Author Topic: Tall ships.  (Read 8764 times)

carbolicsoap

Re: Tall ships.
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »
Hi all.  Went to Belfast on Thursday and had a fantastic time.  I went again today and saw the steam ship Balmoral arrive under a beautiful blue sky.  There was also a small plane doing incredible stunts. 
I understand the Tall ships will not be in full sail when they pass Carrickfergus, Cultra, or Bangor.  By law they can only do it once they have completely cleared the lough and moved into the Irish sea.  I've been told it will take them 6 hours to travel out of the lough.

Welcome to the forum David.

What time do they set sail?

David2010

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2009, 11:49:17 PM »
I was told that at Noon they will prepare to leave and at 1pm they will slowly begin to move out into the lough, one by one in a single file formation, and by 3pm they should all be nearing the middle of the lough, slowly channeling out into the open sea and away by 5pm.  It really depends on the weather and how busy the port traffic is at the time of departure.

Kathleen2

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2009, 11:55:55 PM »
That would really be a wonderful sight to see them under full sail.
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

David2010

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2009, 12:16:44 AM »
I think it would be rather difficult to see them 'full sail' from land.  You could see them (with binoculars) from Whitehead, Bangor, or Groomsport as they go full sail in the distance.  I was told the best place to see the actual parade of sail would be those who have boats and anyone on the Copeland islands, the rest of us will just see the 'parade with no sail' I guess.

Jon B

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2009, 09:05:09 AM »
From the council website

The fleet will begin to depart from the Port of Belfast from approximately 12.30 and it is estimated to take 1 hours for the ships to leave.  The impressive vessels should experience a good westerly breeze and are expected to pass Bangor at around 2pm.

David2010

« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »
The Waverley and the Balmoral have just been cancelled.  Due to bad weather they say, but it was likely due to a legal battle and trying to get authorization to be there.  At least I will see the Cruise ship 'Saga Ruby' depart Belfast at 6pm.  Her sister 'Saga Rose' is due to be scrapped later this year.

Flossie

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out to see the ships leave today but I have taken some pics of them on the lough, which I have a view of from the back of my home. I'll post them later, Flossie ;)

loki

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2009, 04:06:36 PM »
just back from watching them leave and it was a fantastic day   good weather and crowds everyone enjoying themselves  ..i think the whole event was a triumph and a credit to belfast and considering the size of the event and the planning involved i would say well done ..a very good visitor map was available free as you walk over the bridge which pointed out all the places of interest and a guy was overlooking the river from the top point of w5 with a microphone telling which event was next..ive been down last three days and i hope this is going to be a recuring theme in belfast as its what this city needs..hopefully it will pave the way for many more

bobdenn

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2009, 04:08:16 PM »
just back from watching them leave and it was a fantastic day   good weather and crowds everyone enjoying themselves  ..i think the whole event was a triumph and a credit to belfast and considering the size of the event and the planning involved i would say well done ..a very good visitor map was available free as you walk over the bridge which pointed out all the places of interest and a guy was overlooking the river from the top point of w5 with a microphone telling which event was next..ive been down last three days and i hope this is going to be a recuring theme in belfast as its what this city needs..hopefully it will pave the way for many more

Well said....

;)

McNamee

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2009, 05:40:54 PM »
Just watched the ships sailing out of the Lough.  A lovely site.  So many people down at the Marina to watch them. :)

Flossie

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »
Some pics of the Tall Ships taken today as they left. The pics were taken from the back of my house which has a view of the lough, although the photos are quite distant. Apologies for the quality. :( ;)

Kathleen2

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2009, 06:56:27 PM »
Wonderful photos Flossie !!! I especially like numbers 3,4, and 5 O0  Thanks so much for taking the time to post them and let others on here see them :)
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

Flossie

« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2009, 07:01:21 PM »
Thank you Kathleen2, you're very welcome. ;)

Rosiejoe

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2009, 07:04:19 PM »
Went to see the Tall Ships today, arrived at The Odyssey carpark at 7.45am.  Had a walk around looking at these magnificant ships then went to Hamilton dock and had a tour of The Nomadic which was very interesting.  The Nomadic was used as a tenure for The Titanic and The Olympic. It should be restored by 2011 at a cost of 7million.

Saw The Tall Ships leaving and then decided to drive to Cultra to get a better view and what a fantastic sight it was, well worth the drive and traffic jams.

loki

« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »