Author Topic: PHOTOS OF THE OLD WHITECITY ESTATE ON THE WHITEWELL ROAD  (Read 92046 times)

tboy

Re: PHOTOS OF THE OLD WHITECITY ESTATE ON THE WHITEWELL ROAD
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »
Does the Whitecity still look that today I have never seen a place like it it looks like a concrete jungle no offence intended how would you get to this place if you wanted to see it is it anywhere near Mount Vernon or near there...
the snotters were still tripping yous gits at that time :)

floral

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 11:58:11 AM »
You have just made my day thank you so much

Me again I worked out that this was Portmore Hill and you can just see the
corner of Garton Way. My brother is all delighted as he was like my other brother and sister born there. They were freezing in the winter metal windows that leaked but good big rooms. Plenty of coats needed for your bed in those days!!

citybus

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »
That's a good photo. Look how neat & tidy everything is when there's no cars on the streets. It's a pity it all had to be demolished, but some of the houses on Whitewell Crescent look a bit similar albeit without the flat roofs, I wonder if that was a housing trust development also.

This is how the Snakey Path looks. it seems no one uses it.

floral

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 06:52:18 PM »
That's a good photo. Look how neat & tidy everything is when there's no cars on the streets. It's a pity it all had to be demolished, but some of the houses on Whitewell Crescent look a bit similar albeit without the flat roofs, I wonder if that was a housing trust development also.

This is how the Snakey Path looks. it seems no one uses it.

Hi yes Whitewell Cres, Parade etc were Belfast Corporation houses. My family moved to Whitewell Parade in 1973. Shortly aftewr that NIHe came into being

jj

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »
no thanks  ???

Eleanor

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 09:41:42 PM »
The path beside the White City was called the Wrigley path in the 60s and it was always busy with workers from Felden House GTC and Throne Hospital. Today its called Snakey Path and its always desserted. :)

Not the Wrigley Path, the Wiggley Path.  At least, that's what we called it. ::)
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

Eleanor

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »
Me again I worked out that this was Portmore Hill and you can just see the
corner of Garton Way. My brother is all delighted as he was like my other brother and sister born there. They were freezing in the winter metal windows that leaked but good big rooms. Plenty of coats needed for your bed in those days!!

My family lived in Portmore Hill till 1963 and were very happy there. It was a very friendly place and although the houses looked a bit bleak they had huge back gardens.  I was only three when we moved in 1963 so I don't remember much apart from Mr Major, the breadman. :)

old wallion

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »
Not the Wrigley Path, the Wiggley Path.  At least, that's what we called it. ::)
Yes Eleanor it was the Wiggley Path and not many people would know that in 2009 :)

Eleanor

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »
Yes Eleanor it was the Wiggley Path and not many people would know that in 2009 :)

I have fond memories of the Wiggley Path! :)

monygomery

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 02:30:03 AM »
 l love your photos l can see my house,and remember sliding down the hill in winter and mrs elkies putting sand  on the hill to stop us l was telling my grand child one night about the hill and it was great to show him the photos  thanks

floral

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »
My family lived in Portmore Hill till 1963 and were very happy there. It was a very friendly place and although the houses looked a bit bleak they had huge back gardens.  I was only three when we moved in 1963 so I don't remember much apart from Mr Major, the breadman. :)

Hi Eleanor, I remember Mr. Major the breadman also, I think his name was Billy. Was he the Co-Op Breadman? 

Eleanor

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »
Hi Eleanor, I remember Mr. Major the breadman also, I think his name was Billy. Was he the Co-Op Breadman?  

I don't know.  I used to think his name was 'Jar' because my Mum used to say, 'Right y'are!' :-[

floral

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009, 03:24:15 PM »
I don't know.  I used to think his name was 'Jar' because my Mum used to say, 'Right y'are!' :-[

Brilliant Eleanor you have made my day.

Connor

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »
Hello Floral.

My husband also came from Garton Way in the Whitecity. He thinks he lived opposite to you and saw you last year in Belfast. Would he be right.??????

floral

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »
Hello Floral.

My husband also came from Garton Way in the Whitecity. He thinks he lived opposite to you and saw you last year in Belfast. Would he be right.??????

yes thats correct hope you are all keeping well. You will enjoy the forum its brilliant. Talk to you soon going to watch the ships