Author Topic: Polish Airmen buried in Belfast  (Read 3449 times)

archivist

Polish Airmen buried in Belfast
« on: August 04, 2009, 02:13:02 PM »
I am writing a tribute to the Polish Airmen of 304 Squadron (NOT FOR PROFIT) and six of them were killed in a crash on the slopes of Mount Brandon in the South:

"The whole crew were killed and their bodies were given an honour guard by the Irish Army and handed over to the British authorities at the Ulster border. Sergeant Naftali Pawel Kuflik was buried in the Carnmoney Jewish Cemetery in Belfast.  The remainder of the crew were interred in the Milltown Cemetery, they were: Sgt Stanislaw Czerniewski, Sgt Kowalewicz, Flight Sergeant Klemens Adamowicz,  Sgt Kazimierz Lugowski andSgt Wincenty Pietrzak." 

Can anybody please advise me where I can get photographs of their graves.  Many websites, including "Find a Grave" show no trace of them.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Neville Bougourd

ned

Re: Polish Airmen buried in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:09:45 PM »
Hi

These are all the graves I found for Polish Forces in Milltown.

Be careful out there folks because they aren't.

ned

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »
These are all I could find. But if you look up CWGC they may have better records for the men you seek. There are a few more men than you mentioned as you can see.

Ned :)

wavey davey

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »
Here are more images of Polish airmen sent to me by my cousin. i think they were killed in and around the Belfast hills.

Wavey

archivist

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:48:25 PM »

NED,

Thank you so much for the pictures.  In a couple of hours I have found what I have been looking for over a period of 2 years.  I will use them in my tribute so please tell me who I should acknowledge for your contribution and for the purpose of copyright.

You are right about there being more than I named, but you have sent me all the ones from the crash I mentioned.  Now I only need the one from Carnmoney.

Only a few of 304 Squadron men had any connection with Ireland but the response I have had from Irish sources has been superb

Thanks again

Neville

archivist

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »

WAVEY DAVEY,

Thanks for the pictures, these are not 304 men but I will share them with other Polish researchers.

The CWGC looks after the Polish Graves but they are not on most of the lists when you do a search so I am really grateful to the people on the Belfast Forum who have responded so quickly.

Thanks again

Neville

ned

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 06:25:58 PM »

NED,

Thank you so much for the pictures.  In a couple of hours I have found what I have been looking for over a period of 2 years.  I will use them in my tribute so please tell me who I should acknowledge for your contribution and for the purpose of copyright.

You are right about there being more than I named, but you have sent me all the ones from the crash I mentioned.  Now I only need the one from Carnmoney.

Only a few of 304 Squadron men had any connection with Ireland but the response I have had from Irish sources has been superb

Thanks again

Neville

My pleasure Neville. Have sent you personal emails on matter.

belle

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:29:44 PM »
thank you for the photo's they made me go all goosey. see how young they all where. R.I.P.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

ned

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »
Young and brave and laid to rest so far from their loved ones. Sad.

Ned

homebird

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I visited those graves in Milltown not so long ago, so sad for those guys to be so far from home, and so young.

Homebird

archivist

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:48:04 PM »
Ned,

I had trouble responding to your personal e-mail so in case you didn't get it, here's the story I was trying to send you

Thanks again for your kindness.  My tribute is now in excess of 200 pages for this one squadron!  What follows is the story of the men in those graves - and you were right, they were brave kids (the oldest was 32).

HF208 (2S)   21st December 1943

While returning from U-Boat patrol over the Bay of Biscay, the aircraft is thought to have been struck by lightning and went down in flames near Mount Brandon in the Irish Republic. The whole crew were killed and their bodies were given an honour guard by the Irish Army and handed over to the British authorities at the Ulster border. Sergeant Naftali Pawel Kuflik was buried in the Carnmoney Jewish Cemetery in Belfast.  The remainder of the crew were interred in the Milltown Cemetery, they were: Sgt Stanislaw Czerniewski, Sgt Kowalewicz, Flight Sergeant Klemens Adamowicz,  Sgt Kazimierz Lugowski andSgt Wincenty Pietrzak.  The following extract is a direct quote from the website of the Warplane Research Group of Ireland:

R.A.F. 304 Squadron, based at Predannack, Lizard, Cornwall, flew Wellington Bombers. The members of this Squadron were Polish. Like many others, they too were involved in hunting U-Boats. On the 20th of December, 1943, their aircraft was seen by several Look Out Posts (L.O.P.ís) skirting along the coastlines of Kerry, Cork and Waterford. Indeed records show that their last reported position was over Lismore in County Waterford heading east-southeast presumably to Predannack. I cannot offer any reason why their aircraft should end up on the slopes of Mount Brandon a few hours later with the loss of all six crewmen on board but I can relate that all the crew were shot by the exploding ammunition in the fire that engulfed the aircraft. All the bodies were recovered outside the aircraft. None suffered burns.

The impact point was on the slopes above Slieveglass, above Brandon village on the Dingle Peninsula.

A large chunk of the aircraft is still lying (today) where it fell all those years ago

Regards

Neville 

PS you wouldn't believe the routes that some of them took to get to England from Poland

ned

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »
Got all your messages Neville. Glad to help.

glenb

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »
I may be wrong, but wasn't there members of the Polish Army buried in the City Cemetary as well as Milltown??

archivist

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 01:26:59 AM »
The information I am gathering has been distributed around the world and is currently being shared all over Britain and Ireland, Russia, Germany, Poland, France, Canada, the USA and Australia.  There are active participants in all the countries mentioned and passive readers in many other countries.

For that reason, I would be delighted to receive photos of any Polish military graves anywhere, so if you have any please post them here.  There are many Polish researchers who would be interested.  I did not know of any burials of Poles in the City Cemetery.