Author Topic: PHOTOS OF THE OLD WHITECITY ESTATE ON THE WHITEWELL ROAD  (Read 99021 times)

old wallion

Re: PHOTOS OF THE OLD WHITECITY ESTATE ON THE WHITEWELL ROAD
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2012, 11:15:14 PM »
Does anyone remember "Jimmy the vegetable man" (Jimmy Robinson). I helped out in the van on Friday evenings and all day Saturday.  We covered Floral road, Fairyknowe, Bawnmore and of course Whiecity. I was paid 10 shillings for the two days! We carried fruit, vegetables, potatoes and eggs.

I'm Jimmy Caldwell from Gunnell Hill.
 ;)
Jimmy, The vegetable mans name was Jimmy Carson who delivered in the 60s around Whitewell area. He was a brother of John ex lord mayor of Belfast

jamesie

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »
Different vegetable man - my one was definitely Jimmy Robinson!

old wallion

« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
a few names i remember, lowerys....greers....flemings....cummings.  fittis. .chrytons. .fosters. .dunns.... ...adams. .blacks.....larmours. .smiths. ....mcculloughs....mernes. .mercers.....and many more.
I left Lorna Mernes home from Roller Skateing at the Floral Hall. lol
I delivered papers with Joe Foster who had a sister Ellan and i Knew Ian Lowry, Noel and Norman Morrison and Don Reid who were all good guys. I met Noel last week for thefirst time in 20 odd years
I remember a lad called Cahill who died in his teens from Cancer who would have ran from White City up to Bellevue and back a dozen times a night. He was a young army cadet in the late 60s

patricia2

« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2012, 01:24:45 AM »
hi patricia 2I remember some of those names, gillilands,fentons elwood and especially derek morrow. is he still around.
he was a friend of mine growing up there.
cheers
dendar

Hi dendar.
Don't live there but all I know about Derek Morrow is that he is still in Belfast somewhere We live in Canada been here since 1972. There were two Morrow families who lived in Garton Way. My husband lived in 38. His name is Uel Morrow. He had a brother Fred and two sisters Joyce and Sandra.
Pat.

bevo1953

« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
old wallion....i must know you, i was at the 105th life boys and bb with ian lowry, joe foster and the rest ...would you remember, george perry, edward davis, stephen jones, freddie todd, willie marshall, or the nobles, and spences from serpentine. .don reid is in east belfast and noel morrison is around white city from time to time, what about davey marcus he was in the w. city in the 60s.

Maxie_59-83

« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:51 AM »
 :) I was born and grew up in gunnell hill 59-83,and many fond memory's i have of those times. ::)

frankieleonard

« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »
anybody remember a ann howie who live on the estate moved to watford in london in the middle 60s

floral

« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
anybody remember a ann howie who live on the estate moved to watford in london in the middle 60s

The Anne Howie that I knew lived in Serpentine Gardens/Parade - there were Howies in the Whitecity but I think the girl was called Carol, maybe someone out there can help

frankieleonard

« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2012, 07:42:11 PM »
many thanks floral im going back to 1966 i kew she had a younger sister just seeing this page brought me back to my plaza days and some friends i havent seen since

floral

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »
Does anyone remember "Jimmy the vegetable man" (Jimmy Robinson). I helped out in the van on Friday evenings and all day Saturday.  We covered Floral road, Fairyknowe, Bawnmore and of course Whiecity. I was paid 10 shillings for the two days! We carried fruit, vegetables, potatoes and eggs.

I'm Jimmy Caldwell from Gunnell Hill.
 ;)

Was he a big man with a country accent, I lived in Garton Way and I remember him calling and besides getting spuds etc I remember getting a bucket of kemp apples

Glam Rock

« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2012, 08:35:24 PM »
:) I was born and grew up in gunnell hill 59-83,and many fond memory's i have of those times. ::)
I had a good friend called Maxie who lived there and went off to London to sell Landrovers to the elite
I havnt seen him for a long time.  :)

dendar

« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2012, 11:51:40 PM »
hi floral I knew a carol Hoey, ( thats the way I prononced her name,)she lived on ballyroney hill.
regards
dendar

floral

« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2012, 12:50:41 AM »
hi floral I knew a carol Hoey, ( thats the way I prononced her name,)she lived on ballyroney hill.
regards
dendar

Yes that is right dendar she used to go with Chrunchie Ireland, not sure if she married him - had not thought of these names for years

dendar

« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2012, 12:23:54 AM »
hi floral all those people, whose names float into your head every once in a while from your youth, makes you wonder how there lives turned out.thats why i love this thread, in the hope that some of them will turn up and say hello.
regards
dendar

sandymc

« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »
just come on this thread and wanted to let you know mortons shop was on the white well road near st ninians but barrsys was on the corner of vandyck gdns and whitewell and mr and mrs mcglade had a home bakery behind it there was a barber beside them and then thr harpers house
the first time we came home from australia my cousin sam herron had bought barrsys shop
i grew up in voltaire gdns and my maiden name was jamison and i went to ballygolan and graymount schools :) :)