Author Topic: Holywood Arches - The Fallen Arches  (Read 11205 times)

jamesbt20

Holywood Arches - The Fallen Arches
« on: July 16, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »
Just wondering if many have seen this video about old East Belfast
I'm actually from Bangor but it kind of blew me away...
One fact being - One side of the Holywood road (inverary Ave etc Playing fields etc) was the sea and that the Sydenham By-Pass didn't exist(Obviously) And that "Strand Town" was named for a logical reason.

That the back of the Newtownards was the beach and that at one end(Arches end) you had the "Long Strand" and at the other - The "Short Strand"

Also the end of Dee Street was basically a Pier

Listen to me!! and I'm from Bangor!!

Hopefully someone of Authority will arrive and lay it out for us!!

.Enjoy!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-993386909645406110&ei=vlNfSte8D9ev-AakvKgO&q=fallen+arches&hl=en

"A paved road from West Holywood is now called Strandtown. The Strand extended to Connswater and was crossed by a ford, and if continued in a straight line across the Lagan it comes out at Waring Street. Lord Avonmore reclaimed part of the causeway across the Strand. There was then no road through Ballymacarrett. Sixty years ago the Queen's Island was a public park with gardens and trees and a great Crystal Palace with a zoological collection. The shallow water behind was used for bathing, and a row of bathing boxes was there, and there was also a bathing pond on the Lagan. Small ferry boats took people across the river for a charge of one halfpenny".

Jon B

Re: Holywood Arches - The Fallen Arches
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:02:25 PM »

Its been posted before James but no harm in a repeat, there is always new people coming along.
 Its a great wee local history video.

Some interesting stuff in your post.

I knew strand referred to sandy beach.
 Since sand is used for glass making thats why there was a glass works at the Short Strand until
 early 20th century I believe.
 Theres a photo on the site somehere of the tower attached to the works.

carbolicsoap

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:02:58 PM »
Thanks for posting that James. O0

I just watched the whole lot,great show.

jamesbt20

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »
Thanks for posting that James. O0

I just watched the whole lot,great show.

No Prob CS glad to be of service....

Since been talking to someone who told me The ship yard was on Queens Island - which was an actual Island(logically enough)
He also told me he was on a walking tour (free) which started at an old grave yard between Carlisle circus and the westlink.... told me about some amazing people who are buried there - including ther guy who invented modern printing. He said the tour took them into Crumlin road jail and down underneath to the tunnel, he also said they were in the "Hanging room" - Must seek this out as I'm getting a taste for all this.. :o
Apparently it starts at that grave yard at 11'Oclock and its totally free.  Don't know if thats every day though... - but ya can't be bad at that?

clown

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 01:43:01 AM »
Thanks for posting this video James. I'm from Strandtown myself and greatly enjoyed that video.

I've had the pleasure of going into the Crum before they tidied it to assist a photographer from Germany. It was a mess but very interesting. I plan to go down again and take a guided tour sometime before September.

I've already looked into it and tours are by ticket only which can be bought for 5 from the Belfast Welcome Centre 3 concession.
You know you can't keep angry at me for long

Andi

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »
Hi jamesbt20

Glad to hear that this 'blew you away'  I certainly enjoyed reading the info about Holywood down to Nards Road - I haven't time to watch the link just now but I will soon.  I sort of knew about the Short Strand but I didn't know about the Long Strand.  Before the railway went through Holywood, the town basicaly ran straight down to the shore.  My gggrandad was a farmer in what seems to have been that area.  The 1st Presbyterian Church web has some info and old pictures of what the area looked like - I think it might also be on the Lennon Wylie site (photos)

I haven't done the tour you're talking about but I have done the jail tour - it's brilliant and well worth the visit.  The tunnel is eerie and, whilst in the hanging cell, I accidently walked under what would have been the noose - people round me yelped and scared the bejeezus out of me saying it was bad luck.  Anyway, keep a wee eye on the history threads - the folk here have brilliant stories and photos  O0

Arlene

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »
Loved the video.
Thanks for posting it  O0
Be kind to one another because everyone is fighting some sort of battle

Denis

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 11:07:19 PM »

thank you for that link

Hendy

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 03:03:16 PM »

floral

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 06:59:27 PM »
Also loved it  thank you

vision tech

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 11:13:12 PM »
Does anyone know where the link at the start of this thread is as it has now gone missing  probably due to how long ago it was posted?

barney bhouy

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »
vision tech you can view it on utube just watched it myself very interesting indeed

vision tech

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
Thanks mate I will have a look

vision tech

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
cant seem to find that link on youtube, can you help?

barney bhouy

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 10:20:18 PM »
if you google hollywood arches east belfast it should bring it up thats how i did it
good luck