Author Topic: RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham  (Read 18722 times)

dcarswell

RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham
« on: August 04, 2009, 02:11:48 PM »
Anyone remember or had anything to do with RNAY Sydenham on the Hollywood bypass.    I dont know how many apprentices passed thropugh that place. It started off as RNAY and The RAF took it over.

Des

grannyspice

Re: RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »
I know Sadie Dunlop who worked there in the canteen for a long time. She is over 80 now but still is out and about

greyghost

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:57:50 PM »
My dad worked there for years as an electronics technician.
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

weeman

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 12:08:49 AM »
Served my time in Shorts and was in 2015 Shorts Squadron ATC and did my gliding at Sydenham with the ATC then moved to Newtownards Airport until I got my "B" Licence.
Remember my next door neighbours Boy friend/ husband flew with Queens University Air Squadron and he ran out of power coming in to land and just made it over the railway embankment in a Gloster Meteor.
Often wondered what happened to him.
I left Belfast in 1968 and live in Montreal

weeman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:10:47 AM »
I worked with a Davy Carswell in Shorts Any Connection?

dcarswell

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »
I worked with a Davy Carswell in Shorts Any Connection?
Maybe there was a John Carswell , an inspector I think who worked in Shorts for years and was an uncle of mine but I dont know a Davy. You know the way sons followed fathers in the same job maybe thats Davy's connecvtion. Did you know John?

I served my time as an A/Engine fitter from 67 to 71 and then worked with the RNAY /RAF for a few years. There was an intake of apprentices of about 24 every year.  We didn't do much flying although I got a perivate pilots licence a few years ago just for rhe hell of it.
With 24 wild young fellas it was a bit like the school around the corner but great fun and a great place to learn. I would be interested in catching up with some of the lads ( and Instructors if they are still around) from those days.

The canteen was a great place the only place I worked where they sold beer in the canteen. I do think I remember a Sadie as an attractive glamourous woman.

Des

weeman

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:07:36 PM »
Senior moment? Maybe it was John Carswell. I served my time in the Panel Shop ('51-'55) With the late Theo Wilson who used to play for Brantwood and then Linfield Swifts. He died very young he came from Duncairnn Gardens Brougham St area
Went from Shorts to the "yard" and then Mackies, back to Shorts (Airport on Skyvan) them Came to Montreal Canada in 1968 to Canadair (Bombardier) and finally Air Canada until I retired 1998. Ususlly go back to Belfast at least once a year.
My dad was a riviter, uncle the tractor driver in Flight and service and several cousins all Shorts

weeman

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »
Here is an old photo taken at the flight shed when my late late uncle retired.
He's #5 from left beside Chief inspector in white #6 is my late father

dcarswell

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 09:42:05 AM »
Amazing Picture how have things changed.  ...as has Belfast over the years and I think for the better. We were across the airfield from Shorts and the Skyvan would come over sometines for paint spray in our Dope shop (always a dubious place to work i thought) I have lost all contact with the lads I served my apprenticeship with but that's life I guess.

familyhistorycarswell

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »
Hello , my name is Linda and Im trying to find out a little more about my granda Carswell . He died in the 1980 s maybe 1989 or about and I remember he could play the banjo and worked in shorts as an inspector . I believe he is in the picture as someones great uncle .Would love to hear more about him   .

dcarswell

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »
Hello , my name is Linda and Im trying to find out a little more about my granda Carswell . He died in the 1980 s maybe 1989 or about and I remember he could play the banjo and worked in shorts as an inspector . I believe he is in the picture as someones great uncle .Would love to hear more about him   .

Hi Linda

I had an uncle that my dad, Hugh Carswell, was very close to. His name was Jack (John i think really but called Jack) and I thought he lived in Holywood  I think and he definitely played the Banjo. I remember him playing it very well in our house in Belfast  .blue grass stuff  very good and he worked in Shorts. I have been doing a family history of the Carswell's ( and there are not too many of us around) and I'd love to hear from you.

If you  can email me at [email protected] or post your email address I can send you some details.

Regards

Des 

korky

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
Hi my name is John Savage and I believe I worked at Sydenham at the same time as you. In fact I believe we were in the same intake year. Some of the names I remember from that intake were Michael Watty, Brian Lennox, Francis Burns, Trevor Rogers, Jim Hoyle, Don Tumelty. I also seem to remember your Dad worked there as well, was he an inspector or ratefixer ? My Dad and 2 uncles also worked there and as you said earlier in was like one big happy family. Hope to hear from you if this info revives any memories. 

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 04:17:27 AM »
Here is an old photo taken at the flight shed when my late late uncle retired.
He's #5 from left beside Chief inspector in white #6 is my late father

I remember a lot of them in this Photo.

I worked out in the Flight Shed for about 3 years in

the Inspection Dept., in the late 60's.

What was the name of the Chief ? Inspector :scratch_ones_head:

Big Tommy Kenney ( clean, white coveralls, and white hair, )

front right, died a few years ago.

Global Warming is determined by the AlgoreRythmn used....

Someone said; "It is easier to deceive people, than convince them that they are deceived"

dcarswell

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
Of course I remember you John, Sydenham was a great place and of course the names you mentioned Michael Watty, "Lofty" Burns who actually turn out to be "Lofty" and Trevor Rodgers who played for Linfield"s junior team (where they called the Swifts).   Jim Hoyle went to Tech with me and I think he was a Jimi Hendrix nut.  Trevor, Don Tumelty and Preston Fowles who was from Green Island went off to the NorthWest 200 one Easter with girlfriends in tow and had a great weekend even got to see some of the racing.

I think I remember your Dad, didn't he work in G shop. I really think that it was the best place I have ever worked. Hugh Wilson was another of the lads I think from Millisle he had the coolest A35 van and Ken Dunne who i met here a few years back. I think he works in Scotland now. I met Norman Moorehead who was a year or two ahead of us here too. He was on his way back from Canada. You might remember him?

Yes my Dad was a ratefixer known affectionately (if that can be said about a ratefixer) as McCauseland "because there were no lower rates" if you remember the ad. He passed away in 1985. He was a good man.

And what about the instructors Tommy Hooks, Paddy Mulligan I can't remember his first names was it Andy Renfrew and the really nice a/e instructor who bought the cider for us at the first Christmas. Can't  remember his name.

I hope things are well with you it's been a while we started in 1967 and that's not yesterday or even the day before. It's been nice thinking about the old place.

I often think that a reunion might be nice. Are you still in Ireland?

Talk again soon

Des

korky

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 07:07:31 PM »
HI Des,
 Nice to hear from you again. You are quite right my Dad did work in "G" shop. He passed away 1992.I am still in Ireland living now in Donaghadee where incidentally Trevor Rogers also lives, I see him  around occassionally. Also see Michael Watty from time to time, he lives in Bangor. The instructor who bought us the cider was Jimmy Luke. Other instructors were Joe Flanagan and Fred Hastings who is still alive, I met him a few years backn at the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum where I now work as a visitor guide. His daughter works along with me.  I also met Don Tumelty about 5 years ago at the museum,he was living in Australia and working for Qantas.It does'nt seem 40 years ago that we were all apprentices at Sydenham and I agree with you it was a brilliant place to work. Where are you living now and have you retired yet. A reunion would be a great idea. Keep in touch as it would be great to reminisce. Cheers for now as I am going out for a couple of pints.