Author Topic: PHOTOS OF THE OLD WHITECITY ESTATE ON THE WHITEWELL ROAD  (Read 98855 times)

wjmantrim

Re: PHOTOS OF THE OLD WHITECITY ESTATE ON THE WHITEWELL ROAD
« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2014, 12:29:20 AM »
So sorry to hear about the closing of St Ninians . I remember when the church was packed every Sunday morning and evening for both services .I remember parading there for remberance day services with the 31st BB and the Girl Guides ,what a great memory .Was babtized confirmed and married there. Canon Maguire reverend Sullivan and reverend Gough where the three clergy in my time in the church.The Swann brothers both became ministers and Derek became Canon Swann and his brother Edgar on to higher callings in the Church of Ireland.Canon Derek Swann married my present wife and myself in the Belfast Castle in 2006 and we were very honored by the fact that he was a boyhood friend of mine we were in the BB together . Lots of good memories with St Ninians . I hope some of the old parishoners remember the church that was part of their lives So sad but time marches on.

Port lass

« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2014, 07:19:56 PM »
I am so sorry that St. Ninian's is closing too.  I spent my formative years attending there and my father Arthur Moulson was on the vestry.  I was in Brownies and Guides and remember parading on Rememberance Sunday.  When we attended (long time ago!!) Rev. Sullivan was the Rector.  I didn't know that both the Swann brothers entered the ministry, I knew that Derek did.  I rem. their dad Fred very we'll.  Dorothy McKenna took the Brownies and I loved it so much I became a Brown Owl myself.  We always remember the good things instilled in us when young.  God bless.

dendar

« Reply #272 on: August 26, 2014, 01:25:19 AM »
hi maxie did you know what became of john connelly. he had an estranged daughter who was looking for his whereabouts.
he had died and she was looking for his resting place
dendar

Brown low

« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2014, 02:50:38 PM »

My name is Paul Berne. I was in the same class as your dad in Park Lodge. As a matter of fact, I have an old photo of P7 on their last day and your dad is also in it.

Paul did you become a social worker?

Ready

« Reply #274 on: November 27, 2014, 09:50:20 PM »
Anyone remember the Reid's from Garton way

Glam Rock

« Reply #275 on: November 27, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
Anyone remember the Reid's from Garton way
I remember a Don Reid from late 60s, he liked a wee bet on the horses, nice guy

Amac

« Reply #276 on: November 28, 2014, 12:38:48 AM »
Very sorry to hear st ninians closing. I was at sunday school bible class etc there many happy memories. Lots of really good memories.

dendar

« Reply #277 on: December 18, 2014, 12:11:47 AM »
it's that time of the year again,so i'll like to wish everyone in the whitecity, past and present a very merry christmas and a happy new year.
dendar

macroyal

« Reply #278 on: December 19, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
 great jog of memories, i think colin millar was in my class at dunlambert, idris loydd definitely was, hows idris doing anybody know, billy savage was the same yr, i was in the 5th newtonabbey BB out of white house Presbyterian, we had a hall between whitewell and mill road, knew the longlands crowd and some of whitewell and whitecity, i lived up off donegall park avenue, bill dowie was in the 5th as was his older brother, the captain was roy montgomery from whitecity others from whitewell were willie and arthur mcwhirter, paul spence, john freeman,thanks

Brown low

« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2014, 01:12:55 PM »
great jog of memories, i think colin millar was in my class at dunlambert, idris loydd definitely was, hows idris doing anybody know, billy savage was the same yr, i was in the 5th newtonabbey BB out of white house Presbyterian, we had a hall between whitewell and mill road, knew the longlands crowd and some of whitewell and whitecity, i lived up off donegall park avenue, bill dowie was in the 5th as was his older brother, the captain was roy montgomery from whitecity others from whitewell were willie and arthur mcwhirter, paul spence, john freeman,thanks

I am still in touch with Willie and Arthur McWhirter.  Arthur is still  in the Merchant navy and willie has retired with a sore back.

macroyal

« Reply #280 on: December 21, 2014, 06:41:14 PM »
Thanks for that brownlow tell Willie and Arthur i was asking about them, Arthur was in the same class as me and Idris in dunlamert, in 1969 we went to llandudno in north wales with the BB Willie got a huge stick of rock, someone hid it in the piano, Willie walked around for days saying wheres my rock, some one bashed the piano keys and the stick of rock broke, thats my lasting memory of willie, cheers ,
keith

Kaystar

« Reply #281 on: April 06, 2015, 10:52:55 PM »
I lived in Garton Way in the Whitecity from 1952 until 1970 anyone any memories of the estate in that time

branagh

« Reply #282 on: May 04, 2015, 09:46:50 PM »
Hi Macroyal
im Billy Savages sister ill tell him u were asking about him .. hes doing well thanks for asking

macroyal

« Reply #283 on: May 04, 2015, 10:47:48 PM »
cheers branagh, Billy was in the same class as my mate Davy Smith i was in 1r1,r2,r3, and remember Billy well, i left 40 years ago, so i remember how schoolmates looked back then, I have seen recent pictures of old friends and wouldnt recognise them at all, there is a picture of me and ricky jamison on anyone from the shore road, taken about a week before i left, just click on my name and click on posts it will bring up everything i have posted but if you find the picture of me and ricky holding up a bottle of cider, billy might remember me, cheers, keith. post 705 and 728

John B

« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Hi Macroyal
im Billy Savages sister ill tell him u were asking about him .. hes doing well thanks for asking

Hi Branagh, are you the Branaghs from Merson Gds, later from Qeenspark? Did you see the pic. on page 16 of Billy in the Throne football team?

Cheers
John B