Author Topic: O'Connor school of Irish Dancing  (Read 6361 times)

Bread Basket

Re: O'Connor school of Irish Dancing
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 03:49:25 PM »
The better half danced at Leo Maddens, early to mid 60's. Our wee Grand-daughter loves to rummage through her Nanny's medals and then skips around the room with me doing diddle Dee Dee music.  :D

martins

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 10:02:31 AM »
hi if m correct didnt leos two sons dance for him,many a time i danced against them.
my name is martin stirling i danced for the oconnor school same era.

martins

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 12:14:47 PM »
danced for o connor school 57/66 at her classes in carrick

Paddie8254

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 07:37:14 PM »
Hi, I danced for O'Connors.  She used to have a class at Miss Dunnes Typing School beside Hoggs at the side of the City Hall.  I started there when I was 7.  Then she moved round to Lombard Street off Rosemary Street, facing the Monico Bar.  I danced for approximately 7 years.  Oh I should say my name is Pat Kane.  Also Mary Armstrong danced along with me, (sister of Gerry Armstrong).  There were The McCabe Brothers, one of them was called Richard and they also had a sister called Mary I think.

Also there were quite a few of the Eastwoods danced also.  The Sterling Brothers were called Brian and Jim Sterling, I think.  I danced the couples with Brian Sterling.  Their dad used to take them for practice.  Also a girl called Ellen Mason (she had very long hair) she lived somewhere on the Falls as did the McCabes.  Another girl called Moira ??????? lived right at the bottom of the Falls, either above a shop, a corner shop.  The Big Girls back then were Maureen Hall, June Betts and there also was a guy who was a Sailor (or on the boats) - the Woodhouses (they had lovely red hair).  I would love to see some photographs as there were many but all lost now.  I remember dancing with a few others at a Nursing Home, Benmadigan Heights.  My photograph was taken and I was holding the hand of an elderly lady who was the oldest person in the Home. 

If I remember anything else I shall post. 

lilybo

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
I went to school with a girl called Eleanor from Andytown  who danced there with her brother, also remember Ellen Mason from St Louise’s, Jim Smith from Beechmount who used to dance there has had his own dancing school in Cardiff for over thirty years.
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.

Paddie8254

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
Thanks for your comment.  Jim Smith sounds familiar, but I cannot picture his face.  Eleanor ? cannot think of who she is.  I must have started dancing around 1960/1.  I came from the Short Strand.  Oh there was a guy called Jim Hyland and he had a sister, can't remember her name, Geraldine maybe.  Anna Fagan was another dancer, I think she was younger than me.  Also Patsy Fagan, there was a big family of them like 13/14 kids if I remember.  Philip Leitham don't know if that is spelled right.

I danced all over Ireland ie. The Guildhall in Derry, The Mansion House in Dublin. another time in Donegal, Open Air Dancing at The Glens of Antrim, Lisburn, Another guy called Damian O"Reilly, he was a bit of a joker, his mum and another man used to bring him along.  I remember his mother was a lovely looking lady with her hair in a bun at the back and red lipstick.  Oh all our yesterdays lol.  I just wish I could remember more. 

lilybo

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
Jim danced with Jim Hyland and Phillip Leatham had sisters who danced Jacinta was one of them, there was a whole family of Fagins all brilliant dancers.

Paddie8254

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
Still can't picture Jim Smith.  Also cannot remember Jacinta Leatham - I think their mother died, not sure.  Yes there was a quare squad of the Fagans and yes they were great dancers.  Should I remember anything more I will post. 

seos

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 05:02:30 PM »
Irish dance, would that be martin sterling from garfield st in the smithfield area,did you know a lily curtis that danced for awhile in o'connor's

lilybo

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 05:05:04 PM »
Did Lily Curtis have red hair and go to St. Louise’s ?

Paddie8254

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »
The Sterlings/Stirlings were from Carrickfergus.  I danced the couples with Brian.  His older brother I thought was called Jim, but someone else called him Martin, I am really not sure of his first name. 

Bread Basket

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 07:28:39 PM »
My sister danced for O’Connors late 60’s

Paddie8254

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
Hi, I am trying to work out when I left O'Connors, it may have been late sixties.  What was your sister's name?

seos

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
Did Lily Curtis have red hair and go to St. Louise’s ?
that's her alright lilybo

lilybo

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 12:18:56 PM »
Yes I remember her, I was terrified of and I don’t know why 😂😂😂😂