Author Topic: best lunch i've had in ages  (Read 4303 times)

karinl

best lunch i've had in ages
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »
I was at the doctors for some tests followed by the usual running around on a Friday. However I had some free time before I met up with my sister and realised I was hungry as I'd been fasting from the night before ...so I ended up in Doorsteps on the Lisburn Road ( almost facing Adelaide Park). Thankfully it was just before the lunch rush about 11.30am so instead of grabbing something and going, I treated myself to the best little escape in ages...

The place was lovely to look at, the sofas were very comfortable, it was cool and airy, the staff were fast and efficient and very pleasant. Most of all, the food was divine. I got a simple roll filled with barbeque chicken and a coffee, but by the time someone had brought it over, it looked like something so much more. The portion was more than generous and the large coffee cup was a treat compared with the tiny cups other cafes serve. The chicken was just beautful. Maybe the lack of food had made me just a little ga ga, but it was just a lovely pleasant time. Also, the cute fella sitting at the next sofa working on his laptop and his iphone was easy on the eye.   

karinl

Re: best lunch i've had in ages
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:37:13 PM »
O.K so no -one replied, no problem I'll talk to myself.  :D

Anyway, I've been back since and although the food was as equally good, I didnt quite enjoy myself as much. I didnt get one of the sofas and sat at one of the small tables which wasn't quite as comfortable. Whilst, the waitress was great, it wasn't the same. There were two suited presumably business men nearby who gave off a condescending vibe as well as dirty looks from one. I dont think the fact I had my sloppy joe clothes on helped. Normally I'm quite decent but had been in quite a rush that day and paint stained jeans didnt help.
To be honest I didnt enjoy the great food at all and came to realise it's not just the food that makes a great lunch, it's everything that goes along with it - the whole ambiance. Door Steps sells great food but the atmosphere depends very much on who is in at the time. I suppose it's much like anywhere. That's my little mission, to source out somewhere where I can have another great lunch.

McNamee

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »
Sorry Karni but there are already a few threads going on Eating.  Maybe that is why you have had no replies ;) :)

teragram

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »
Karinl,  I was in that Doorsteps place with my wife, my brother and his wife one evening. There was a bloke in there who had obviously had a few too many, and he was yelling and bawling. The yells and bawls of him were too much for my brothers wife, who insisted on leaving coz she said she wasn't prepared to listen to his bawls all night.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

pentio

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »
karini

Try the new Kitchen Bar in Victoria Street, great food and very well priced.

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »
"Anyway, I've been back since and although the food was as equally good, I didnt quite enjoy myself as much."

It's never the same the second time around, no matter where you go.  Remember the first visit, and find somewhere else    and remember there too.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Giannineo

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 08:58:30 AM »
Les, sometimes consistency is available.  the taverna on Telendos island... grilled  fresh octopus, fried courgettes,huge salad, home baked bread and a bottle of chilled Liokri wine.....table by the sea with a fabulous view to Kalymnos bathed in sunshine.  it is always as you remembered it from the last time...2 hours over lunch  .bliss...bucketing down here, grey sky....aaaaagh....help ::)

sj

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »
Or Mr G.....the local sailing club at Yorkeys North of Cairns is something else. Sailing clubs that are sailing around the world often put in here and the fish is so fresh that it is just about deceased as it is put on the pan. .add that to the tropical night breeze and the beautiful live guitar music  .ooh not forgetting the gin & tonic ...it is a very nice meal. :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

sj

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
It's a good place for a B.F. meeting ;)

Belle Fast

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »
When do you want me over Sam? ;)

sj

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
When do you want me over Sam? ;)

You and Chris are welcome anytime.???...when are you free.? ;)  Belle you were in H.K. recently...Kathleen and I spent 4 days in Macao and it was really great.  Very different to H.K. and yet only one hr by boat .  Good to hear from you. :)

Kateme

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »
I concur - and my husband has dived off Cairns and LOVED IT!! K
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

sj

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
I concur - and my husband has dived off Cairns and LOVED IT!! K

Wonderful...but did he have lunch....Katem where do you live?

teragram

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »
Wonderful...but did he have lunch....Katem where do you live?

Do you mean,did he have lunch on the way down?
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

sj

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 12:43:47 AM »
No ..silly.  This is a beautiful part of the world.   The best lunch that I have had recently was in China.  We were taken out the back( it has a different meaning in China) to pick our vegetables, then to the fish tank, the beef fridge, and then a hessien sack was opened and I was invited to pick which frog I wanted.???TTAAH :)