Author Topic: Friends from the Springfield Road  (Read 60621 times)

McNamee

Re: Friends from the Springfield Road
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »
Used to knock about with him in the 60s.  Lovely guy.  Great at the old Water Polo.

Did you know the twins then?

AL CAPONE

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »
I can vaguely remember them Bernie did they live Opp Cupar st?

McNamee

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 11:36:31 AM »
They were Joey's sisters.  Beautiful looking girls.  You are bound to remember them, once seen never forgotten.  Did you knock about with Joey?

AL CAPONE

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 11:42:41 AM »
No Bernie i was much younger, i knew him from when he worked in the butchers. There was Rita and Kathleen Murray, would that be them?

McNamee

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 11:45:51 AM »
No it was Brenda and Pat.  Now they would be around 59, and still as lovely.  They did have a younger sister but I don't know her.   :)

AL CAPONE

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »
Yes i remember Brenda now.

Hughie123

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 01:36:45 PM »
Hi Hughie the oneils came from springfeild parade do you remember the aikens they still live there i see Jim Martin now and again June lived Clovelly St do you remember the Gambles and Danny Todd It funny how names come back and fond memories Mgoverns shop the corner house and Leggets Ramsey the butchers i fancied Gerry Crossan he was lovely looking lad he lived Dunmore St Then there was the white horse pub and the biscuit factory

Hi Boo yes I recall a Leslie Gamble  and a younger girl , for the life of me i cant remember , wait I think it was Irene.    Also  a family   name of MacAvoy  who were very good to me, when  at 9 years old  my mother died.  Yes i to loved the Springfield,  the open spaces,  fields, and of course the much loved and missed company.  Boo did I meet you and would I know you?  Hoping some one has photos of "Cotton Mill, "The Flush",  "Scribbons" or surrondings. I do indeed miss those days and the sense of freedom it had.  I truelly thought any thing was possible as the night air seemed full of electricity. Boo re Jim Martin " marty" if you could  try  and get  him on the forum I would  love to here from him,  mind you the conversion would be long winded as I can only type with one finger and I'm sure these keys are moving from time to time.All the best Hugh 

Hughie123

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 05:37:58 PM »
Doing great thank, i will see Davey hopefully on monday and i will check with him.Do you remember Bairds beside ainsworth ave?

Struggling with memory now, vaguely remember the name. Remember  quite a large shop on the corner of Ainsworth was that it?Do you remember the ice cream shop on the right hand side going up the Springfield, well, talk about time travel, found excatly the same shop and owners here in Sussex.
Had to stop and buy an ice cream and yes there was a queue.What   a turn up now it is sadly gone!!
Would be great to hear from Davey again best of luck. Hugh 

Hughie123

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 09:24:01 PM »
I remember your sister, Betty, who was the mum of the house. I trust all is well with all your family. Like you I have grandkids now but dont understand how, cause I'm not old enufff..

Hi Again Joe, Betty was my aunt, eldest sister was called Annette then came Marion (sadly now dead) then Louise who lives here in Sussex too. Sorry about the morse code if dad was here he could tell me how to sign off but he is also gone and time has distorted my memory.  Have you had a look at this site might bring back some memories also http://www.rushlightmagazine.com/. Got a disc called "Our wee school" from it, it was all about St Johns which has now sadly a row of houses. I know how you feel about the grandchildren, we have 3 two from my son one from my daughter ( living in Gran Canaria). Jo if your happy to tell me a bit more about yourself ie who did you marry etc? We went to oz several years back and had a great time. Met up with our daughter who had taken a gap year she said she saw more the month we were there than she saw the previous11 months.Did all the usual sights Melbourne,Ayres Rock, Cairns,The Gold Coast ,Sydney,then back to Melbourne.Do you ever get back to Belfast? Over Hugh

Boo

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
It was Irene they used to live Highfield if i see Jim il say to him i met Trevor Greer last year he living Bangor did McAvoys have daughter called Barbara and son named Rory Iv been on Springfield regulary and havent met anyone we ran about with did you remember Leslie Bittles and Pearly Wright also a guy called Pat Cash or Cassidy I see Brendan Barrett who used to live near Isadore Avenue Thats when everyone got on and lived together those were the best days of my life maybe i have met you the only Hugh i remember was from Clonard was Crainey

Hughie123

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 07:47:32 PM »
It was Irene they used to live Highfield if i see Jim il say to him i met Trevor Greer last year he living Bangor did McAvoys have daughter called Barbara and son named Rory Iv been on Springfield regulary and havent met anyone we ran about with did you remember Leslie Bittles and Pearly Wright also a guy called Pat Cash or Cassidy I see Brendan Barrett who used to live near Isadore Avenue Thats when everyone got on and lived together those were the best days of my life maybe i have met you the only Hugh i remember was from Clonard was Crainey

Hi Boo thanks for getting back re Trevor Greer hope he is well and happy, Trevor would have been several years younger than me. It was his brother Jim I played around with.The McAvoys I remember were Davey who would be in his 50 and elder sister Patsy. Dont know any of the other names  you mentioned,probably a younger generation. Yes I do agree with you, everyone did get on together,I was in and out of everyones house as they were mine. This is what I miss nost hoping to hear from you again all the best Hugh

AL CAPONE

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 02:07:33 PM »
Hi Hughie, Davey Sterritt came from Clovelly st. Do you kinow of Lizzie Turley or Maggie Black from Clovelly st also?

Hughie123

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 02:32:32 PM »
Thanks for trying Al sounds like it may not be the same Davey Sterritt but wonder if there is any connection? Names you mentioned are familar to me but don;t remember anyone from my age groupe as a child belonging to the familys. Got a Belfast guide book here what was the name of the street Leggetts stood on? thanks again Al.
All the best Hugh  ??? 

AL CAPONE

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 07:33:57 AM »
It was Elswick st, that's where i lived Hughie.

justluvbeingme

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »

hi, boo,  i remember hugh crainey from oranmore st, he had a brother peter, a big sister kathleen and a smaller brother whose name i cant remember,  also remember gerry crossan fron dunmore st, he was very tan if i can rember right, the o'riordans lived in oranmore st, also mccartneys, mcquillans, the smalls, two sisters peggy and eilish i used to play with, still see them now, also see hugh craine now and then,  
jus,