sorry can't recall the names ,only remember my dancing partner was called Kenneth Hughes :-* I think he was from East Belfast , we used to dance inSt Marys Hall in Bank Street for the competitions

As I said my mind has gone blank but I knew quite a lot of folk that went to O Connors. I also danced in the competitions in St. Marys Hall in Bank Street.  O Connors costume was blue and cream am I correct!

irish dance

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:14:15 AM »
Hi did not attend O Connors but went to Johnstons. Do you recall Maureen Hall, June Betts my mind has gone blank sorry.
Although I danced for McAleer's, I remember Maureen Hall very well.  The O'Connor's taught in Carrickfergus where June Betts comes from, she and her daughter are teaching Irish Dancing in Carrick for the Festival Dancing Group.  Do you remember John McMurray and brothers Martin and Jim Sterling who danced for O'Connor's, all from Carrickfergus.

floral

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »
Although I danced for McAleer's, I remember Maureen Hall very well.  The O'Connor's taught in Carrickfergus where June Betts comes from, she and her daughter are teaching Irish Dancing in Carrick for the Festival Dancing Group.  Do you remember John McMurray and brothers Martin and Jim Sterling who danced for O'Connor's, all from Carrickfergus.

I cannot think of John McMurry and the Sterling brothers - used to see June Betts quite regularly as we went to adult classes which were Festival Dancing and we took part in adult competitions at the same venues. Have not seen Maureen for about 20 years or more. I am trying to rack my brain but I cannot at the moment recall any more who went to O Connors it will hopefully come to me.

irish dance

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:56:12 AM »
I cannot think of John McMurry and the Sterling brothers - used to see June Betts quite regularly as we went to adult classes which were Festival Dancing and we took part in adult competitions at the same venues. Have not seen Maureen for about 20 years or more. I am trying to rack my brain but I cannot at the moment recall any more who went to O Connors it will hopefully come to me.
Good Morning Floral - Like you my grey matter is not working very well at the moment, must get my sister, who also danced, if she can remember more than we can.  Check the Ceili Club thread, I put some names on there that you may remember from Maureen Kearneys school on the Whitewell Road.

floral

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »
Good Morning Floral - Like you my grey matter is not working very well at the moment, must get my sister, who also danced, if she can remember more than we can.  Check the Ceili Club thread, I put some names on there that you may remember from Maureen Kearneys school on the Whitewell Road.

Will do that thank you

irish dance

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 11:44:28 PM »
Remember Lila McCourt and her Mother,  Bridget O'Hagan and John Johnston but not the Kerr sisters.  Do you know Alice Cooke, one of the Murphy's is married to her brother, Alice lived near me in Limerick for 30 years but is now back in Belfast.  Like yourself I have not seen or heard of Maureen Sheilds for years. 

floral

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »
Remember Lila McCourt and her Mother,  Bridget O'Hagan and John Johnston but not the Kerr sisters.  Do you know Alice Cooke, one of the Murphy's is married to her brother, Alice lived near me in Limerick for 30 years but is now back in Belfast.  Like yourself I have not seen or heard of Maureen Sheilds for years. 

Alice Cooke there were 2 families of Cooke had she a sister called Valerie - the other family of Cooke's had Mary and Evelyn.

irish dance

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 08:26:16 PM »
Alice Cooke there were 2 families of Cooke had she a sister called Valerie - the other family of Cooke's had Mary and Evelyn.
The Alice I know is married to a John Donnelly and I am nearly sure she had a sister called Valerie who lives in Scotland.  Another name I remembered today was Ann Reid, did she dance for O'Connors after Leo Madden stopped teaching or did she go to Anna McCoy's - cannot remember  ???

floral

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 12:40:37 PM »
The Alice I know is married to a John Donnelly and I am nearly sure she had a sister called Valerie who lives in Scotland.  Another name I remembered today was Ann Reid, did she dance for O'Connors after Leo Madden stopped teaching or did she go to Anna McCoy's - cannot remember  ???
[/
quote]

I am going to ask my cousin about the Cooke girls = Anne Reid and her sister Sheila went as far as I remember to McCoys. They still teach dancing in the school beside where I live.  Talk to you soon.

Shylock

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 02:02:34 PM »
Hubby and I are planning a trip to Belfast next year and have been trying to chase up old friends but its very difficult as my girlfriends have probably married and I have no idea what their married names would be, HOWEVER, I do know one of my friends used to go to Irish Dance lessons! I don't recall which school but her name back then was Ailsa Feeley, she was a very tall slender girl [and I am very vertically challenged!] but we were great mates when starting high school. I heard later that she became a nurse. if anyone can shed any light here it would be very much appreciated. I have already located the friend I worked with in my first full time job and whom I haven't seen in nearly 40 yrs! Thanks to the folk on the forum!Bye for now,
Shylock

martins

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »