Author Topic: RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham  (Read 24258 times)

DJANGO

Re: RNAY Sydenham Later RAF Sydenham
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2021, 06:19:04 PM »

XJ572,
I remember your father very well. I was one of the first apprentice intake at Sydenham in 1960.
We were very envious when Ivan got the position of Flight Test Observer as we were all aircraft crazy. He was the perfect choice for the job - he was a superb engineer and he knew all the aircraft and their systems like the back of his hand.
He was a perfect gentleman and if he is still with us, please give him my warmest regards.

BULGEB

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2021, 08:27:12 AM »
Hi again Bill, yes it is John and Des. Regarding Mike he is still about but havenít seen him in a while. He is not doing too well from what I hear from Tony Campbell who still lives in Gosport. You might look Tony up on YouTube he took up a musical career and did quite well, still does   He posted a couple of videos recently. Funny enough I ended up living opposite Brenda and Sheila when I got posted back here in the early 70ís but lost track when we moved. Alfie lives close to me but havenít seen him for quite a while. He was his usual cheerful self and involved with helping disadvantaged kids in his retirement. Dickie worked at Farnborough and lived in north Hampshire, again last contact was a reunion in the in the 70ís. Got some photos I think somewhere. Chris and I were good friends and worked together for time but sadly lost track when he was posted to Bristol. Will post again soon.

XJ572

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2021, 01:22:36 PM »
 Django
Thanks for the reply and the nice comments about Ivan.
Sadly he passed away very suddenly in 1995 but left us with many happy memories about his time at Sydenham.
I am slowly going through his collection of photos and film from his flying days.

XJ572

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2021, 10:18:36 AM »
DJANGO
Thanks for the message, I seem unable to reply to it.
I did attempt to upload a photo but the system will not allow.

jgou

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2021, 12:12:31 PM »
Django
Read your message. Glad to hear you are alive and kicking. Sorry for the error. Like Mark Twain news of your death was greatly exaggerated.
56 years since we last met. Are you still playing Guitar or was it banjo. I remain in contact with Tim White who keeps in contact with Alf Reed.
Once again apologises for my error. Keep safe

Paul Browne

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »
My father, Brendan Browne, known as BR, worked at Sydenham from 1946 until the place closed as RAF Sydenham in the mid 70's. I remember him playing golf on the airfield. He had served with the RAF during the war and had taken a temporary job at Sydenham until something better turned up! Anyone remember him?