Author Topic: RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham  (Read 22044 times)

Bonfire Girl

Re: RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 08:48:05 PM »
Remember my next door neighbours Boy friend/ husband flew with Queens University Air Squadron and he ran out of power coming in to land and just made it over the railway embankment in a Gloster Meteor.
Often wondered what happened to him.

The pilot's name was John Gracey and he served with 502 squadron based at Aldergrove.  The accident seemed to cause quite a stir and was covered by many newspapers, including the News Of The World.  I believe that the dent that the aircraft made in the ground was called Gracey's Hole" for many a year after the incident!

I happen to be his daughter - he is still alive, but has problems with his memory box, so he is unable to comment.

weeman

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »
Welcome to the Belfast Forum. Happy Easter
Meet lots of nice people on all the threads. I'm a regular visitor to Canada today.
Is your mom a newbie Mary Plum? and my old neighbour in Belfast?

Thinking back now it might have been a Vampire not a Meteor

Bonfire Girl

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 10:52:05 PM »
Yes Weeman - I am the daughter of your old neighbour!
Happy Easter to you too

Bonfire Girl

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
Regretfully, John Gracey died last night (aged 83yrs).  R.I.P.

dcarswell

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 12:25:11 PM »

My Sympathies Bonfire Girl

Des

tboy

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 09:06:18 PM »
God rest him.

rjcon

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 09:08:07 PM »
hi des i was in the year after you at sydenham remember you well

dcarswell

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 12:54:49 AM »
hi des i was in the year after you at sydenham remember you well

I'm sure I would remember you rjcon. What's you name?  .Des

rjcon

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:24 AM »
names robin but everbody called me con was in same year as jim campbell terry inch john reynolds and loads more

Livey

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 01:34:25 AM »
I worked in the RNAY at the time the Sea Vixen crashed in Belfast Lough, I also worked in the flight hanger in Shorts during the certification of the SD330. Norman Cowan was one of the key men at the time old Barret was the foreman, Adam Leaman the leadhand.
Livey
Livey

dcarswell

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 10:17:30 PM »
I was in G Shop when she went down although I thought it was a Buccaneer.

The pilot was doing low level float switch tests of fuel jettison. ... I thought maybe I have the A/c type wrong. Heroically he aimed the A/c at waste ground and ejected.  That would have been about 1970 or 71

I often wonder how the Observer felt on command ejection.  safe in a warm cockpit one minute and out in the great blue yonder the next.

Where did you work in Sydenham Livey?  I always wanted to fly as an apprentice and had to wait until I hit 40 before I got the chance and loved it.  I managed to log about 400 or 500 hours in a few types. Mostly Cessna.

I really enjoyed my time in Sydenham. .a great start to a working life

Des

Giannineo

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 10:27:36 PM »
I was in G Shop when she went down although I thought it was a Buccaneer.

The pilot was doing low level float switch tests of fuel jettison. ... I thought maybe I have the A/c type wrong. Heroically he aimed the A/c at waste ground and ejected.  That would have been about 1970 or 71

I often wonder how the Observer felt on command ejection.  safe in a warm cockpit one minute and out in the great blue yonder the next.

Where did you work in Sydenham Livey?  I always wanted to fly as an apprentice and had to wait until I hit 40 before I got the chance and loved it.  I managed to log about 400 or 500 hours in a few types. Mostly Cessna.

I really enjoyed my time in Sydenham. .a great start to a working life

Des
anyone know a Mr.Marshall who worked there in the 60's?- a nieghbour of mine off ORMEAU ROAD

Livey

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »
Hi there I was in B shop and I had worked on that A/C as I had a few sleepless nights worried about what might have been the problem, we did not have the Buccaneer in b shop at that time. I returned to Shorts shortly after that and was there for about 12 years before emigration to NZ working for Air NZ, then I again emigrated to Canada where I spent 26 years with Pratt & Whitney in engine research and development.
Are you still living in N. Ireland?
Livey
Livey

dcarswell

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »
I live in Limerick and moved here about 30 years ago. I worked for a Franco-German company for a long time and was in the technical branch of the company in Ireland. I have been very luck with them and saw quite a bit of the world although I never really got to NZ. We had a subsiduary in the States.

I really enjoyed my time at Sydenham and was fortunate to work with some great people and learned so much from them and the "right " way to do things that I hope has stayed with me all my life.

That Bucanneer must have been another instant as I worked on that but not on the fuel system luckily. Great stories of the characters in Sydenham.

Des

Billy2012

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »
Me DA worked in the Naval Yard,  Jimmy Smyth, lived at Belvoir St/Ashmount Pk. He's in care since June, will be 90 in January.