Author Topic: Ulster Fry  (Read 78512 times)

sj

Re: Ulster Fry
« Reply #795 on: November 28, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »
 Semolina on a fry doesn't compute? .just like Tomatoe sauce doesn't  :D
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

CMcG

« Reply #796 on: November 28, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
Intrigued (before I try it), how does the semolina that was my school pudding in the 1970s enhance roast spuds?  :)

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Dot/dash

« Reply #797 on: November 28, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
Intrigued (before I try it), how does the semolina that was my school pudding in the 1970s enhance roast spuds?  :)

the dried semolina sprinkled on the drained shaken par boiled potatoes       creates a coating     which when

coated in rape oil    creates a crispiness   without the necessity of animal fat     lots of chefs use this

method    in fact it was a chef who introduced me to this healthy method of cooking roast potatoes     and potato

wedges   
love me          love my gelding     

misssmyth1

« Reply #798 on: November 28, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
Watched the series' Food unwrapped'  very informative  and rapeseed oil has no more goodness in it than ordinary veggie oil and I can honestly say that I have never ever felt animal fat in my mouth afterwards.  not dissing anyones recipes though just saying natural foods are best I never use anything that's been MESSED ABOUT WITH  to '''make it healthy''''rapeseed oi is more expensive as it takes more ingredients to make a bottle    fact. .just use what you enjoy eating no rules says you cant... personally i use real butter not messed about with spreads etc..  we were all brought up on' natural foods' in Ireland and we are all still here!!! enjoy everything lifes tooooooo short...I had potato bread this morning with two eggs from a farm which is half an hour away delicious  hens running around happy

Sandgroper

« Reply #799 on: November 28, 2015, 01:48:57 PM »
D/D

What medium did your mother use for frying?'

sg

doare.

« Reply #800 on: November 28, 2015, 10:06:08 PM »
all oils are 100% fat, have no fibre, or minerals, limited in vitamins....up to 12 or 14 % saturated fats.....in other words they are truly junk foods...
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

sj

« Reply #801 on: November 28, 2015, 10:10:01 PM »
 So we have been mislead and I use Sunflower oil. .organic of course :D     Rice Bran oil which I haven't been able to buy recently doesn't even splash much and is good for frying eggs.   You can get the heat up really high and let the blue smoke waft around the bedrooms. ;)

doare.

« Reply #802 on: November 28, 2015, 10:15:29 PM »
So we have been mislead and I use Sunflower oil. .organic of course :D     Rice Bran oil which I haven't been able to buy recently doesn't even splash much and is good for frying eggs.   You can get the heat up really high and let the blue smoke waft around the bedrooms. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbALgjmZUek&list=PLF9D17B659E0182F7&index=3
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

Bigali

« Reply #803 on: November 28, 2015, 10:20:25 PM »
all oils are 100% fat, have no fibre, or minerals, limited in vitamins....up to 12 or 14 % saturated fats.....in other words they are truly junk foods...

Because of heart problems I would only have a fry about once a month as a wee treat , I use olive oil, not extra virgin, good for cooking the eggs, I can appreciate the need for healthy eating, but come on , let's live a little. My cardiac nurse who I see on a regular basis agrees that a wee vice now and then is acceptable as long as you don't overdo it.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

misssmyth1

« Reply #804 on: November 28, 2015, 11:08:12 PM »
totally agree bigali

Bigali

« Reply #805 on: November 28, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »
totally agree bigali

Had a curry chip last night , my bad !  :D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

sj

« Reply #806 on: November 29, 2015, 04:22:56 AM »

Had a curry chip last night , my bad !  :D

:) ,,,one little chip won't

doare.

« Reply #807 on: November 29, 2015, 06:02:46 AM »

Because of heart problems I would only have a fry about once a month as a wee treat , I use olive oil,  not extra virgin, good for cooking the eggs, I can appreciate the need for healthy eating, but come on , let's live a little. My cardiac nurse who I see on a regular basis agrees that a wee vice now and then is acceptable as long as you don't overdo it.
that's for sure, you can do whatever you are content with...its a "free country" I think..lol    olive oil, or any oill is not a health food..as I already pointed out..   marketing companies sure know how to keep us buying their products. ....we have choices..

sapper

« Reply #808 on: November 29, 2015, 07:08:56 AM »
  he was only talking about olive oil,doare, not all oils plus his findings are 5 years old which means a lot of things have changed since then

sj

« Reply #809 on: November 29, 2015, 07:46:36 AM »
 This is a discusion about the Ulster Fry  ..some members even have a panic attack  if you mention dripping, lard or any kind of oil to fry bread in.   Personally I find  bread fried in Olive oil to be really nice and it becomes quite crisp when you get the blue smoke going :D   Unfortunately eggs don't seem to do well in it. .that's a personal opinion.