Author Topic: RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham  (Read 20653 times)

Budore

Re: RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 12:26:32 AM »

I worked there for a couple of years during the early 70's in the Component Fitting Shop.

I remember some of the people that worked there but quite a lot I have forgotten. The few that I can remember that were there in my time are ____ McConnell PTO, _____ Stewart, David (Dipper) Lemon, Paddy Shields, Cecil? Tosh and Trevor (Ringo) _____ labourers and _____ Heggarty who was the storeman.

I can't say that my time there was very enjoyable as there were one or two workers in the CFS subject to blatant religious discrimination, something that I abhor.

B

dcarswell

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
I know what you mean B I worked in CFS for a while reconditioning fuel fow meters in a small test area in the back of the shop.

Although this is about RNAY Sydenham I am trying to catch up with a Walter Carswell who worked in Shorts and later in DeLorean or Fords in Belfast. Walter would br about 74 now and I believe he does great work with NIDA.

I think he may be a relative. Any help or if you can pass on my details

Des

XR219

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:06 AM »
Hi All,
I'm wondering if you chaps know where I could get my hands on a plan of Sydenham from the 70's or early 80's. So far the best I can come up with is a B&W of mostly the shipyard with the western end of RW04 in shot and this 360 ad I got when I was a kid in Belfast. I used to live up in Casaeldona and look down over Sydenham, a fantastic range of A/C coming in and out, loved it. My Dad worked in Kinnegar so was down that way a fair bit. Is there any chance someone could mark up on a copy of the image below what the different hangers were used for? I know the RN moved out in 73, but any info would be much appreciated, types of hangers etc (mostly Bellmans on the RN / RAF side?)
thanks for your help,
Ben.

Budore

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »
Hi All,
I'm wondering if you chaps know where I could get my hands on a plan of Sydenham from the 70's or early 80's. So far the best I can come up with is a B&W of mostly the shipyard with the western end of RW04 in shot and this 360 ad I got when I was a kid in Belfast. I used to live up in Casaeldona and look down over Sydenham, a fantastic range of A/C coming in and out, loved it. My Dad worked in Kinnegar so was down that way a fair bit. Is there any chance someone could mark up on a copy of the image below what the different hangers were used for? I know the RN moved out in 73, but any info would be much appreciated, types of hangers etc (mostly Bellmans on the RN / RAF side?)
thanks for your help,
Ben.

Seeing that plane reminds me of the dare-devil stunts the test pilots for Shorts planes. When visiting dignitaries came to see the planes in action, the test pilots would take the plane up a clatter of hundred feet and turn the plane straight down towards the ground. When, what appeared to be only feet from the ground, they would pull the plane back up and level out along the runway. It was a sight to see; those guys place a lot of faith in those planes.

As far as I can remember the CFS that I worked in was the third building from the left (facing the nose of the 360). I would not be able to tell you any of the other shops. If you contact some of the RNAY guys on Friends Reunited http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk
they might be able to help you.

B

XR219

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »
Cheers for that mate. Given that you were at Shorts you might be able to help me identify these hangers then  :)  (pretty please)

They might be before your time but if you could help me place where they were on the airfield it would be a huge help.
Firstly, a plan to help identify what goes where... (Its just to identify which Hanger the pictures where taken from if possible, the Black square representing the hangers on the south side aren't to scale .)

The first one is the little SC1 in '66...

The second is a Belfast in production in '63...

Once again, any help would be really appreciated and I'll check out Friends reunited.

All the best,

Ben

Budore

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »
Cheers for that mate. Given that you were at Shorts you might be able to help me identify these hangers then  :)  (pretty please)

They might be before your time but if you could help me place where they were on the airfield it would be a huge help.
Firstly, a plan to help identify what goes where... (Its just to identify which Hanger the pictures where taken from if possible, the Black square representing the hangers on the south side aren't to scale .)

Once again, any help would be really appreciated and I'll check out Friends reunited.

All the best,

Ben

Hi, I did not work for Shorts, I worked for RNAY/RAF in the Component Fitting Shop. I could not identify any of the buildings you have highlighted. Sorry I could not have been of more help to you.

B

JIM52

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 09:09:29 PM »

A = Aircraft Assembly Building which has now been extended to build the new wing.
B = C04  where fuselage skin are formed and manufactured.
C = R & D and tooling.
D = Flight shed where fuselage skins are assembled.
all the other hangers are the City Airport but when Shorts owned them they were stores , paint shop and Tucano assembly.
Hope this helps.

XR219

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »
Your a Star Jim, thanks very much. This has been quite a journey this week. My Dad turned up a link (that I must have missed) showing the site in 1943 on another forum. A brilliant read and just goes to show you how long that flight shed has been there, and how much of the "modern" site was sand banks in '43 not to mention the north / South runway which must have been a very dodgy approach.
"wwwDOTww2talk.com/forum/war-air/41220-raf-sydenham-belfast.html" replace the DOT with a "."
All this started because I wanted to "try" and recreate the airport in roughly the early 80's for Flight Simulator. And you can't do Sydenham without doing Harlands (of which there's nothing left) I haven't lived at "home" since 95 and they've done a great job of eradicating almost every trace of the shipyard apart from Samson and Goliath. Its just a great big housing development for those that have more money than sense (sorry, rant over.) When I was a kid, my mum used to take me up to the back bedroom window of our house in Castledona and look down at the Shipyard and Shorts. What a selection of aircraft; Belfasts / 360s / 330s / Sherpa / tucano the odd Skyvan Canberra PR9's occasionally a Trident (diverted from Aldergrove on at least one occasion - must have been a 2 or 1C as you'd never have got the 3B out again lol) later there were F27's / 748's / 146's probably others too. I remember the big SWOPs ship for BP, can't remember the name of her. Memories eh.

connsabbey

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »
I remember it well, from helping my father deliver milk there in the '50s.
The present Sydenham By Pass was a single lane dirt road

Korky 1966

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 02:10:57 PM »
I started in RNAY Sydenham in 1966 when Jack Mc Keown was in charge of the training centre. When apprenticeship was completed I moved to "B" shop when Larry Gibson was in charge. John Douglas, John Higginson, Derek Mc Cartney, and a mr Miller were the Tech Supervisors. Anyone else remember any of the sparks from those days?

cambomj

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 10:41:13 PM »

Hello there,

I know that this is an old post but I am reaching out after having seen this photo.

My Grandfather worked at RNAY Sydenham for much of his life before moving to Australia in the early 1970's and I believe he is in this photo (in the middle). His name was Patrick (Pat) Campbell

Can anyone shed some light on this photo? Its origins, year etc?

I'm trying to piece some information together on my ancestry and I really don't have a lot to go by but this is the strongest lead I have had in a while.

Cheers,
Mark

Here is an old photo taken at the flight shed when my late late uncle retired.
He's #5 from left beside Chief inspector in white #6 is my late father

Livey

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 01:14:02 PM »
Hi Camboji, that photo was taken in the flight hanger of Short's not in the RNAY, you will see in the background the prototype Skyvan so the people are all Shorts employees.
Livey  
Livey

billh35

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15:09 PM »
Is the 10th man from the right Billy Hull? My dad was in Centre 81 and was on Skyvan production. That image is not RNAY but at the main factory.

Vectensian

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
My dad was stationed there in the Fleet Air Arm, 1945 to 1951. He was an inspector of aircraft. His name was John (Jack) CHOAT.

DesG

Re: RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham - Apprentices 1960 intake
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
Hi All, sorry to be so slow in picking up the earlier messages (re April 17 and before). I was one of the first apprentices in the initial 1960 intake. I am looking for some history or memories from around that time. Does anyone know or remember John Gourlay (Donaghdee), Tim Gallagher (+ wee brother Fred), Bobby Potter, Bill Tierney or Dicky Vance? I am keen to hear from anyone who is in touch with, or has news of them. We had to transfer to RNAY Fleetlands in Gosport, Hampshire for 3 years because the Belfast training school had only just been started and there was no training centre. We transferred back to Belfast in September 1963 to complete the final 2 years of our training.

I am currently living in Kings Langley, Hertfordshire, but still attend reunions for DGA(n) and DGEng (Mod PE). I'd be pleased to hear from any interested parties.

Des