Author Topic: Friends from the Springfield Road  (Read 58974 times)

Hughie123

Friends from the Springfield Road
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:18:51 PM »
Just passed my 60th birthday and can't help reflect on days gone by. Spent my time with a wonderful bunch that lived in or around Springfield Road near the Franklin Laundry, Cotton Mill area.Wonder if anyone would remember them or know where they are today?
David Sterritt,  Big Jim West, Trevor West, Jim Martin, Davie Mackie Geordie Mc Quide(could be a wrong spelling sorry) Ruth or June Downing. Bernard or Henry Heney  Hope someone can help. Thanks Hugh   

The Murph

Re: Friends from the Springfield Road
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 03:51:21 PM »
Did Henry Heany live on the Springfield road, on the side away from the dam? I went to school with him in St Johns primary school down in Colinward street.
Blessed are the cracked, they will let in the light.

Hughie123

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »
That is correct> I myself went to St Johns left in 1960 then went on to St Thomas's
I lived in 440 Springfield Road .My surname is Maguire it's possible you might know me!!!
Hope you are well.

Boo

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »
I used to run about flush with June Downing i think she in scotland or england some of the other ones live Ballygomartin Iloved Springfield Road do you remember Harry Browns chippy we went there every friday night then a guy called Paddy took it over.We ran about with Gerry Crossan Eugine Meekin Hugh Craney the Oneills it was before the troubles .Those were the days.

The Murph

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »
Insert Quote
That is correct> I myself went to St Johns left in 1960 then went on to St Thomas's
I lived in 440 Springfield Road .My surname is Maguire it's possible you might know me!!!
Hope you are well.

Certainly know you. My name is Joe Magee. I remember you well...Hope you are keeping well. I have often wondered how you have been keeping. I moved to Oz in 1974 and been here since.

Hughie123

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 07:00:47 PM »
Hi Boo I think we are talking about hte same June Dowing she came from Clovelly Street was a few years younger than me. Yes I remember the chippy, dont remember who ran it but do remember him being kind to a bunch of lads on cold nights who would share two cokes and a bag of chips between them, he often gave us moer than our measure, allowing the juke box to be played for free. The only O'Neills I knew came from Springfield Parade are they the same ones? Hope you are keeping well Hugh 

Hughie123

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 07:55:17 PM »
Certainly know you. My name is Joe Magee. I remember you well...Hope you are keeping well. I have often wondered how you have been keeping. I moved to Oz in 1974 and been here since.

"Smile for me Joe Magee." Bully man I  certainly never expected to here from yourself again bloody marvelous . Joe to give  a  section of a quote  "like arrows from a bow " we find ourselves in distant places far from familar surroundings holding on to that which is  slowly fleeting, hoping dearly to be given the opertunity to encounter an old friend and remember. Think the   last time  I saw you was in the Murph you had rebuilt a crystal set  and were helping someone fix a puncture. How the bloody hell are you .              A  little about myself Joe . Found and married a lovely girl from Ardoyne  moved away from the troubles and finished up in Sussex.At present absent from work due to illness, boredom has got me in front of a computer. Recently had a walk down memory lane in Belfast,  Springfield road unfamilar to me now ie couldn't find anybody I used to knock about with. Guess the've  moved on too. Was very dissappointed they filled in The Flush, couldn't get up to the Murph road blocked,so something never change.
Took a ride on the Belfast tour bus it looks bloody different without the smog, stayed in the Europa the welcome was just fine.        ... - .- .-.- never was any good at morse code. Here's hoping you are in good spirits and enjoying yourself. All the best Hugh 

AL CAPONE

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »
I lived up there also for 20 odd rs, i know of a Davey Sterritt in his 50's who works in the RVH, i think he lives up that way.

Boo

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 03:23:10 PM »
Hi Hughie the oneils came from springfeild parade do you remember the aikens they still live there i see Jim Martin now and again June lived Clovelly St do you remember the Gambles and Danny Todd It funny how names come back and fond memories Mgoverns shop the corner house and Leggets Ramsey the butchers i fancied Gerry Crossan he was lovely looking lad he lived Dunmore St Then there was the white horse pub and the biscuit factory

AL CAPONE

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 09:06:48 AM »
Leggets was at the top of my street and i know Danny Todd an oul neighbour of mine.

Hughie123

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »
 I lived up there also for 20 odd rs, i know of a Davey Sterritt in his 50's who works in the RVH, i think he lives up that way

Hi Al Is it possible thiat this Davey Sterritt has a wife called Meta? and he lived opposite the school on the Spriggfield  think it might have been 392? If it is and you see him could you get him on to the forum to say hi. Remember Leggets very well spent most of my pocket money there. what about yourself ? hope you are well

AL CAPONE

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 10:18:35 AM »
Doing great thank, i will see Davey hopefully on monday and i will check with him.Do you remember Bairds beside ainsworth ave?

The Murph

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 10:47:30 AM »

"Smile for me Joe Magee."
Took a ride on the Belfast tour bus it looks bloody different without the smog, stayed in the Europa the welcome was just fine.        ... - .- .-.- never was any good at morse code. Here's hoping you are in good spirits and enjoying yourself. All the best Hugh 
[/quote]

Like you I never dreamed we would meet on a place like this. I have been in Oz since 1974 or thereabouts. Before that I was in the merchant navy as a radio officer and the morse is a second language to me. I remember your father took us to a radio club somewhere. I never lost interest. Spent about 6 years in total at sea. You are right about your morse, I cannot read it  :) .
I remember your sister, Betty, who was the mum of the house. I trust all is well with all your family. Like you I have grandkids now but dont understand how, cause I'm not old enufff.. :bad:

McNamee

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 10:52:54 AM »
I remember the Murrays from Springfied Rd.  Joey, Billy and the identical twin girls.

Also The Lamonts from Springfiel  Ave?  I think.

AL CAPONE

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 11:18:03 AM »
I knew Joey well Bernie, he sadly passed away lately