Author Topic: 1960s Belfast photos  (Read 7866 times)

BrainstoByrne

1960s Belfast photos
« on: July 28, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »
Hi,
I'm doing a bit of research for a book I'm trying to write which is set in 1964 in Belfast. I'm really looking for photos of Belfast in the mid 1960s. The book will be set in September 1964 so any memories of events, dances, concerts, new venues opening or closing around that time would be really useful. Photos of buildings are really useful, street scapes of local areas but also pictures of people from this year or thereabouts so I can get an idea of the fashions, hairstyles and attitudes and how they really were in Belfast.
I wasn't born until 1977 so I have no experience of a pre-troubles Belfast and I'm fascinated digging up the photos I've already seen of the old Royal Avenue before the glass ugliness of Castlecourt emerged!
The photos won't be used in the book (if it ever gets published) but I'm trying to get a stronger feel for the city at that time so I can build a better picture of the place.  Anything anybody can point me towards or send me I'd be really appreciative - [email protected]
Thanks so much in advance,

Marty

oldboy

Re: 1960s Belfast photos
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »
marty if you look in belfastforum  lines brosthere are four photos about 1963 to 1965 all the best  oldboy

knoxy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:01:09 PM »
I was in Bargain Books, Belfast about two weeks ago and they had a small thin book of old Belfast photos around that year and I think it was £4.99 but can't remember.   Maybe Bargain Books or sometimes Easons would have sometimes have them books.  Good Luck!!   

yourpete

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:10:06 AM »
Hi Marty,

You might have a look through this link for some 1960's photos.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/photo-galleries/all-our-yesterdays-14113631.html?ino=1

Genealogy is like my sock drawer - you find one and its ages before the other turns up!