Author Topic: Belfast High School  (Read 25225 times)

Laird Ryan

Re: Belfast High School
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 01:25:23 PM »
On a personal level, Raymond Ardis was a really nice guy, with a strong and openly appreciative female following! Like quite a few teachers in our day, he was a former pupil of BHS. Strangely, all the other geography teachers back then - 'Da' Norman Heaney, 'Auntie' Audrey Thorpe and Sid Farr were themselves alumni of Glenravel Street. But Raymond's prowess lay more in sporting pursuits than geography - and he knew it. He drew the short straw, teaching us 'A' level pupils the finer points of physical geography, while Audrey and Norman cornered the more prosaic regional, human and economic aspects. To put it at its kindest, he found the assignment more than a tad challenging. On one occasion, Raymond drew us a blackboard map of the northern half of Ireland, where all the geology ended, suddenly and inexplicably, west of a line running down from Lough Swilly and bisecting Co Fermanagh. Not long afterwards, I happened to be in the school library and perused a text on the geology of Ireland: sure enough, the front cover had a fold-out map of the Emerald Isle's rock types, the left hand section of which had been torn away. To the amazement of some and amusement of others, Raymond forsook the classroom during the 1980s to become Northern Ireland's Tupperware supremo: a former classmate informed me at the time that Raymond's then wife was earning more as a plastic container sales rep than he did as a teacher, so he decided to up sticks. Not long afterwards, during a trip home from postgrad studies in Canada, I got a sighting of Raymond walking towards me along Royal Avenue, just opposite the old Telegraph offices. And quite naturally, I strode forward to greet him, a smile on my face, my hand outstretched to shake his, etc., etc. But upon seeing me, it was as if he'd just clapped eyes on Joseph Goebbels and/or Saddam Hussein, for his face turned a whiter shade of pale. He immediately propelled himself headlong across the road, narrowly avoiding an army Landrover in the process, and came to rest, face inwards, studying the photo display at the newspaper office . . .

[email protected]

Re: Belfast High School
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2019, 05:52:33 PM »
If anyone was at Belfast High School Glenravel site between 1943-1948, perhaps they remember William Gray who captained the First XV for 2 years and was Head Boy during 1947 - 1948.  William resides now in New Jersey and would be keen to connect with some people who may remember him.  His email address is wgr1234 at aol dot com

Many thanks
ricky m