Author Topic: PHOTOS OF THE OLD WHITECITY ESTATE ON THE WHITEWELL ROAD  (Read 98560 times)

waite

Re: PHOTOS OF THE OLD WHITECITY ESTATE ON THE WHITEWELL ROAD
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 09:57:57 AM »
Hi am new to all this  but ive been reading some posts over the past week or so and they bring back so many flash backs.I lived in serpentine gardens in the early 70s had a paper round in mortons on the whitewell road think i used to get about 4.00 a week , moved to serpentine road in the late 70s (where my parents still live) lived in the whitecity in the late 80s when i got married (mulderg drive). new houses in the whitecity now and a lot of new faces ,some old ones too .

floral

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 01:21:32 PM »
Hi am new to all this  but ive been reading some posts over the past week or so and they bring back so many flash backs.I lived in serpentine gardens in the early 70s had a paper round in mortons on the whitewell road think i used to get about 4.00 a week , moved to serpentine road in the late 70s (where my parents still live) lived in the whitecity in the late 80s when i got married (mulderg drive). new houses in the whitecity now and a lot of new faces ,some old ones too .

Lived in the Whitecity myself in Garton Way from 1952 until 1970. My parents then moved to the Whitewell Road in 1975. Remember going into Mortons as it was close to my Mums house. 

lilylou

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2009, 11:52:52 AM »
Hi dose anyone remember a girl who lived on the whitewell road around 1974 she lived with her granny ,her name was Sharon Mc Dermot (the spelling could be wrong ),she went to Stella Maris and the house was on the left hand side going down passed the bridge there was two houses before you get to the flats and she lived in the second one (I think this is right ) would love to hear from anyone that remembers her .

scallywag

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »
Hello ,I loved the photos of THE WHITE CITY. My family went to live there when I was 10 (59 years ago)! The houses were very modern ,great kitchens even by todays standards although very cold as someone has already said. We lived at No. 17 Portmore Hill right next to the Crazy Pad. We all thought the house was haunted as we could hear mumbled coversations going on as soon as it was dark! My brother and I were terrified and would not stay in the house by ourselves. The Crazy Pad led to the Antrim Road and on to Belfast Zoo and was well used in those days (1950s) .We only lived there 3 years but  have many happy memories as well. I have been in England for 53 years but I still haven't gotten over leaving Belfast .All the lovely old Photos are great Thank you all for posting them.

floral

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 08:03:58 PM »
Hello ,I loved the photos of THE WHITE CITY. My family went to live there when I was 10 (59 years ago)! The houses were very modern ,great kitchens even by todays standards although very cold as someone has already said. We lived at No. 17 Portmore Hill right next to the Crazy Pad. We all thought the house was haunted as we could hear mumbled coversations going on as soon as it was dark! My brother and I were terrified and would not stay in the house by ourselves. The Crazy Pad led to the Antrim Road and on to Belfast Zoo and was well used in those days (1950s) .We only lived there 3 years but  have many happy memories as well. I have been in England for 53 years but I still haven't gotten over leaving Belfast .All the lovely old Photos are great Thank you all for posting them.

Welcome to the Forum scallywag - As mentioned before I lived in Garton Way from 1952 until I got married in 1970, Loved the Whitecity. Still in area nearly beside Zoo.

scallywag

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »
Hello Floral.Thank you for the welcome and the photo of the Wiggley Path! We used to call it The Crazy Pad. It brought my childhood rushing back. Our house was just right beside it and we spent hours playing there. Then on Sundays we would wend our way up to the Antrim road and The Zoo.Wonderful place the Zoo. I am glad it's still going as I have made up manys a story about it for my youngest grandchild! We used to lie in bed listening to the lions roar. I bet they are even louder for you now!The White City was a good place and the people were great. We all got on well together no matter what we were. I have looked on the internet for quite a long time for Belfast Photos and I am so pleased to have found The White City and The Crazy Pad! Many thanks again. :)

floral

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
Hello Floral.Thank you for the welcome and the photo of the Wiggley Path! We used to call it The Crazy Pad. It brought my childhood rushing back. Our house was just right beside it and we spent hours playing there. Then on Sundays we would wend our way up to the Antrim road and The Zoo.Wonderful place the Zoo. I am glad it's still going as I have made up manys a story about it for my youngest grandchild! We used to lie in bed listening to the lions roar. I bet they are even louder for you now!The White City was a good place and the people were great. We all got on well together no matter what we were. I have looked on the internet for quite a long time for Belfast Photos and I am so pleased to have found The White City and The Crazy Pad! Many thanks again. :)

We used to call it the crazy pad as well. You will enjoy the Forum it is brilliant. Have a good day. Floral

baz77

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
i am new to this.my is mum from the whitecity.she lived at 212 and went to throne primary and graymount she was called rosaleen lendrum she died in 1986.think she left the whitecity around 1972 when she was married in st ninans.i was baptised there.used stay with my nanny in this house aswell she lived there until 1991.used to love walking down the wiggle path with my mum and dad when i used to get dropped of on the bus from carnmoney.

miscolsmith

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2010, 04:47:04 PM »
I loved living in Whitecity... I lived in Thorburn Road loved my garden veiw of the mountain, the snakey path... best little chippy and library with the flats above them. Does anyone remember the roller disco lol

Headline boat man

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2010, 07:23:12 AM »
Went to sea with two White City lads.  Mark Neill and Jimmy McKeown. 1960s

Dummer

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2010, 05:42:58 AM »
My family lived in the White City from the 1950's 18 laragh rd my dad was Frank Connolly I lived in 10 Gunnell hill before we moved to Canada in the late 70's great memories..

jmage

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2011, 03:13:15 AM »
I know this topic is old but I just joined this website and couldn't resist replying to it. I used to live on Thorburn Rd (more towards the crazy path end). Our back garden bordered on the 'back flats'. I know the place is long gone now. When I came home after being away years, my dad took me to roughly where our house was. The view of the 'cavey' was burned into my memory.  I was there for about 13 years. This photo looks really old - the hedges and trees etc are almost non existent. Which view is this? It looks like the crazy path end (?)

I now live in San Francisco) an am wondering if my mum has any photos of the place. My parents live on the Whitewell Rd near Fairyknowe.

Kind regards

John

RobRoy

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
We all thought the house was haunted as we could hear mumbled coversations going on as soon as it was dark! My brother and I were terrified and would not stay in the house by ourselves.
Scallywag those mumbled conversations were only Hedgehogs but they have scared the life out of many people. Put out some cat biscuits and wait, they are quite funny as they push each other out of the way and grunt and snort.

floral

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »
I know this topic is old but I just joined this website and couldn't resist replying to it. I used to live on Thorburn Rd (more towards the crazy path end). Our back garden bordered on the 'back flats'. I know the place is long gone now. When I came home after being away years, my dad took me to roughly where our house was. The view of the 'cavey' was burned into my memory.  I was there for about 13 years. This photo looks really old - the hedges and trees etc are almost non existent. Which view is this? It looks like the crazy path end (?)
I now live in San Francisco) an am wondering if my mum has any photos of the place. My parents live on the Whitewell Rd near Fairyknowe.

Hi John, The view would be at the top of Portmore Hill, with Thorburn Road etc running of it. Good old days, I have not flew very far from the nest just live not far from the Zoo, still can hear the roar of the lions etc. Have a good day, Floral

doonan1

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2011, 04:00:22 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this site - I think it's great - I just spoke to my Dad, he lived in Garton Way, his father was John Coulson Doonan, he was a foreman, worked for the post office, my Dad has the same name. He siblings were May, Mabel and Jim. I'm enjoying reading your posts.

Andrea